Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 06:42 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,027,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by geranium View Post
Is the Calhoun's on the River menu the same as the ones in town?
We visited Knoxville a couple of years ago and the worst meal we had was at Calhoun's On the River. Tired looking over cooked food, wine served in a very small plastic glass, and very poor service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2012, 01:56 PM

950 posts, read 3,193,891 times
The last place I ate in the Knoxville area was McAlister's Deli (at Turkey Creek) several months ago... it was okay, but their sweet tea was pretty good!

Old 08-17-2012, 06:36 PM

394 posts, read 795,421 times
Ate at Otts BBQ tonight. Was disappointed. Meat was cooked almost to mush and had no smoke flavor. Beans came out of a can. Slaw was homemade but unremarkable.

Guess I'll have to be satisfied cooking my own Q.

Old 08-17-2012, 08:00 PM

950 posts, read 3,193,891 times
Not surprised about Ott's. They used to be pretty good until the late 1980s/early 1990s. I have only been to their former location in Farragut near Dixie Lee Junction (Lenoir City).

Old 08-18-2012, 04:03 AM

1,285 posts, read 2,359,494 times
We had Sunspot last night for the first time. It was really great. The menu is different and exciting. Friendly for veggies and those who are not as well. I'd suggest it if you're in the mood for something different.

Old 08-18-2012, 08:39 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,522,967 times
We ate at Chuy's tonight. My review is mixed. First, the good: the food is outstanding!! Our group had fajitas, beef fajita taco salad and enchiladas and all were very good. We also had chips and queso and jalapeno dip of some sort and they were delicious! We had regular frozen margaritas, strawberry margaritas, amaretto sour, and pina colada mixed drinks and they were all very good. The guy who brought our food out from the kitchen was awesome.

What was lacking was the service. The young blonde girl that was running the hostess stand was absolutely awful in every respect. She was actually running customers off. Not only was she rude in her approach she was telling everyone it was going to be a 90 - 120 minute wait and then saying "Do you want to wait that long or not?". There were quite a few people that just said, um, well, I guess not and actually left!!! (omg!) While we were waiting for our table a waiter came out of the bar and took our order; that was nice!!! He was great! While the hostess told us our wait would be 2 hours we were seated in 45 minutes. I guess that is because the people in front of us just gave up and left. The server had a trainee with him and neither of them melted our butter. The manager came over twice with his voice booming like a high school football coach to make sure we were happy. He was really nice but once would have been fine. The other issue we had was the second time we were getting drinks from the bar while waiting we were given the wrong drink and it took over 20 minutes to get the replacement drink. They also charged us for the "wrong" drink. No big deal but certainly a miss in our book.

Would I go back? Yes but I will let the "newness" die down and hopefully the customer service will have a dramatic improvement.

Old 08-18-2012, 11:10 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,391,577 times
Peerless, and because of the poor attitude of our waiter, got a medium rare steak, served ice cold, and when I mentioned I would like a hot steak, his comment was at medium, would not be hot! Very pricy for the food, was great once they warmed my steak, but on a Friday night, we were one of a few tables being served.

Old 08-19-2012, 06:50 AM

191 posts, read 308,625 times
Lunch at Calhoun's TC yesterday.

The fries were hot and wonderful.

The BBQ pork sandwich was barely warm - warm in some places cold in others....as though the meat had been nuked but not stirred?

Old 08-19-2012, 09:27 PM

9,376 posts, read 6,993,181 times
My wife and I took an afternoon trip over to Gatlinburg today.... We ended up at the aquarium and ventured over to No Way Jose's for an early supper. I would say overall the food was pretty good with huge portions. She got the Chile Relleno plate while I got the Fajita Chicken Chimi. Both plates were huge and the flavors overall pretty good. They serve a little side of sweet corn hash which is amazing. The margaritas were on the sweet/sour mix side so overall hits & misses for the meal.

Old 08-20-2012, 05:16 AM

4,704 posts, read 25,318,644 times
When I saw that Chuy's was coming to Knoxville, I searched the web and started reading reviews. Almost all of them said the food was great, but the service was horrible, and the waits were long.
I can't think of any place that I would want to wait an hour or more to get a table.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville