Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 10:31 PM

122 posts, read 168,880 times

Advertisements

Having been involved in many of these discussions before, I (and many others) would still prefer the term "border state." It's simple: just as easily as I can list 20 things that would make Kentucky seem "odd" as a Southern state, I could just as easily list 20 things that would make it seem "odd" in the Midwest. In truth, it's really more of a three-way split - part of the state is very much like West Virginia, part of the state is very much like Tennessee, and part is very much like Indiana/Ohio. Just go to Google Images and type in "Southern USA map" - you'll see several definitions that include the state, and several that don't. Type in "Midwest map" and the same is true. I personally have no problem saying that certain cities in Kentucky are Midwestern or Southern, but as far as the whole state goes...just too much diversity there to be able to do it in good faith. And just what defines "Southern" and "Midwestern" anyhow? Is Appalachian "Southern" or something else? What about the Corn Belt - is that solely a Midwestern moniker? And on and on. Two people rarely come to the same exact conclusions about those things. It's probably more a mindset, a way of self-identification and cultural habits, than anything else - and even then, there's still wiggle room!

Everything from the climate to the food to the accent shows a gradual, and rarely clearly defined, transition between different cultural influences. Just consider the differences between Franklin, Pikeville, and Covington; trying to apply the same label to all three is pointless, regardless of what a government agency or a single researcher happens to say. It's kind of funny; people in Minnesota usually aren't going to accept the state as part of the North/Midwest, and yet I've met plenty of people in "Deep South" states that won't accept it as Southern, either. That type of cultural diversity is a good thing, and I'm surprised that state leaders don't play on it more when trying to attract growth.

Last edited by florida_guy1234; 05-22-2007 at 10:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2007, 10:38 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,753,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletoes1982 View Post
Kentucky is south. I am in Indiana about an hour away from Kentucky and it is deff different. I went with my sister and asked a man to take a photo of us. Where most people would say "say cheese" he said "say pork and bean sandwich"
I have lived in Louisville for some time and have NEVER heard that!

Old 05-22-2007, 10:38 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,753,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECoast77 View Post
Having been involved in many of these discussions before, I (and many others) would still prefer the term "border state." It's simple: just as easily as I can list 20 things that would make Kentucky seem "odd" as a Southern state, I could just as easily list 20 things that would make it seem "odd" in the Midwest. In truth, it's really more of a three-way split - part of the state is very much like West Virginia, part of the state is very much like Tennessee, and part is very much like Indiana/Ohio. Just go to Google Images and type in "Southern USA map" - you'll see several definitions that include the state, and several that don't. Type in "Midwest map" and the same is true. Everything from the climate to the food to the accent shows a gradual, and rarely clearly defined, transition between different cultural influences. Just consider the differences between Franklin, Pikeville, and Covington; trying to apply the same label to all three is pointless, regardless of what a government agency or a single researcher happens to say. It's kind of funny; people in Minnesota usually aren't going to accept the state as part of the North/Midwest, and yet I've met plenty of people in "Deep South" states that won't accept it as Southern, either. That type of cultural diversity is a good thing, and I'm surprised that state leaders don't play on it more when trying to attract growth.
You probably have more common sense than all our legislators combined. Nice post.

Old 05-23-2007, 12:31 PM

329 posts, read 1,099,984 times
Muahjahahahahahahahaha Oh my GOODNESS that is hilarious!!

Old 06-01-2007, 11:37 PM

301 posts, read 1,372,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECoast77 View Post
Having been involved in many of these discussions before, I (and many others) would still prefer the term "border state." It's simple: just as easily as I can list 20 things that would make Kentucky seem "odd" as a Southern state, I could just as easily list 20 things that would make it seem "odd" in the Midwest. In truth, it's really more of a three-way split - part of the state is very much like West Virginia, part of the state is very much like Tennessee, and part is very much like Indiana/Ohio. Just go to Google Images and type in "Southern USA map" - you'll see several definitions that include the state, and several that don't. Type in "Midwest map" and the same is true. I personally have no problem saying that certain cities in Kentucky are Midwestern or Southern, but as far as the whole state goes...just too much diversity there to be able to do it in good faith. And just what defines "Southern" and "Midwestern" anyhow? Is Appalachian "Southern" or something else? What about the Corn Belt - is that solely a Midwestern moniker? And on and on. Two people rarely come to the same exact conclusions about those things. It's probably more a mindset, a way of self-identification and cultural habits, than anything else - and even then, there's still wiggle room!

Everything from the climate to the food to the accent shows a gradual, and rarely clearly defined, transition between different cultural influences. Just consider the differences between Franklin, Pikeville, and Covington; trying to apply the same label to all three is pointless, regardless of what a government agency or a single researcher happens to say. It's kind of funny; people in Minnesota usually aren't going to accept the state as part of the North/Midwest, and yet I've met plenty of people in "Deep South" states that won't accept it as Southern, either. That type of cultural diversity is a good thing, and I'm surprised that state leaders don't play on it more when trying to attract growth.
The list of Midwestern abnormalities I assure will be much longer. I don't neccisarily consider Kentucky to be a chamellion state. By that I mean I don't think it's so heavily influenced by it's borders that it can be split into regions. On the Ohio river statement....No. Out of every Kentucky border the River is the only one to hold cultural signifigance, enough for people to know once you've crossed it you've entered another region.

As far as Deep Southerners not accepting Kentucky, Well the thread on the general U.S. seems to say that most Southerners do accept Kentucky. From personal experience on the Wikipedia article you and I both know that's pretty far fetched. You can check that pages History with the acception of maybe two everyone who has commented on the Southern (hence Southerners) U.S. talk page of Wikipedia has stated that Kentucky is indeed a Southern state.

Appalachia IMO is more Southern than Northern. When you think about the chain streches through KY, Tn, Wv, Nc, Sc, Ga, Al, and Northwest MS while compared to PA, Oh, and upstate NY. So just from my own personal experience I'm going to label it as a sub region of the South (French Louisiana, Tex-Mex, Delta, ECT).

Old 06-02-2007, 12:14 AM

1,833 posts, read 6,428,545 times
It's SOUTHERN it's always been SOUTHERN and it will always be SOUTHERN.
Southern is a mentality more so than a geographic description.

Old 06-04-2007, 08:48 AM

39 posts, read 150,570 times
We are definitely Southern. I have lived in Kentucky my entire life and if anyone claims that Kentucky is anything but a southern state they are either not from here originally, or have Yankee in their blood : )

Old 06-12-2007, 06:10 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,089,782 times
I know ya'll are tired of this but...... I just got back from a trip to Gatlinburg and saw a murder-mystery show while I was there. One of the actresses (who was from Louisianna by the way) came out to ask where everyone was from. The couple across from me was from West Virginia and the actress called that "border yankeedom" lol but when I answered Kentucky she grinned and said "that still counts".

Old 06-12-2007, 09:10 AM

117 posts, read 518,420 times
Food for thought:

Kentucky's Black population is less than half of the lowest confederate state's (Tennessee w/ 16%).

Also, people mention that Kentucky is southern OTHER than Louisville & Northern KY, but those areas are home to 40% of the population & 65% of the population growth, and nearly all of the state's major tourist areas.

Old 06-12-2007, 11:35 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,089,782 times
angry Aspie I am not sure what you mean by that....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky