Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2007, 08:32 PM

21 posts, read 106,812 times

Advertisements

I am looking to relocate from the UP of Michigan. I am not too sure where I will move, but I have been thinking about Lexington. I am not into the party scene, so I don't need a lot of night spots, but I still like to go out to concerts, good restaurants, movies, etc and I enjoy shopping. I don't have a college education, but I have a good work record. I have mainly done office/clerical work. Is it hard to find work in that field that pays well enough to support yourself there? Also, would you recommend moving to Lexington, or some smaller suburbs? What are the pros and cons of Lexington? How is the weather, are there a lot of severe weather problems (tornados)? I have also been considering Nashville, TN, or thereabouts. Is Lexington a better choice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2007, 02:42 PM

7,078 posts, read 16,796,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by music83lover2001 View Post
I am looking to relocate from the UP of Michigan. I am not too sure where I will move, but I have been thinking about Lexington. I am not into the party scene, so I don't need a lot of night spots, but I still like to go out to concerts, good restaurants, movies, etc and I enjoy shopping. I don't have a college education, but I have a good work record. I have mainly done office/clerical work. Is it hard to find work in that field that pays well enough to support yourself there? Also, would you recommend moving to Lexington, or some smaller suburbs? What are the pros and cons of Lexington? How is the weather, are there a lot of severe weather problems (tornados)? I have also been considering Nashville, TN, or thereabouts. Is Lexington a better choice?

Nashville is over three times the size of Lexington. The only comprably sized city to Nashville in KY is Louisville, and even Louisville is a hair smaller. Lexington is a nice city but will offer alot less to do for a young person than Louisville or Nashville. Of the three, Nashville has the worst traffic and is probably more expensive. At the same time, Nashville has a way better music scene. The music scene in Louisville is also decent, and there are some really cool record stores and little shops. I think you would love the area around Bardstown Road and Eastern Parkway in Louisville. The music scene in Lexington is mostly based around student bands from UK. The Dame is a good place to see a show. However, in KY, Louisville offers a lot more jobs and higher paying ones too.

Old 04-16-2007, 05:36 AM

21 posts, read 106,812 times
stx12499, thanks so much for your post! You have given me some great information. I hadn't really even given thought to Louisville, but I am definately going to check it out. I think, as much as I love the music, Nashville may be out of my price range and I definately would like to not have to deal with horrific traffic. I am from a small town, so I don't want to move to a huge city, but I think Lexington or Louisville would be options. I like the possibility of higher paying jobs in Louisville, too. If you have any other tips or advice for me, I would totally appreciate it! Thanks so much!

Old 04-16-2007, 09:08 AM

15 posts, read 58,541 times
Default Check out Hopkinsville

You might want to check out Hopkinsville, KY at www.movetohopkinsville.com.

Hopkinsville is less than an hour from Nashville and offers many amenities of a bigger city with the closeness of a small town community. With a population just at 30,000, Hopkinsville is a great community for those looking to have their space but still have access to everything.

There's a very affordable cost of living in Hopkinsville, tons of recreation opportunities, and just great people in general. Check it out if you get a chance!

Old 04-16-2007, 10:40 AM

7,078 posts, read 16,796,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by music83lover2001 View Post
stx12499, thanks so much for your post! You have given me some great information. I hadn't really even given thought to Louisville, but I am definately going to check it out. I think, as much as I love the music, Nashville may be out of my price range and I definately would like to not have to deal with horrific traffic. I am from a small town, so I don't want to move to a huge city, but I think Lexington or Louisville would be options. I like the possibility of higher paying jobs in Louisville, too. If you have any other tips or advice for me, I would totally appreciate it! Thanks so much!
basically, i would check out both Lexington and Louisville. They are only an hour apart, so many people travel between them. Decide which one you like better, but I will tell you Louisville is substantially larger and it feels that way. As I said, Nashville and Louisville are roughly the same size, but Louisville seems to have less traffic. It also is not growing as fast as Nashville. I think you will find a lot more opportunity in Louisville as a non university student than you would in Lexington as there are more jobs. There is also a larger and stronger local music circuit in Louisville. You may want to check out two online weekly alternative magazines to get a feel on the happenings in Louisville each week and the vibe of the city. These magazines can be picked up at many local shops especially downtown and the near in neighborhoods like the Highlands and Crescent Hill.

www.leoweekly.com

www.velocityweekly.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky