Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 04:52 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tntim View Post
And you won’t find anything in the local media about this. They are smart enough not to bite the hand that feeds it.
And what of all the other articles giving corporations bad publicity? Just Costco is paying out?

You know I adore you but I really find your statement to be absolutely ludicrous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2012, 08:26 AM

213 posts, read 550,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
And what of all the other articles giving corporations bad publicity? Just Costco is paying out?

You know I adore you but I really find your statement to be absolutely ludicrous.
I did not mean to imply that Costco was paying off the media; I was suggesting that the local media would be reluctant to alienate a potential advertiser over what could be seen as an internal issue.

My idea came from a comment a KPD officer friend told me back in the nineties. This was when downtown was getting bad press over an incident in the Old City. He told me that the public never hears about the amount of crime incidents that occur at West Town, because the mall is full of advertisers that don’t want the bad press.

Old 12-07-2012, 12:56 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tntim View Post
I did not mean to imply that Costco was paying off the media; I was suggesting that the local media would be reluctant to alienate a potential advertiser over what could be seen as an internal issue.

My idea came from a comment a KPD officer friend told me back in the nineties. This was when downtown was getting bad press over an incident in the Old City. He told me that the public never hears about the amount of crime incidents that occur at West Town, because the mall is full of advertisers that don’t want the bad press.
The sales department at a newspaper is not allowed to influence the editorial department, ever. I even know a paper that puts both departments in separate buildings miles apart from one another.

The cops sentiment is a common one but not based on fact. If that were the case, then the recent shooting at West Town Mall wouldn't have had media attention but it did. Unfortunately, in this day and age the paper and even television stations don't have the space or time to report every crime. There is just too much darn crime so a lot of it falls by the wayside.

It's kind of funny but when I was a crime reporter I had more problems with the cops and courthouses not wanting to release crime information. It's been some time but that is often still a problem. I've always scratched my head at that but I guess the directive from above has been to keep the crime rate low. However, come budget time it is difficult to justify increases when local law enforcement needs something.

But think about it. Newspapers and local media had a lot to lose by reporting the economy and real estate tanking. Its biggest advertisers are real estate agents, followed by auto dealerships. But it was news and they did. Waltzing fifteen employees out the door? If they knew about it, they'd report it. That's a large number. Reporters, their editors and the editorial board does not care if they are advertisers. Life is not as simplistic as a lot of people think it is.

Old 12-07-2012, 05:27 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,289,485 times
Last week I made my first visit to Costco. We bought a membership before they opened, that was so heavily discounted that it will cost next to nothing. Besides, they have a money back guarantee if you don't like it. We are going to see how it goes until out Sams membership expires, then pick one.

We also watched a special on TV about Costco. I have to say I was very impressed.

My take...
I was easier for my wife to find me in the store at Costco than Sams.
The food samples are way better at Costco.
The $1.50 hot dog special at Costco is tasteless. Sams is much better. The Costco hot dog had no taste. All I tasted was the mustard and relish - no meat flavor.
The checkout at Costco was very quick (late Saturday afternoon). The only time Sams is fast is the business hours early in the am.
It's easier to find stuff at Sams. Costco seems to split stuff up. For instance....coffee is in its own isle, however, if you want the individual cups, you have to go over to where the coffee makers are.
Pet stuff is very limited at Costco - they do not have Pupperonni (unless it is over where they sell the kennels :-) ).
There is a liquor store right next to Costco (but not really part of Costco) where they have a limited selection, at pretty good prices).
While I didn't get to explore the entire store, I will venture back a few more times to see how it goes. My first impression is good.

Oh, they has a grilled sandwich that I saw right after I bought my hot dog that looks really good. At $3.99 it looks like a bargain. next trip I will review that sandwich - and the rest of the store.

Old 12-10-2012, 05:29 AM

950 posts, read 3,190,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Agreed. And I hope that Costco will open a location somewhere in North Knoxville. Costco took over a vacant department store (Sears?) in a mall in Atlanta, I sure wish they'd take over the former Dillard's at Knoxville Center.
Are you talking about the one at Cumberland Mall in Vinings? If so, Costco had the old JCPenney's store torn down and replaced it. Very nice place, but usually crowded.
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I still have never been to any Costco, but I am curious about it. Just dont want to pay for the membership if your not really going to save enough to justify it.
You can go in to browse around the store. If the attendants are at the front door, just let them know that you want to check it out to make your final decision.

Old 02-03-2013, 11:15 AM

1,285 posts, read 2,356,100 times
Costco is doing quite well I read, double the anticipated sales. My source....

Farragut strict on sign control; turns down Costco request » Knoxville News Sentinel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville