Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 04:50 PM

730 posts, read 1,919,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vet4ut View Post
Wow. The beginning of this thread should be "Only for white, crabby, buick/oldsmobile drivers who want to be ridiculous and gripe about something.I'm a 35 year old doctor who recently moved from Los Angeles. I like riding my bike above the speed limit. And driving on major turnpikes and interstates is not typically fun. However, curvy roads are fun. So how about having considerations for others and not simply whining because you're 55 and having nothing better to do?
How about being smart and obeying the law.

The public roads and highways are not your private road course. Maybe you could show a little consideration for others, even if you are not being paid for it, Doc.

I race and am in the racing industry and people with the attitude that it is OK for them to break the law because they find it no fun at all to obey it, are viewed very dimly, as well ... dim wits.

You want to go fast and over the speed limit, go to a road course. Of course then real talent shows and poor talent shows even more.

I have a few badly injured friends who showed the same brain dead attitude that is apparently common among many riding their bikes on that road. They learned but paid a high price.

Humm,

Can we donate to a fund to increase the police presence on that stretch of road?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 05:47 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,903,083 times
God forbid, People complaining that the state actually WANTS to prevent deaths...

People complained about the tickets issued by Metro Police in Nashville on the stretch of Briley Parkway passing the Opry Mills Mall. Also a place where tons of fatal crashes happend.

Old 05-22-2009, 06:05 AM

340 posts, read 1,189,671 times
Quote:
I like riding my bike above the speed limit. And driving on major turnpikes and interstates is not typically fun. However, curvy roads are fun. So how about having considerations for others and not simply whining because you're 55 and having nothing better to do?
And I'm nowhere near 55 either. Nor do we drive a big car. And, unlike you, we would rather not break the law and risk our lives.

If you took the time to read my post, you would have seen that we have friends who own bikes and they have to ride somewhere else because irresponsible, immature riders drive them away too. And believe me, not a one of our friends who ride is over 40 themselves.

You demand consideration, but offer none yourself.

Old 05-22-2009, 06:19 AM

1,293 posts, read 5,005,429 times
I'm over 55 too....and own 2 sports cars, so I also prefer interesting roads to the interstate. I've driven the Tail of the Dragon and seen how a lot of the sport bike crowd use it. Many of them expect to drive it as if it's a closed circuit race track instead of a public road. That's just stupid and dangerous. If you want to play boy racer wanna be grow up and take it to Road Atlanta or Virginia International Raceway....not a state highway...

Old 05-22-2009, 07:38 PM

851 posts, read 2,459,816 times
Quote:
Wow. The beginning of this thread should be "Only for white, crabby, buick/oldsmobile drivers who want to be ridiculous and gripe about something.I'm a 35 year old doctor who recently moved from Los Angeles. I like riding my bike above the speed limit. And driving on major turnpikes and interstates is not typically fun. However, curvy roads are fun. So how about having considerations for others and not simply whining because you're 55 and having nothing better to do?

What area is your practice in? I want to make SURE that I never support a Dr(?) that feels because someone wants to follow the law and protect their family and themselves (not to mention any innocent people on the road) old and just want to complain. It's ok to enjoy something , but it's NOT right to endanger other people in the process. You are the one that needs to have SOME consideration for others.
Sounds like you're not as smart as you think. Just make sure you have a lot of Dr friends because one day you might need them to put you back together again. And hopefully no innocent person or family will be right there beside you because of YOUR actions.
I have heard of race tracks have you?

Last edited by FLORIDA TO NIOTA 2010; 05-22-2009 at 07:48 PM..

Old 05-23-2009, 05:15 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,520,559 times
Just so you all know, the OP of this thread was back in 2007. Since the crackdown began there have been fewer deaths on The Dragon (I live about 5 miles, if that, from The Dragon). There still were deaths last year and one of them was a man around 40 years of age that was here from Ohio (I think?) with his teenage son. He couldn't maneuver a curve. That one touched my heart; it was supposed to be a fun father/son weekend. Overall, the initiative to crack down on speeding has saved lives from years prior.

Old 05-23-2009, 08:02 AM
JWE

61 posts, read 156,653 times
this mustang club im in is heading over to dragon next month .we have 315 members so they will be like a 100 and something up there

Old 05-23-2009, 09:16 AM

851 posts, read 2,459,816 times
vet4ut - I Hope you follow the rules and regulations of a Dr. and don't break the rules because that's what you want to do, even though it may put other people at risk.

Old 05-23-2009, 09:37 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,391,359 times
Smoky is right on, and I have traveled it many times, in route to Tsaili, for Mtn biking and sadly in my past years as a claims rep, probably worked around 5 different fatalities and always involved a biker, and usually losing control. The best exprieneced riders, are even candidates, as its such a tough road to travel, but when traveling the right speed, is very doable, and not a place for the novice riders.

Old 05-24-2009, 06:46 AM

391 posts, read 1,360,490 times
This is an old post, but I'm glad to hear some of the THP efforts have been working. I'm ALL for toys and having fun, but common sense and public safety trump thrills. I've driven the Tail countless times to get over to Santeelah and Joyce Kilmer for camping/fishing. You know what's not fun? Dragging a 21 foot boat around those curves. Needless to say, I stay within the speed limit, and I've had plenty of bikers either (A) run up and almost slam into my boat motor because they approach me too fast from the rear around a corner when I'm going the speed limit or (B) make me hit the brakes because they took a tight turn in my lane head on and had to swerve back. Very unsafe, especially considering I've got 2500 lbs behind me. Again, I get the thrills, I know curved, windy roads are more fun than straight aways. Maybe having the road shut down to public use on a Saturday for a few hours? But then you're gonna have way too many bikers at one time. It's really a road with no effective way to allow riders safely, and no way to keep them off there if they wanna be there. I am glad the incidents have decreased though, thanks for posting the update Smoky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville