Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 05:49 AM

27 posts, read 131,496 times

Advertisements

Hi Joe,
Many thanks for the info, We am not restricted to the Berea area, but I will definitely check these out.

Best Wishes
Margaret
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2007, 08:44 AM

109 posts, read 813,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kichenwich View Post
I am SO happy for u 2! There's nothing like finding that place that's "just right", and it sounds like you did just that. Of course, we would have been glad to have you here, too. You are now a Jackson-tonian!LOL

But, seriously, I am sure you'll love it there. Did you buy in the Big Hill area or Clover Bottom section? There's a creek not too far into Jackson called Indian Creek that is full of trout. You'll have to test your fly fishing skills! When you and Donna settle, and are looking for something to do, check out S-Tree tower. My hubby's family held their reunion there for many years. It's part of the DB forest, with amazing views and hikes. I'm not sure if the old fire look-out is still standing. It was the last time we went.

There's also the String-Bean festivel held there (you'll have to ask around for the day) which has some of the best bluegrass/bg gospel around. People come from all over the nation to this. I remember going once, quite a few years back. It was wild to hear those banjos and mandolins echoing around the mountains. You all are in for a treat!

All the best ~joanna~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hi Joanna....Thanx for the big 'Welcome'. Donna & I are SO excited...two old seniors acting like teenagers again ! There's no harm in that I guess.

I think it was you who originally told me about Big Hill, in one of the early posts. You said I would know why it was called that once I saw it. You were right...It is really beautiful as you drive South up the hill & marvel at the cut away mountain & see the various colors of the rock. Coming back down though, is really breathtaking as you see the distant valley & all of God's creations. Donna & I felt we were close to Heaven there. That's exactly what an ole' timer said to me when I was at Mickey D's in Berea. I told him we were moving to Jackson County, & he said, " Oh, that's God's Country."

We are past the Big Hill & Clover Bottom area, and only 6.8 miles to McKee...I saw the DQ there as we drove through there (As you had told me about earlier)

I find though, as I drive the narrow & twisting Kentucky backroads....everyone seems to be a 'racedriver'...I'm never going fast enough for the car behind me. They most often come right up to my bumper trying to intimidate me, I guess. Being an ex-test car driver for VW & Audi though, I'm not easily intimidated. Even as old as I am, I can drive with the best of most people. They usually back-off when you hold your course & they find out you can't be pushed. I'm not a slow driver, by any means, & usually follow the speed limits....and not knowing the roads yet, I AM careful.

We drove all through the DB forest on one of the roads, & just when you think you're in the middle of nowhere, up pops a bunch of houses, & just as quickly, you're back in the 'Boonies.'......We really got a lot of affirmative feedback from virtually everyone we met in our Kentucky travels. Makes us feel our decision to be a 'Jackson-tonian'....(as you called us) was correct.

I know what you mean about the Bluegrass/Gospel music. When I had my Electronic store in Ohio in the 70's & 80's, many of my customers were young Amish kids, & they asked me to carry Bluegrass music....I had really never heard of Jim & Jesse, & other BG performers....but grew to like the sound.

Enough ramblin' for now. I tend to get carried away once I'm at this keyboard. Donna keeps telling me I should write a book. The day just may come that I do that ! LOL

God Bless

Joe

Old 03-06-2007, 09:11 AM

Quote:

But, seriously, I am sure you'll love it there. Did you buy in the Big Hill area or Clover Bottom section? There's a creek not too far into Jackson called Indian Creek that is full of trout.

All the best ~joanna~
Hi Joanna....

Where is this place - Indian Creek? I'm off Rt. 421.
I haven't fished in years, but will try to once I get settled in there.

God Bless

JOE

Old 03-06-2007, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suncoastman View Post
I find though, as I drive the narrow & twisting Kentucky backroads....everyone seems to be a 'racedriver'...I'm never going fast enough for the car behind me. They most often come right up to my bumper trying to intimidate me, I guess. Being an ex-test car driver for VW & Audi though, I'm not easily intimidated. Even as old as I am, I can drive with the best of most people. They usually back-off when you hold your course & they find out you can't be pushed. I'm not a slow driver, by any means, & usually follow the speed limits....and not knowing the roads yet, I AM careful.

Joe
After looking back at what I said previously, I truly hope I didn't offend anyone. I didn't mean to if I did. With the narrow secondary roads in KY, you cannot pass as readily as here in Florida, where more roads have more lanes.

There are aggresive drivers in every State, & IMHO, the drivers here in Florida are about the worst of any State I've been in.

They drive way too fast - Don't use their turn signals, or forget to turn them off & drive for miles with them on - Go through red lights way after they have turned green - I almost got killed by a driver doing that. I've learned not to be the first one through a light that just turned green, or to wait a few moments before doing so.

There are also so many people that drive in the Dawn or Dusk hours w/o their lights on, or when it is raining. It's the law in FL that your lights be on when it's raining....but so many people fail to do it & law enforcement is nil.

Oh well....We all just have to learn to be careful on the road.

God Bless.

JOE

Old 03-07-2007, 05:44 AM

850 posts, read 3,159,618 times
Hey Joe - sounds like you are having a great visit! I will be so glad when you finally land here!

Glad the trip is going well.

Old 03-07-2007, 07:14 AM

190 posts, read 812,497 times
Hey Joe, copy and paste this into your browser

http://www2.census.gov/geo/maps/urba...uc42103_01.pdf

Happy fishin'! LOL

Old 03-07-2007, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Hey Joe, copy and paste this into your browser

http://www2.census.gov/geo/maps/urba...uc42103_01.pdf

Happy fishin'! LOL
Joanna:

What is this I'm looking at? I can't get it large enough for these old eyes to read. Have to go left & right, back & forth, & can't make heads or tails of it.

Some PDF files are like that....too much info for 1 page.

Thanx for trying though.

God Bless.

JOE

Old 03-08-2007, 04:20 AM

190 posts, read 812,497 times
G' Morning Joe! It's a census bureau map. Open it with adobe reader, and there's a little "magnifying glass" icon towards the middle of the screen. You can click on that, and then click on the map to zoom in. It isn't the best detailed, but does show how Indian Creek curves around Jackson, all the way past McKee.

http://www.eastky.net/jacksonco/tourism_bicycle.html

This link also shows some of the best fishing areas. I believe that word of mouth by locals is the best way to find them, though. ~joanna~

Old 03-08-2007, 04:05 PM

Quote:
G' Morning Joe! It's a census bureau map. Open it with adobe reader, and there's a little "magnifying glass" icon towards the middle of the screen. You can click on that, and then click on the map to zoom in. It isn't the best detailed, but does show how Indian Creek curves around Jackson, all the way past McKee.

http://www.eastky.net/jacksonco/tourism_bicycle.html

This link also shows some of the best fishing areas. I believe that word of mouth by locals is the best way to find them, though. ~joanna~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanx Joanna.....I appreciate all that you have done to help Donna & myself.

We are getting antsy, & can't wait for our closing on April 30th. PTL

God Bless

JOE

Old 03-09-2007, 06:26 AM

Smile Wow......

To all you great people that have been following the adventures of Donna & Joe making their move from Florida to Kentucky, I can say, "We sold our home yesterday."

A couple from Mass. came thru around 11AM, then after we returned home from shopping, we got another call from the realtor asking if the people could come back for a second look-through. Naturally we said yes. Before we could even get in our cars to leave, they were sitting in front of our home !

About an hour and 1/2 later they left. We returned just as they were leaving. Within 1/2 hour, our Realtor called & said there was an offer & she'd be over just as soon as she was done with a customer. Well, it turned out to be an hour before she came over with the offer.....& in that time, the people that looked at the house earlier, went slowly driving past our place 3 TIMES !!

Anyway....we counter-offered their proposal, & they accepted immediately.
The 'SOLD' sign went out, as they will be paying cash. The only possible problem is that the closing date both here in Florida & on our future home in Kentucky is the same date...April 30th. We'll have to extend that date in Kentucky by a few days, so we can get everything together with a mover & out of here.

Kimmiey, you were right about God finding the right people for our home. They fell in love with it...& we can't blame them. We love it too & it will be hard to leave, but a new adventure awaits us in Kentucky.

Donna & I wish to thank all the wonderful people we met on this forum, & for all the help we rec'd. I'll keep everyone informed about our eventual move, & would really like to meet some of you once we are settled in our home in KY.

WE love you all. May God be with you.

JOE

Last edited by suncoastman; 03-09-2007 at 06:28 AM.. Reason: correction
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky