Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2009, 12:46 PM

2 posts, read 13,664 times

Advertisements

I have found the love of my life in that town.

I am an African American woman. I see that no black people live there.

Will I be safe?

The one in Edmonson county.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 06:14 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,798,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltzinginMoonlight View Post
I have found the love of my life in that town.

I am an African American woman. I see that no black people live there.

Will I be safe?

The one in Edmonson county.
You will be surrounded by gangstaz, all off da chain, at 1:00am and all night, every night. They act out of control. They come in all colors...white, black, brown. They have loud mufflers on their souped up Caddies with massive hydraulic shocks with ice cream paint jobs that blast "Ice Cream, Ice Cream, Ice Cream Paint Job." You will see graffiti, hear gunshots and watch burning buildings. Oh, and just go to Park City nearby, only ten miles away; when you hear banjo music, pedal faster, because Frank Beard from ZZ Top is coming after you.

(Sike.)

Edmonson County, in reality, is the epitome of safe, quiet and country, I would imagine. I've only passed through there on I-65, but there aren't even 10,000 people living there; Brownsville, I believe, has 800-900 and is the county seat. Very small place; the nearest "big" city is Bowling Green, pop. 55,000, a straight shot down KY 185 from Brownsville. I don't imagine that very many African-American people live in Brownsville, but Kentucky certainly isn't "Old South" anymore, if you know what I mean.

That said, small towns tend to be less accepting of minority or bi-racial couples. Your best bets for a happy lifestyle in Kentucky would be to move with your boyfriend to Louisville, Lexington, Northern KY, or maybe Bowling Green, Owensboro, Paducah, or Frankfort.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:45 AM

1,952 posts, read 4,788,431 times
No, it's not safe there at all. Except for the "love of your life," that is.....

Old 08-24-2009, 08:16 AM

844 posts, read 2,101,108 times
White people are so violent!!! (yes that is a joke)

FYI - Kentucky is the most interracial integrated state I've ever lived in. More so than California. I even see white guys marrying black women here... something I NEVER saw in Los Angeles!

Old 08-24-2009, 12:08 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,309,023 times
Here's the real deal. Brownsville and Edmonston County are a breed apart from most Kentuckians, but then so are nearly every other county's people from their neighboring county and therefore the rest of the state. Yes, you could be in for a bit of rough sailing in Brownsville especially if you expect them to behave according to your expectations and standards. There are exceptions in every county of Kentucky, but 99.9% of all rural Kentuckians are decent people who if given a chance to accept you on their terms will grow to enjoy and protect you. I see more trouble out of liberals coming and trying to bring their politics to Kentucky than any racial issues whatsoever.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:05 AM

84 posts, read 291,257 times
From my experience, Brownsville is harmless. It's a nice, quaint town. Go for it!

Old 09-15-2009, 03:55 PM

871 posts, read 2,247,263 times
brownsville is 0.11 percent black, so there are some black people there. maybe you can find them. i'd suggest maybe moving to bowling green

Old 03-25-2021, 08:33 AM

44 posts, read 34,689 times
Well, here it is 12-YEARS LATER! I don't know if the OP or responders to the original thread are even still on the Forum. However, I am writing this in the event that someone else asks about Brownsville, KENTUCKY in a future search. They can read what I have to say in 2021.

The short answer about Brownsville, KY is that we LOVE it here! It feels more like home in 6-weeks than California did in the last two decades! I moved my family here just 6-weeks ago. That's only long enough, at this point, to make some initial observations, but I'll give it a go. Unfortunately, I cannot comment from the perspective of a black individual since I am white.

We escaped from Commiefornia by dark of night. My family is conservative and we did not fit in there... and that was in San Diego which is probably the most conservative city in California! Also, we are grandparents who have guardianship of three grandchildren. We decided that we had to get them away from there! The CA schools are ridiculously liberal and the student teacher ratio averages 32.

Our original plan was to leave California in 2 more years when I reach 65 and can retire. However, the housing market in So-Cal is going through some strange fluctuations due to the ongoing Covid Pandemic, so my wife and I decided to bail now while we still had reasonable equity in our San Diego house.

The people here are VERY friendly and most are quite "chatty". They love to talk! We do, too, so we usually end up in some fun, animated conversations while in town at the store, bank, P.O., pharmacy, etc. The friendliness does not come across as fake. You feel that these people really mean it when they welcome you to Edmonson County. Then, with the obligatory welcome out of the way, they just LOVE to pepper us with questions about where we came from, what was it like there, why did we leave there, why did we choose to come here, what do we think of it here, etc. Many people in Edmonson County have lived in this area for their entire lives and love it here. They are proud to be from here, but that doesn't stop them from being fascinated about people's stories from other places.

Before this move, we had already spent 2-years just researching where we wanted to move to at retirement. I was never a Boy Scout, but I do believe in being prepared! During that research, our focus had narrowed to just Tennessee and Kentucky. Each state has several cities or regions that we felt would be a good match for us. That focus eventually narrowed specifically to just the greater Bowling Green, KY area. However, we did not want to live right in Bowling Green, so we looked in outlying counties. We are just outside of Brownsville, KY in Edmonson County. It only takes 5-minutes to get from our house to Brownsville and only 20-minutes to get into Bowling Green. That is perfect for us!

For a small town, Brownsville is amazingly well-equipped for all of our daily needs. There are two grocery stores. Their stock does not have the selection or quantities that you can find in a Bowling Green market, but they aren't bad. A trip to Bowling Green every few weeks lets us stock up on what we cannot get here. They have a Sam's Club in Bowling Green. Sadly, the nearest Costco is in Nashville, but even that is only 80-minutes from here!

In addition to the markets, Brownsville has numerous banks, a really nice post office, a top-rated physical therapy clinic (I will be going there tomorrow), a great family practice doctor (who is now my Primary Physician), two pharmacies, three gas stations, a Dairy Queen and a Subway (which is currently closed and may not be able to open). I'd sure love to have an IN-N-OUT or Taco Bell here. Oh well. There is a feed store that is also a pretty well-stocked hardware store. There is at least one gun store, some auto repair shops and even a truck dealership in Brownsville.

The elementary and high schools are REALLY nice! They are newer and quite large. They seem to be very well-funded. The student/teacher ratio averages just 17. Every child is provided with a decent Chrome-Book as well as some school-badged keepsakes. Among the things each child is given is a REALLY nice, expensive backpack. It is theirs to keep. The teachers are excellent! Each called us a few days before our kids went to school the first time in order to welcome them and give us some information about themselves and the schools. Our kids say that they LOVE their new schools and teachers! The schools were a large part of our final decision to move here. The schools in Edmonson County and in the all of the greater Bowling Green area were rated very positively. In fact, Kentucky schools are consistently rated pretty high across the state. Tennessee was lagging behind in that comparison.

It is true that in Edmonson county, the population is overwhelmingly white. There are very few of any minority whether Black, Mexican, Asian, etc. However, in my brief 6-weeks here, I have not gotten the feeling that the white population looks down on any of them or treats them poorly (with a few exceptions, no doubt). But that's hard to gauge at this point. I know how I feel, which is that all men were created and continue to be equal. However, I cannot speak for the locals on that, as of yet. They seem to be very tolerant, but I don't know what's in their hearts. Certainly, it is NOT DANGEROUS here for anyone of any race. This is a quiet and peaceful area. 99.95 percent of the population (my numbers, not their) are practicing Baptists. They believe in their religion and try to abide by their beliefs. Ideally, that would also help them be tolerant of others. I think that most are. With any luck, I'd like to follow up on this post in about 6-months, then a year, to see how many of my initial impressions are accurate.

May God Bless Each of You in All That you Do!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky