Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2024, 02:02 PM

863 posts, read 688,308 times

Advertisements

After much house hunting and deliberation on where we wanted to settle, we just purchased a home in Mount Sterling.
So now I am trying to figure out what we have gotten ourselves into.
I could gather a lot of information from the internet, but some information is best gathered from those that have or are currently live there.

I have heard from some, how the area is an idyllic hometown where everyone is friendly, and neighborhoods are safe.

But I have also heard that the place is full f meth labs and crime is high.

So can anyone with past or current experience let me know what to expect?

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2024, 06:18 AM

4,920 posts, read 3,348,327 times
Seems like people with past or current experience have already answered your question. And it really doesn't matter now because you bought the house!

That said, most cities have good and bad areas. Or at least good and 'better'.

Old 05-10-2024, 08:02 AM

17,375 posts, read 11,349,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRoadkill View Post
After much house hunting and deliberation on where we wanted to settle, we just purchased a home in Mount Sterling.
I could gather a lot of information from the internet, but some information is best gathered from those that have or are currently live there.

I have heard from some, how the area is an idyllic hometown where everyone is friendly, and neighborhoods are safe.

Thank you
I'm rather stunned if this is even true. First you buy a house, then worry about neighborhoods and meth labs, high crime?
Every town has good and not so good. If you want to become more informed, I would look at whatever local newspaper Mt. Sterling publishes. I'd call the local police dept and ask questions as well and let them know what your concerns are. Perhaps they can shed some light on local crime.

Did you look at all the information provided by CD?
https://www.city-data.com/city/Mount...oogle_vignette

Old 05-10-2024, 02:55 PM

5,776 posts, read 11,422,560 times
TRK, just wondering, did you buy the house without visiting the town and the house "in person"? That is what most would consider a risky transaction, especially if you are not very familiar with the region and have never lived there before.

Mt Sterling is only 20 or so miles east of the Lexington area via I-64, so at least it has a pretty good location. It is also a county seat, so that helps for maintaining a base of services in the town.

When are you planning to move to your new place? Let us know how things work out.

Old 05-10-2024, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
TRK, just wondering, did you buy the house without visiting the town and the house "in person"? That is what most would consider a risky transaction, especially if you are not very familiar with the region and have never lived there before.

Mt Sterling is only 20 or so miles east of the Lexington area via I-64, so at least it has a pretty good location. It is also a county seat, so that helps for maintaining a base of services in the town.

When are you planning to move to your new place? Let us know how things work out.
Mt. Sterling is also part of the Licking Valley. There are always things to see and do in this area including many festivals.
https://www.facebook.com/LVAKentucky...gX9FhQ&fref=nf

Old 05-10-2024, 08:59 PM

14,824 posts, read 8,162,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRoadkill View Post

Thank you

Hi TexasRoadkill!
Welcome to the Kentucky thread here at City Data.

I have never lived in Mount Sterling, but I live in Lexington and it is not far from here, I have worked with other coworkers who are from there, and they were all super nice.
It is very small (population under 10,000) so I am not sure anyone from there posts on this forum.

Every town has good areas and bad areas...but I cannot imagine that there would be a lot of crime there, I mean it is a smaller town, or it would probably make the Lexington news here.
But talk to your neighbors and the local policemen, they will know.

Did you visit the area or the home before you bought it?
That would be the first thing that I would do before buying a home.
Did you buy it online?

You will be close enough to Lexington anytime you wanted a short drive/commute to buy something from
stores like Whole foods, Trader Joes, Costco, Macy's, Dillards, etc...they are building a Publix supermarket that will open supposedly by the end of the year.

Are you coming from Texas? That's going to be a long move!!!

Old 05-11-2024, 06:55 AM

I've noticed in a small town, a little bit of crime is a big deal. The town I live in is about the same size as Mt. Sterling or slightly bigger, also a county seat. Almost any crime makes the newspaper here. There's a section of the paper that lists all the court dates and crimes people are accused of. Many are vehicle related like speeding or no tags. Some are alcohol and illegal drug related and petty theft. Any violence which is pretty rare is almost always between people that know each other.

When people here complain about crime, I try not to smile or laugh. Where I came from we had real crime like people getting shot at gas stations, violent car jacking, home invasions and so on. I'm more than certain Mt. Sterling is just fine. Just don't get involved in illegal drugs which are everywhere in this country, not just in small KY towns.

Old 05-11-2024, 07:28 AM

4,622 posts, read 3,326,753 times
I don't know where you're from - Texas? - but small towns in Kentucky generally are pleasant places to live. We moved to Danville from a much more urban area and enjoyed discovering the small-town-ness of it, and the friendliness of everyone in the area. Even Lexington is famous for its friendliness, and it is true that people will come over to you and start a chat for almost no reason, or tell you their life story when all you did was get them to fix your washing machine. This displays trust on their part, which you would not have if people in general were not trustworthy.

I say go with an open mind, take normal precautions (don't leave your car out in a parking lot with a lot of stuff displayed on the car seats, etc.) which you would do anywhere in 2024, and enjoy living in a small town where the pace is slower.

Old 05-11-2024, 08:08 AM

22,622 posts, read 19,329,340 times
how can anyone buy a house without visiting the town first?
and without seeing the house first?

Old 05-12-2024, 08:09 AM

4,622 posts, read 3,326,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
how can anyone buy a house without visiting the town first?
and without seeing the house first?
There are occasions when it is not possible to do the normal research and visit before buying somewhere. Thank goodness it is now possible to do many things online that give you a good idea of the town, the ambiance, and of course the house. The realtor can do a walk through virtually, live, and you can ask to see anything you want to investigate further right then and there. You can check out the neighborhood online and virtually "walk" down the street to see everything. You can keep on "walking" and head downtown to check out the stores, traffic, and anything else, if you have the patience. It's not ideal but is pretty good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky