Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 08:44 AM

1 posts, read 7,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetar10 View Post
Has anybody here been to the 127 yard sale? I plan on going to the yard sale this summer, staying mostly on route 127 in Kentucky. Could anybody give some information on it such as where are some good stops and/or places to stay overnight along the route?
I have never been to the 127 sale and know very little about it, so any info would be helpful.
I love to stop in the Harrodsburg area of Mercer county and travel as far as time allows. The yards sales now have to be off the road side and have parking which is safe. I like the "yard sales" better than I watch for them to find good bargains versus antiques. You need to know what you are really interested in to have an ideal of how much time to spend looking. We recently went on vacation and traveled down 127 one of the nice resturants that has home cooking is the Bread of Life resturant that is at Liberty (5 miles out). This is a very nice place and will be very busy then but worth the time. It is run by a family who has adopted about 100 kids from everywhere and mainly ones with handicapes. They strive to help seek medical treatmnet for the handicapped but the kids may be seen helping out at the resturant. They also have a store with homemade butter, bread, candy, icecream etc. This is Amish country and will have many hand crafts in the area. Good luck and I have found it nice to pack a cooler in my van and include some snacks yard selling is serious business and usually very hot. Have fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2008, 01:20 AM

70 posts, read 206,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinRoseRanch View Post
I haven't been in a few years, but I used to loooove it. Isn't it a one day thing now?
Our first year, Greg drove a little Nissan Frontier. Man, we looked like Sanford and Son coming over the mountain near Chattanooga! It was a blast, though.
This year there will be people set up to sell from Tuesday, August 5th through Sunday, August 10th. Don't forget to check on the sales being held in places like church cafeterias or community centers. Many of the locals look for places indoors due to the hot temps which always seem to occur during the yard sale. The first part of the week they are expecting temps near 100 and storms on Friday and Saturday.

I know there are several farms in Franklin and Northern Anderson county which usually have many booths set up on their property but I know for a fact that at least four of those sites won't exist this year. The farms have been leased so they won't have anything held there.

I think it's something everybody should experience at least once in their life. I love the huge variety of items on sale. I can't wait to get my new home built. There will be several items I need for it which I know will be found somewhere during the sale! lol

Happy hunting to all who will attend this year's event!!

Old 08-02-2008, 06:34 PM

206 posts, read 1,135,092 times
I live just outside of Liberty and they are renting out spaces at the Casey County Agricultural Center. That is just a little bit south of downtown Liberty and has plenty of parking. I think the spaces will be under cover as well. I plan to attend at least in that location and maybe more. I'm looking for a Full Size headboard / footboard for my grand daughter.

Old 08-05-2008, 12:48 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,804,487 times
Here in Anderson Co., we've already had vendors setting up since July 31. A few customers whipping in and out, also; in fact, I saw a Minnesota license plate among those yesterday.

Old 08-08-2008, 12:18 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,575,909 times
Thank you for this information! A few of us in Missouri were discussing this event the other day and no one knew exactly what highway it was on. Thank you again.

Old 06-03-2009, 06:57 AM

2 posts, read 12,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetar10 View Post
Has anybody here been to the 127 yard sale? I plan on going to the yard sale this summer, staying mostly on route 127 in Kentucky. Could anybody give some information on it such as where are some good stops and/or places to stay overnight along the route?
I have never been to the 127 sale and know very little about it, so any info would be helpful.
I am from New Jersey and would like to come to the 127 yard sale. Could anyone advise me of where it would b e best for me to start my adventure?? I will be driving so I would like to make my trip worth while and get to the busyest place first and take it from there..thanks for your help

Old 06-03-2009, 04:26 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,545,902 times
Huffy, too bad you can't make to the 400 mile yard sale this weekend in Kentucky. It runs along US Hwy. 68 from Maysville to Paducah.

400 Mile Sale Across Kentucky Along Historic Hwy 68

I just drove from Hopkinsville to Cadiz and there are already some people setting up.

Old 06-29-2009, 07:18 PM

1 posts, read 7,102 times
Jamestown, Ky is a great place to start. I am from Indianapolis and had my own place to sell and would be a great place to start or end. We will be selling lots of quality antique furniture at great prices in Jamestown along with my brothers Blockparty business for the kids to have something to do while parents shop. Something new this year.

Old 07-19-2009, 07:14 PM

1 posts, read 6,921 times
My cousin and I are planning on starting our treck for th 127 sale near Lawrencburg KY to head back home to Ohio. This is our first time for this so we would like some pointers, such as where are the most sale or best sales. Should we pack food or are there plenty of places to eat. Toilets, advice on this. Take TP or hope for the best? Thanks newbies for 127

Old 08-01-2009, 04:08 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,901,228 times
Default Surviving the 127 Sale and Having Fun Along the Way

galpalrose, the 127 sale is lots of fun but it can be grueling. I've successfully traveled the stretch between Lawrenceburg and Junction City for many years, and this is what I've learned:

Taking TP and hand sanitizer along is a good idea. Hand sanitizer promptly applied prevents chigger bites, btw. Take advantage of any clean restrooms you encounter along the way, as many local merchants have closed theirs to the general public due to past problems during the sale.

Also take bottled water, canned soft drinks or juice boxes, snacks, etc. As previously mentioned, a small cooler is a good idea, and if you use ice and stick a clean washcloth in the cooler with the food, you can wash your face and feel refreshed after a long hot day of treasure hunting. There are picnic areas at Harrodsburg's Old Fort Harrod State Park and in Danville's Constitution Square State Historic Park (Ft. Harrod is historic, too, and both parks are worth a visit). Shakertown is just up the road from Harrodsburg and is very much worth visiting if you haven't already done so, and of course Frankfort has many beautiful historic homes and other attractions.

You can also pick up great local produce along the way - tomatoes, peaches, Casey County (Ky) cantelopes, cucumbers, sweet corn and more. There are several outstanding produce stands in Junction City (on the east side of the road). Just be sure to wash everything before enjoying them and you'll have quite a treat. There are churches and various civic organizations along the way who offer grilled hamburgers, barbecue, hot dogs, etc., and homebaked goodies can be found here and there as well. And of course there are restaurants ranging from fast to fine food as well. You won't go hungry.

Enclosed shoes (like sneakers or good running/walking shoes) are far better than sandals for walking through the sometimes muddy, sometimes dusty, sometimes rocky sale areas. An umbrella might come in handy - this has been a very wet summer - and it can double as a parasol if it's really hot. Cotton clothes are best, but do toss in a lightweight sweater, just in case it really cools off. Sunscreen might also be helpful.

A fanny pack is an easy and safe way to carry cash, which most vendors prefer. Avoid large bills if possible. A small backpack that you can empty out between sale sites is a good way to carry smaller finds and leave your hands free while shopping. A string bag is also useful for finds and can be easily carried in your pocket when empty (clothes with pockets are ideal, too). You may also want to include a few small plastic bags for items which need cleaning or to keep produce away from other stuff.

If you plan to spend the night along the way and don't already have reservations or hospitable relatives or friends nearby, be prepared to drive some distance away from 127 to find a motel, or sleep in your car (not recommended). Area motels and hotels fill up well in advance, especially towards the weekend, and I doubt if you can find a room adjacent to 127 at this late date. If you drive over to Lexington, about 45 minutes away via the Blue Grass Parkway near Lawrenceburg, you should be okay.

If you're traveling with a friend or relative, use cellphones to find each other - some of the sale sites are huge and you may want to pursue separate interests.

Take plastic bags and newspaper or other wrapping material (old towels are good) for your finds, pack lightly ahead of time so you'll have lots of space in your car for your newfound treasures, take a camera and lots of candid photos, talk to people, watch out for distracted drivers who whiz along and make sudden stops or turns with little warning, and have a great time!

And - don't be scornful of what appear to be plain ol' lumpy rocks for sale near Junction City, just below Danville, Ky - they're Kentucky geodes and may have beautiful clear or milky quartz crystals or better yet, chalcedony or even agate inside! They fooled a "New York Times" reporter who wrote scoffingly of the Junction City rock-sellers a couple of years ago, having failed to ask the right questions, but now you're in the know.

Have a great time, and let us know what you find!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky