Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2007, 12:17 PM

76 posts, read 366,648 times

Advertisements

Hello. I think we have finally narrowed it down to Oldham County because the schools seem to be amazing everywhere I look into it. Now, we are so very confused, hubby and I, on all of the different cities in the county. We have seen many listiings for homes in Buckner, Crestwood and Lagrange and a few in Pewee Valley. I noticed that Westport, Goshen and Ballardsville are also in the county. Can anyone tell me a few distinct differences in these towns? I would like to be close to Louisville because jobs seem to be very good there. A 20-30 minute commute does not bother us at all. This county seems great for us because I have heard it is a dry county and the schools seem great and homes affordable but I just can't seem to find too many differences in the towns. Also, is there a difference in living North or South of I-71? I see this divides the real estate market a bit? Are there better schools or communities on one side or the other? Thank you so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2007, 01:14 PM

7,071 posts, read 16,766,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ler0719 View Post
Hello. I think we have finally narrowed it down to Oldham County because the schools seem to be amazing everywhere I look into it. Now, we are so very confused, hubby and I, on all of the different cities in the county. We have seen many listiings for homes in Buckner, Crestwood and Lagrange and a few in Pewee Valley. I noticed that Westport, Goshen and Ballardsville are also in the county. Can anyone tell me a few distinct differences in these towns? I would like to be close to Louisville because jobs seem to be very good there. A 20-30 minute commute does not bother us at all. This county seems great for us because I have heard it is a dry county and the schools seem great and homes affordable but I just can't seem to find too many differences in the towns. Also, is there a difference in living North or South of I-71? I see this divides the real estate market a bit? Are there better schools or communities on one side or the other? Thank you so much.
North of I-71 tends to be closer to the river and has a more rural/exurban vibe. Many people love the "upscale seclusion" of communities like Goshen. There are also a few horse farms in this area. Goshen is nothing more than a collection of subdivisions on US 42. Your grocery, Starbucks, etc, will be located about 5-10 minutes away in Prospect, further south on US 42.

South of I-71, it is more extensively developed and more affordable in parts. This includes Crestwood and Pewee Valley. When grouped together, these two areas have nearly 20,000 people and Crestwood was recently named a top 100 city by USA Today, one of the only ones in the Midwest and Upper south region. Crestwood is mostly a collection of subdivisions, a few churches, and your very basic small grocery and services, including a few good locally owned restuarants. Crestwood also offers a few more affordable older homes that are located on tree lined streets with a good amount of land. Pewee Valley is really contigious with Crestwood to the South, and is just a similar community on La Grange Road (KY146). Both communites are within 10 minutes of major shopping centers just across the county line in Jefferson Co.

La Grange is the furthest from downtown Louisville, at about 25-30 miles depending on where you live. The town is the only in Oldham County to have a distinct (cutesy) downtown, which actually is quite picturesque and contains a couple shops and nice restuarants. It even has an old fashioned court house. The downtown area contains older homes and there are newer subdvisions all around near the I-71 interchange. The town is the most self sufficient in Oldham Co. in that it has a few basic chain restaurants, and your basic mega grocery stores like Walmart. Commutes to downtown are usually under 30 minutes, but can be upwards of an hour if you hit heavy traffic or a wreck in the junction downtown.

Buckner is located between La Grange and Crestwood on I-71, about 20 miles from downtown. There are two exits for the town on I-71, but there is not really much in the town itself except about two subdivisions. There is also a planned Buckner Crossings lifestyle center for this area, which will look similar to the Summit in Louisville when complete in 5-7 years (google summit Louisville for reference).

Old 04-26-2007, 09:21 AM

20 posts, read 81,027 times
Default La Grange

We moved here about a year ago from Michigan and settled in La Grange. You can get good value there. We like the downtown area (except the train). Even though La Grange is a little farther away, I'm minutes from I-71 and I can get to my office on the east side in about 20 minutes.

I have a son at Oldham County HS and one at the middle school in Buckner. I'm pleased with both schools. OC is the oldest and largest of the three. I feel they're all excellent schools.

My youngest plays youth sports. La Grange has football teams for all age groups up to 13 in the local youth football league and North Oldham Little League is an excellent organization.

I hop this helps.

JP

Old 04-05-2011, 02:27 PM

7 posts, read 14,863 times
Hi...I see that the last post on this was quite a few years ago....I also am trying to get a feel for the different areas of Oldham County. Any updated information? What about Prospect? I am hearing information that it is a "snobby" area of town? Any truth to that?

Old 04-05-2011, 04:47 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,323,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdingon View Post
Hi...I see that the last post on this was quite a few years ago....I also am trying to get a feel for the different areas of Oldham County. Any updated information? What about Prospect? I am hearing information that it is a "snobby" area of town? Any truth to that?
Not certain what you would want in updated info, but the prices of homes are steady to just a few points down. Prospect is actually in Jefferson County, but many Oldham County residents do have a Prospect mailing address. Snobby, naw. The people of Oldham County by and large are the most non-snobs you'll ever meet. If you run into a snob in Oldham County, they most likely are a recent imigrant or they don't actually live here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky