Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2007, 08:43 AM

4 posts, read 85,412 times

Advertisements

My wife and family want to move out of Cleveland, OH and we have been doing research on several states. Kentucky is no. 1 on our list and are looking at either the Louisville or Lexington areas. I am a union carpenter and my wife is a registered nurse. I would like to know how taxes would work for our situation, property taxes specifically. The Kentucky Dept. of Revenue property tax listing is a little hard to follow.

We own a 120k house and pay $2100 in property tax, each vehicle we own costs a flat rate of around $80 to register. The sales tax in our county is 7.5% and applies to just about everything.

Additionally, what does the tangible property tax refer to? I could not find any definition on the KY Dept. of Revenue Website.
Any information would be helpful. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2007, 08:17 AM

850 posts, read 3,159,019 times
http://kentucky.gov/Portal/Category/bus_taxins

Clevelander - try the site above. I just checked it out, and it should at least give you a contact to speak with.

I can tell you the tax on your vehicle depends on what the value of the vehicle is, state sales tax is 6%, and the taxes on your home will also depend on the value.

Try the site - I think it is a good starting point.

Good luck! KimmieyKY

Old 02-09-2007, 09:26 AM

4 posts, read 85,412 times
Thanks for the info. I will check out the site. I will eventually be making calls to the state on various matters and we are planning a visit the end of March/beginning of April. I just wanted to get some information from people who actually live in Kentucky.

If we move, I will be taking around a 7 dollar per hour pay cut, approximately 25%. My research has shown that the cost of living is about 5 to 10% lower depending on which part of Kentucky. I was hoping to make up some of the pay difference by paying less in taxes.

Old 02-09-2007, 10:36 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,052,779 times
Here is a link to a tax map that shows overall taxes in categories of low, medium and high taxes by state...notice that Ohio is in the medium taxes category while KY is in the low taxes category.

http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/Common/Flash/P111507.asp (broken link)

Old 02-13-2007, 08:12 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,314,005 times
Kentucky has a broad form tax formula. That means if you use it, live in it, eat it, drive it, even look at it, you get to pay a tax. There is a 6% sales tax, an income tax, property taxes on auto's, real estate, intangibles, even a tax on insurance premiums. Although the current governor has done an excellent job (realitively) he is under fire because he was indicted by a political enemy for a misdemeanor and the public hasn't been able to see the forest for the trees. Typically an owner of real estate can expect to pay 1% per year of market value. This amount can deviate by .25% either way depending on the services required/provided by a local government.

Old 02-14-2007, 05:48 AM

190 posts, read 812,353 times
Oh, Tomo, you've just figured out the joys of KY taxes! LOL! Yes, it can be real confusing. However, please realize that many of the taxes and fees we pay are deductible! For instance, vehicle registration fees are deductible; if your insurance cost come out of your check AFTER taxes, that's deductible, and there are several more. I guess if you weigh the costs of living in KY with the costs of taxes, we pretty much even out. I know it seems unfair to pay property taxes (I know-we have to pay 2 in 2 different counties!) but whenever I see highway improvements, new schools being built, hospitals being upgraded, and my tax money at work, it doesn't sting so bad.
~joanna~

Old 02-16-2007, 05:22 AM

850 posts, read 3,159,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kichenwich View Post
Oh, Tomo, you've just figured out the joys of KY taxes! LOL! Yes, it can be real confusing. However, please realize that many of the taxes and fees we pay are deductible! For instance, vehicle registration fees are deductible; if your insurance cost come out of your check AFTER taxes, that's deductible, and there are several more. I guess if you weigh the costs of living in KY with the costs of taxes, we pretty much even out. I know it seems unfair to pay property taxes (I know-we have to pay 2 in 2 different counties!) but whenever I see highway improvements, new schools being built, hospitals being upgraded, and my tax money at work, it doesn't sting so bad.
~joanna~

Are you serious about the vehicle taxes being deductable? On the Federal or State or both? I have lived here my entire life and did not know that!

Where do you out it in? In general expenses ?? So glad I read this - getting ready to file - yuck...

Old 02-16-2007, 08:36 AM

190 posts, read 812,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmieyky View Post
Are you serious about the vehicle taxes being deductable? On the Federal or State or both? I have lived here my entire life and did not know that!

Where do you out it in? In general expenses ?? So glad I read this - getting ready to file - yuck...

They are deductible on the Federal, which, as everyone knows, affects the state. It goes under general expenses, when you itemize (the only way you can use it!) Oh, and heads up everyone, there is a new $50 automatic deduction if you have home phone service with long distance! Boy, doesn't every little bit help!
~j~

Old 02-16-2007, 01:20 PM

1,562 posts, read 2,796,609 times
There is some very interesting (and very dry at times) discussion of Kentucky's tax structure at this site: http://www.kypost.com/2004/11/18/report.pdf (broken link). The report, titled "Kentucky’s Economic Competitiveness--A Call for Modernization of the State’s Fiscal Policies", addresses state and local tax burdens specifically on pages 13 and 47. I was surprised both at the variety of taxes Kentuckians are paying and the report's conclusions regarding the relative tax burden upon Kentucky's residents. It appears tomocox has hit the nail squarely on the head.

Old 02-16-2007, 01:51 PM

109 posts, read 812,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kichenwich View Post
Oh, and heads up everyone, there is a new $50 automatic deduction if you have home phone service with long distance!
~j~
Joanna: I believe that figure is $30.00....at least that's what the ad in the St. Petersburg Times said. ????

Joe

PS: Here is the IRS site that gives full info ...http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/...164032,00.html

Last edited by suncoastman; 02-16-2007 at 02:22 PM.. Reason: added content
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky