Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 02:50 PM

109 posts, read 812,671 times

Advertisements

Having lived for 25 years in Middlefield, Ohio (Geauga County) a heavily - populated Amish area, and now living in KY, I was wondering what areas in a 50 mile radius of Berea, KY might there be some Amish settlements.

I know that when I had my 2 retail businesses in the 70's & 80's, there were some local Amish families that started to buy farm land in Kentucky as the land in Geauga County in Ohio was getting more & more expensive.

I'd like to visit some flea markets they may frequent, as well as some authentic Amish-cooking restaurants. I guess I can do a 'Google' search, but sometimes the best info can be garnered from local people instead.

Any info would be appreciated.

God Bless.

Joe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2007, 03:02 PM

891 posts, read 3,052,115 times
I'm not sure exactly how many miles from Danville it is but Liberty Ky has a large Amish community. There are two general stores,furniture store and a quilt shop. I haven't been in a number of years but I don't recall a restaurant.

Old 05-29-2007, 03:11 PM

Smile Thanks lexingtongal...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexingtongal View Post
I'm not sure exactly how many miles from Danville it is but Liberty Ky has a large Amish community. There are two general stores,furniture store and a quilt shop. I haven't been in a number of years but I don't recall a restaurant.
....I will check that town out. It's a new one to me. Are there some Amish farms in the same locale. I'd like to drive past those & see if any have in-house stores, as they did in N.E. Ohio.

God Bless.

Joe

Old 05-29-2007, 06:49 PM

891 posts, read 3,052,115 times
Yes there is an entire community. You can tell the Amish farms as there are no electric wires from the road to the houses. Often I've seen the farmers plowing fields with horse drawn plows. You'll see road signs indicating to watch for horse and buggies. The community itself is a little bit outside of the town of Liberty. Ask any local and they can point you in the right direction.

Old 05-30-2007, 08:38 PM

965 posts, read 4,498,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suncoastman View Post
Having lived for 25 years in Middlefield, Ohio (Geauga County) a heavily - populated Amish area, and now living in KY, I was wondering what areas in a 50 mile radius of Berea, KY might there be some Amish settlements.

I know that when I had my 2 retail businesses in the 70's & 80's, there were some local Amish families that started to buy farm land in Kentucky as the land in Geauga County in Ohio was getting more & more expensive.

I'd like to visit some flea markets they may frequent, as well as some authentic Amish-cooking restaurants. I guess I can do a 'Google' search, but sometimes the best info can be garnered from local people instead.

Any info would be appreciated.

God Bless.

Joe
I was trying to find "Day Trips to Amish from Louisville, KY," when I found this site. Don't know how close this Amish Community in Marion, KY, is to Berea, but I thought I would post the site anyway (I live in Northern, VA, so I'm not familiar with the area).

I don't know if my link will work - it looks like the URL link is double posting.

Discover Kentucky's Amish Community (http://www.marionkentucky.us/Marion-Kentucky-amish.htm - broken link)

Well, what do you know. It worked this time!

Last edited by virgo; 05-30-2007 at 08:40 PM.. Reason: addendum to post

Old 05-30-2007, 09:40 PM

1,833 posts, read 6,425,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgo View Post

I don't know if my link will work - it looks like the URL link is double posting.

Discover Kentucky's Amish Community (http://www.marionkentucky.us/Marion-Kentucky-amish.htm - broken link)

It's a haul from Barea, about 200 miles or so, Marion is in the western end of the state in Crittenden County. There is also a lot of Amish in Todd Co down south of Elkton and Trenton, also Christian Co, and a few communities spread out across the lakes in Calloway, Graves, Hickman and Fulton Co.

Old 05-31-2007, 04:09 PM

Talking Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davart View Post
It's a haul from Barea, about 200 miles or so, Marion is in the western end of the state in Crittenden County. There is also a lot of Amish in Todd Co down south of Elkton and Trenton, also Christian Co, and a few communities spread out across the lakes in Calloway, Graves, Hickman and Fulton Co.
Thanks Davart. Appreciate the effort.

God Bless.

Joe

Old 05-31-2007, 04:11 PM

Talking Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgo View Post
I was trying to find "Day Trips to Amish from Louisville, KY," when I found this site. Don't know how close this Amish Community in Marion, KY, is to Berea, but I thought I would post the site anyway (I live in Northern, VA, so I'm not familiar with the area).

Thanks Virgo. I'll check this link out. Appreciate your effort.

Joe

Old 05-31-2007, 04:21 PM

Smile Amish

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexingtongal View Post
Yes there is an entire community. You can tell the Amish farms as there are no electric wires from the road to the houses. Often I've seen the farmers plowing fields with horse drawn plows. You'll see road signs indicating to watch for horse and buggies. The community itself is a little bit outside of the town of Liberty. Ask any local and they can point you in the right direction.
Hi lexgal....I lived among the Amish for 25 years. How strict they were depended on that communities Bishop. Some were stricter than others.

We had Amish girls babysit for us; had them put their ice cream in our freezer; had them come over to use our phone & even drove them to town on occasion....We were even invited to a neighbors wedding. They are a unique people.

It is not so much a religion as it is a way of life. There used to be many car-buggy accidents when I lived there in the 60's - 80's.....but I visited Middlefield recently & the main roads now have nice wide paved berms for them. It sure helps safety-wise.

I used to farm & many a spring day was too wet to get my tractor into the fields, but there were my Amish neighbors plowing their fields using their horses.

God Bless.

Joe

Old 06-01-2007, 10:12 AM

14 posts, read 40,067 times
Default Amish

I lived in near Middlefield, Ohio also (Garrettsville) and had amish neighbors. They were great. We have lots of Amish in Breckinridge County and some Mennonites also. They have wood furniture stores, grocery stores and lumber yards. The Amish stores are located on S.R. 60 in Irvington and the Mennotite stores are on 144 between Union Star and Stephensport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky