Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2007, 06:02 PM

3 posts, read 11,877 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone!
I am so excited to have found a forum like this. I didn't even know such things existed! I've spent the last 3 weeks searching the internet for some comprehensive info about relocating to Kentucky and this has, by far, been the best!
My fiance has just taken a job in London. We were down there last weekend to look around, but I really wasn't "moved". I guess I'm really looking for a town with charm. I took him down this past Sunday so he could begin the search for homes and on my way home (I'm from Ohio) I drove through Berea. I fell in love! It is exactly the type of town I'm looking for...old buildings and homes; quaint streets; small town feel.
I guess my biggest concern is schooling. I have a 16 year old and a 7 year old. I checked out the school report cards for Madison Central and Madison South. I think Madison South seems more like a fit. They are both in to cheerleading; the oldest is in to tennis and the youngest wants to either dance or do soccer.
I am not dead-set on living there, but it does seem to fit me well. I am a huge lover of the arts. However, I'd be open to any similar town within 30-40minutes of London, in any direction.
Any imput from y'all (can't wait to add that to my vocab!) will be very much appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Lisa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2007, 03:38 AM

850 posts, read 3,160,678 times
You need to send a pm to suncoastman - he is from Florida - and is visiting berea again this week (left yesterday) tolook at a a few properties in Berea.
He and his wife - like you - fell in love with the area, and Good Lord willing - will be moving this spring.

I am sure he checks in from time to time while he is traveling - so send him a message. I know he can help.

Also kichenwich here n the board has alot of info in that area. You may also send her a message for info. She has been quite a help!

Good luck to you - It's hard NOT to fall in love with the hills and people and just the overall feel of the place - abd Berea is such a friendly, arts and crafts town - just amazing!

Berea College is ther in town, and while geared toward the arts - it offers more than just art degrees. They have special programs which allow you to work your way through. For High School and below, check out this link:

http://www.education.ky.gov/KDE/ - this site will give you info and contacts to every school system in the state, and if you contact them by email - they are very good at getting back with you. They will also send packets of information to help you decide where to 'plant' your little ones!

Good Luck to you, and welcome!

Old 03-01-2007, 04:24 AM

190 posts, read 812,822 times
Default Schools of Berea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure Romance Gal View Post
Hi Everyone!
I am so excited to have found a forum like this. I didn't even know such things existed! I've spent the last 3 weeks searching the internet for some comprehensive info about relocating to Kentucky and this has, by far, been the best!
My fiance has just taken a job in London. We were down there last weekend to look around, but I really wasn't "moved". I guess I'm really looking for a town with charm. I took him down this past Sunday so he could begin the search for homes and on my way home (I'm from Ohio) I drove through Berea. I fell in love! It is exactly the type of town I'm looking for...old buildings and homes; quaint streets; small town feel.
I guess my biggest concern is schooling. I have a 16 year old and a 7 year old. I checked out the school report cards for Madison Central and Madison South. I think Madison South seems more like a fit. They are both in to cheerleading; the oldest is in to tennis and the youngest wants to either dance or do soccer.
I am not dead-set on living there, but it does seem to fit me well. I am a huge lover of the arts. However, I'd be open to any similar town within 30-40minutes of London, in any direction.
Any imput from y'all (can't wait to add that to my vocab!) will be very much appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Lisa
G' Morning! I've gotta say that I have had little to no problem whatsoever with Madison Southern! My son is a senior there, and my daughter is a sophomore, plus I substitute teach for Madison County. My kids are pretty happy with the school, and I am REAL happy with the education they have received. There is another high school in Berea, Berea Independent(?). I get it confused because it is one BIG building that houses the little ones all the way up to high school and they call the lower ages Berea Community and the upper Berea Independent. Confused yet? So was I. Hence, my kids went to Foley and Southern. It really isn't a bad school, just I did not like the layout, or the mix of population ages.
I've been in this area my whole life, and must say you are making a great move for your kids. I could not imaging raising mine anywhere else. Here's a few links that might help
www.mcbrhomes.com (board of realty website)
http://www.berea.com/
http://www.kentuckyartisancenter.ky.gov/
http://www.berea.edu/

And, yes, Berea College is free. Everyone asks that. Plus it ranks like 4th in the nation! My middle daughter has decided to go there. Remember when looking for housing, there are areas like mine out in the county that are Madison Southern district. Make sure to get a realtor and tell them that you want in that school district. Housing right now is very affordable. If I can help with anything, just pm me! Hope this helps. ~joanna~

Old 03-04-2007, 06:55 AM

3 posts, read 11,877 times
Thanks for the advice everyone! I am going to be making a trip down there next weekend to look at houses and such. Is there any area of town to "stay away from" regarding crime or neighbors? It didn't look like there was any of that when I drove through, but I wasn't completely thorough. Also, does anyone know about class size in Madison district, as well as report card? I know what they say on their website, but in you experience, do a lot of kids graduate, go on to college, etc?

Old 03-05-2007, 04:33 AM

190 posts, read 812,822 times
This is one of the few towns that I would walk thru from end to end (and have), without fear. I know that sounds like a wish, but it's true! You'll just have to see for yourself. ~joanna~

Old 04-28-2007, 05:38 AM

2 posts, read 6,209 times
i didn't know how to help you until i read your y'all comment. i thought it was funny. let me tell you though around here, leave out the apostrophe! i thought it was my place to help you- "yall" is fine. lol. i stumbled across this site researching the london, ky flea market. people around here will drive for 2 or 3 hours just to go there (we are driving 1.5 today.) so i am not very familiar with what you needed to know. i wish you the best of luck and i have to end this with, "kentucky ain't gonna hurt ya, yall should be feeling plum happy to live there!" sorry, couldn't resist.
melanie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky