Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 06:20 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,807,824 times

Advertisements

If you live in Jefferson County, make sure that you live in the Northeast part of the county or the Anchorage Independent School District if you want great elementary schools. Also, prepare your children to do well on the admissions qualifications for Jefferson County's most selective high schools, DuPont Manual (best in Kentucky) or Louisville Male Traditional. Eastern and Ballard High Schools aren't as selective but still very decent. The rest of Jefferson County, like 95% of Kentucky, consists of schools in neighborhoods and communities where parents just don't place an overall great deal of value on their childrens' education; therefore, those schools struggle.

Oldham County is one of the best, if not the very best, county school district in Kentucky. All around good system. I'd consider it strongly; to boot, you'd still only be 15 miles or less from the arts, cultural, ethnic, recreational, educational (higher ed.), and shopping amenities of Louisville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2009, 12:16 PM

1,448 posts, read 4,793,542 times
Agree with EcleticEars. The Oldham system is first rate and Anchorage is close behind. (But you have to live in the Anchorage city limits, correct?) Also, the Jefferson schools mentioned are also first class.

Old 08-22-2009, 01:16 PM

55 posts, read 272,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
If you live in Jefferson County, make sure that you live in the Northeast part of the county or the Anchorage Independent School District if you want great elementary schools. Also, prepare your children to do well on the admissions qualifications for Jefferson County's most selective high schools, DuPont Manual (best in Kentucky) or Louisville Male Traditional. Eastern and Ballard High Schools aren't as selective but still very decent. The rest of Jefferson County, like 95% of Kentucky, consists of schools in neighborhoods and communities where parents just don't place an overall great deal of value on their childrens' education; therefore, those schools struggle.

Oldham County is one of the best, if not the very best, county school district in Kentucky. All around good system. I'd consider it strongly; to boot, you'd still only be 15 miles or less from the arts, cultural, ethnic, recreational, educational (higher ed.), and shopping amenities of Louisville.

Thanks for all the great info! Seems like living in the Louisville area you get the best of both worlds - a quiet life with good schools and the city nearby. We are really hoping things work out with this potential career opportunity for my husband. One last thing, I know there are definitely 4 seasons, but how extreme to they get. As you can guess winter in CT is pretty extreme and it couldn't possibly be as bad in Kentucky.
Thanks!

Old 08-25-2009, 05:44 PM

37 posts, read 84,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmac62 View Post
It’s dirty: Drive around look at the roadways, medians, bus stops, interstates, and downtown. Look closely at the above. More than likely trash cans are overflowing, bus stops are littered with trash, medians are not maintained, grass four feet tall it is uglyTraffic: This is only one of the cities I know for its size which does not have a legitimate bypass, some will argue that I264 is a bypass but I would disagree, pull up a map and look at this city, then pull up Denver, Chicago, Fort Wayne, IN. Lexington and we could go on and on. Pay particularly attention to I65 coming out of Indiana and South to Louisville. Do you see a bypass which allows out of town traffic to bypass the city from East to West or North and South, no. Traffic is a mess around here. School Systems: Review the Jefferson County School System with other schools across the Nation they speak for themselves. If you live in a cave then you may not have heard about the Jefferson County School System. It is 100 percent corruption. The Supreme Court ruled in 2000 there was no need to continue the diversification plan. Jefferson County School Board decided to continue this practice, costing tax payers millions of dollars in waste for keeping buses, drivers, maintenance, and fuel. This does not include the inhuman treatment of families and children and stress they have caused.Crime: People will argue this however I worked six years in the criminal justice systems in Jefferson County until I could not take it any longer, seeing criminals probated to re-offend over and over again. They will tell you the city’s crime rate is lower than other cities comparable to size, however this is because Louisville Metro incorporated most of the counties smaller communities, so the numbers really do not look that bad, but check it out. Look at the real size of the city before Metro Louisville expanded itself and do a true comparison.Offtopic even concedes Oldham County for schools which I agree with him 100 percent; now remember Oldham County is not Louisville. I think you will be more tolerant of Louisville if you do not live in Jefferson County. I may have a different perspective if I would have been a litter smarter and not bought a house in Jefferson County. The only thing I’m hoping to get across to you is investigate thoroughly before you take the plunge. My wife and I have daughters 4 and 7. She retires in October and we plan on moving to Franklin, Williamson County, TN. As you can see I did not say Davidson County and I love Nashville, but I would not live in Davidson County, TN for the same reasons I am leaving Jefferson County.Good luck on your move and I hope you at least take the advice of not moving into Jefferson County, Choose Oldham and I think you will be ok.
If you were to express your opinions on the city, what would you say?

I guess one man's trash is another mans treasure, Delaney. Born and raised in Jefferson County and have loved it all my life. So you should take a visit and make the decision for yourself.

Old 10-08-2009, 04:06 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,089,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southlouisville View Post
You have hit it right on the head sire. Louisville is one of the dirtiest cities in this whole region. No pride in anything. I've driven probably every street that would be considered a Kentucky numbered road in the city and a whole lot of side streets. So I know my neighborhoods well. I moved here in 2008 and let's just say that it was one of the biggest mistakes people can make. Louisville is not a family friendly city by any means no matter how much the mayor wants to propagandize people.

The streets are increasingly filled with refuse such as food bags, cups, bottles, pop bottles, wood, rubber, and other products. You're likely to get a flat. Even the main surface streets outside of the East End are terrible for cleaning or basic sanitation. I've been quite a few places in this country and the only places that I can remember being as dirty as 1/2 of Louisville is consisted of the ghettos of the northern cities like Detroit, Chicago, Cleveland as well as places like Memphis, New Orleans, etc. St. Louis is another rough place.

As far as the job market here goes, its basically a serf economy with a lot of service industry jobs, retail, poverty level jobs. It doesn't matter what your level of education or skill is because I know many college graduates who are in positions that are very much either entry level or temporary. If you're looking for a career in say accounting or business, you are better off leaving this area and heading north to Indianapolis, Cincinnati, or even Chicago.

Cost of living here is low but what do you expect when the average salaries are 20 percent lower than the USA average and that keeps the cost of living down due to the lack of paying employment. When you do some investigation, you'll find a high percentage of 20 to 30 k jobs but less jobs that pay more than 30 k. Its expected that you lower your standards and not achieve and the reason why the schools are so poorly performing is because the local employers and city fathers have no interest in fixing the schools and attracting living wage jobs. They want a society of serfs and for the most part unless you're in a specialized trade or degree field, its going to be hard to get any real traction.

That being said, it is in places a nice city and the Highlands is pretty nice but its nothing to write home about to elsewhere. It might be sufficient for someone who has lived their life in small towns but not for someone who has spent a multitude of times outside of this region. I recently noticed that Cincinnati and Indianapolis were two of the best centers for conducting a business career and I think either of them are more worthy as economics go.

Louisville has a great restaurant foundation and some nice culture but nothing that really sticks out in my mind. I've dined at nice restaurants everywhere not just in Kentucky. That's the big thing that you have to be able to pay your rent, house payment, car payment, and everything else and Louisville as a city fails the local people in this area. Its also one of the most educationally backward local populations in America. When a state finishes 47th in education and college grads, it says to me that the state does not value education.

By meeting some of the locals here especially in the South End and those areas, Ive noticed that there is a severe lack of education. I'm not sure how these people are to be trained for the jobs of the future if they can't put together even a couple of coherent and well thought out sentences. I've noticed even a few acquaintances who lack basic spelling skills in emails and that is with programs that will correct your mistakes. I'm not sure whether it is laziness or educational malpractice. However, it will lead to the impoverishment of this nation when you create generations of dummies.
Why do I get the feeling this is Visvaldis or however you spell it?

Old 10-09-2009, 12:26 AM

728 posts, read 1,677,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southlouisville View Post
You have hit it right on the head sire. Louisville is one of the dirtiest cities in this whole region. No pride in anything. I've driven probably every street that would be considered a Kentucky numbered road in the city and a whole lot of side streets. So I know my neighborhoods well. I moved here in 2008 and let's just say that it was one of the biggest mistakes people can make. Louisville is not a family friendly city by any means no matter how much the mayor wants to propagandize people.

The streets are increasingly filled with refuse such as food bags, cups, bottles, pop bottles, wood, rubber, and other products. You're likely to get a flat. Even the main surface streets outside of the East End are terrible for cleaning or basic sanitation. I've been quite a few places in this country and the only places that I can remember being as dirty as 1/2 of Louisville is consisted of the ghettos of the northern cities like Detroit, Chicago, Cleveland as well as places like Memphis, New Orleans, etc. St. Louis is another rough place.

As far as the job market here goes, its basically a serf economy with a lot of service industry jobs, retail, poverty level jobs. It doesn't matter what your level of education or skill is because I know many college graduates who are in positions that are very much either entry level or temporary. If you're looking for a career in say accounting or business, you are better off leaving this area and heading north to Indianapolis, Cincinnati, or even Chicago.

Cost of living here is low but what do you expect when the average salaries are 20 percent lower than the USA average and that keeps the cost of living down due to the lack of paying employment. When you do some investigation, you'll find a high percentage of 20 to 30 k jobs but less jobs that pay more than 30 k. Its expected that you lower your standards and not achieve and the reason why the schools are so poorly performing is because the local employers and city fathers have no interest in fixing the schools and attracting living wage jobs. They want a society of serfs and for the most part unless you're in a specialized trade or degree field, its going to be hard to get any real traction.

That being said, it is in places a nice city and the Highlands is pretty nice but its nothing to write home about to elsewhere. It might be sufficient for someone who has lived their life in small towns but not for someone who has spent a multitude of times outside of this region. I recently noticed that Cincinnati and Indianapolis were two of the best centers for conducting a business career and I think either of them are more worthy as economics go.

Louisville has a great restaurant foundation and some nice culture but nothing that really sticks out in my mind. I've dined at nice restaurants everywhere not just in Kentucky. That's the big thing that you have to be able to pay your rent, house payment, car payment, and everything else and Louisville as a city fails the local people in this area. Its also one of the most educationally backward local populations in America. When a state finishes 47th in education and college grads, it says to me that the state does not value education.

By meeting some of the locals here especially in the South End and those areas, Ive noticed that there is a severe lack of education. I'm not sure how these people are to be trained for the jobs of the future if they can't put together even a couple of coherent and well thought out sentences. I've noticed even a few acquaintances who lack basic spelling skills in emails and that is with programs that will correct your mistakes. I'm not sure whether it is laziness or educational malpractice. However, it will lead to the impoverishment of this nation when you create generations of dummies.
A great restaurant foundation, but nothing that sticks out in your mind? Way to contradict yourself, Genius.
Anyways, if L'ville is such a crap town, why do you stay? Are you dependent on that "serf" economy?
BTW, is the OP trying to compare L'ville's bypass roads (Watterson and the Snyder) to lexington's New Circle? Lexington's highway system is a freakin joke. New Circle is what the Watterson was back in 1975....a crowded four lane ring road.

Old 10-09-2009, 06:45 PM

862 posts, read 1,643,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
Why do I get the feeling this is Visvaldis or however you spell it?
I was thinking possibly colonelsmiley75.

Old 10-09-2009, 08:44 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,089,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serate View Post
I was thinking possibly colonelsmiley75.
Probably so, I was just thinking him because he lives in the south end

Old 10-10-2009, 06:45 PM

862 posts, read 1,643,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
Probably so, I was just thinking him because he lives in the south end
I have no idea where any of these 3 live. It was just the negative remarks re Louisiville that make me think that.

That being said, 19 days and I'll be living in south Louisville. Can't wait!

Old 01-16-2010, 07:27 AM

18 posts, read 55,800 times
I wonder where this guy saying Louisville is so bad and dangerous is from? If you think louis Is bad try living in Cincinnati! I have been living in the Miami area, lived in columbus Ohio Cincinnati and Indy, There all FAR WORSE! Cincy is flat out deadly! Louisville is very nice city ANY downtown city has crime trouble. Its urban. I can walk trough downtown Louisville at night. Most other cities of its size..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky