Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 10:52 AM

4,705 posts, read 25,293,104 times

Advertisements

I would say that there is a pretty even spread of slabs, crawlspaces and basements in the East TN area (Knoxville general area). Some of the basements are unfinished, some have a garage, laundry and a large finsihed room, some are fully finished.

It all depends on the lay of the land where the house is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2008, 03:07 PM

592 posts, read 2,134,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
I would say that there is a pretty even spread of slabs, crawlspaces and basements in the East TN area (Knoxville general area). Some of the basements are unfinished, some have a garage, laundry and a large finsihed room, some are fully finished.

It all depends on the lay of the land where the house is.
And how cheap the builder is.

Old 03-05-2008, 04:14 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,132,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb62676 View Post
And how cheap the builder is.
My thought exactly, mjb! Sometimes, nothing other than profit suggests that a slab might be better than a basement.

A builder will charge the same price for the house, but take home more $$$$.

Old 09-01-2013, 08:54 AM

8 posts, read 17,114 times
Default Basements Around Knoxville

Hello, We are looking to relocate around the Knoxville area, and in looking on realtor.com we noticed that almost all of the homes either have crawl spaces or slabs instead of basements. Is there a reason for this? We REALLY want a home with a basement and it's very discouraging not being able to find many. (I do type in homes with basements while searching, but even if it's just a crawl space, it's showing me those homes). Any ideas???

One more question...how are the bugs in the area? My kids want to know.

P.S. We are looking in these areas...for now: Cedar Bluff, Farragot, Lenoir City and Maryville. What's your favorite?

Old 09-01-2013, 09:14 AM

950 posts, read 3,190,849 times
Many of the houses in Tennessee I have been to over the years had basements. My parents' last house in Tennessee had one. I guess that some of the Realtors are just lazy to list everything.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/cooke...tennessee.html

Last edited by Beretta; 09-01-2013 at 09:41 AM.. Reason: thank you Brian, I merged the threads

Old 09-01-2013, 09:32 AM

25 posts, read 131,301 times
Try Zillow.com and you can input an advanced filter in your search; Lenoir City had some listings with basements, very nice looking area. Farragut had some houses with basements on Zillow also.

Old 09-01-2013, 09:53 AM

4,705 posts, read 25,293,104 times
You are not looking in the right places I guess. Basements are quite common in the Knoxville area.

Old 09-01-2013, 11:50 AM

1,285 posts, read 2,356,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetMeOuttaCT View Post
Hello, We are looking to relocate around the Knoxville area, and in looking on realtor.com we noticed that almost all of the homes either have crawl spaces or slabs instead of basements. Is there a reason for this? We REALLY want a home with a basement and it's very discouraging not being able to find many. (I do type in homes with basements while searching, but even if it's just a crawl space, it's showing me those homes). Any ideas???

One more question...how are the bugs in the area? My kids want to know.

P.S. We are looking in these areas...for now: Cedar Bluff, Farragot, Lenoir City and Maryville. What's your favorite?
I love Cedar Bluff, it's where I live.

I also think Farragut is nice with Maryville in 3rd. Lenoir City is too far away and too small for me. Cedar Bluff and Farragut have the best amenities and are in popular West Knoxville.

Old 09-03-2013, 12:14 AM

9,469 posts, read 10,797,949 times
Some have basements some don't. I know some places up north every house has one. In my opinion all basements are potential indoor swimming pools. There are two kinds of basements, ones that leak and ones that will leak in the future. A basement is just a hassle.

Old 09-03-2013, 02:13 PM

79 posts, read 121,119 times
I have a basement and use a dehumidifier to control humidity, no problem. There are more basements here in TN than there were in Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville