Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2023, 06:54 AM

7 posts, read 3,753 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone I'm looking for some advice. I currently live in Louisville. We moved up here from GA a couple years ago and just hate it here. We are looking to move to a smaller and more conservative town with less crime. We are in our late 40s and both Navy veterans. We would like to live somewhere thatbis less congested, less crime, and more quiet/peaceful. What is Bowling Green like compared to Louisville? Please don't anyone get offended but we've just had the absolute worst experience in Louisville. Everyone around us seems very stuck-up and rude. We are very laid back and unmaterialistic people. We haven't made a single friend our whole time here. My wife tried to get involved at Southeast but felt out of place and left. Our car has been broken into/vandalized multiple times and we live on the east end in a nice area. We are looking for a fresh start. Rent in our area is expensive. We would like to rent a home/townhome/apt for less than $1500. Are rent prices that high in bowling green? Are people friendlier or more welcoming? What are the major pros and cons of living in Bowling Green? I know Louisville is getting a new VA hospital but how is the one in Bowling Green?Thank you all for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2023, 09:29 AM

20,123 posts, read 16,144,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR1972 View Post
Hello everyone I'm looking for some advice. I currently live in Louisville. We moved up here from GA a couple years ago and just hate it here. We are looking to move to a smaller and more conservative town with less crime. We are in our late 40s and both Navy veterans. We would like to live somewhere thatbis less congested, less crime, and more quiet/peaceful. What is Bowling Green like compared to Louisville? Please don't anyone get offended but we've just had the absolute worst experience in Louisville. Everyone around us seems very stuck-up and rude. We are very laid back and unmaterialistic people. We haven't made a single friend our whole time here. My wife tried to get involved at Southeast but felt out of place and left. Our car has been broken into/vandalized multiple times and we live on the east end in a nice area. We are looking for a fresh start. Rent in our area is expensive. We would like to rent a home/townhome/apt for less than $1500. Are rent prices that high in bowling green? Are people friendlier or more welcoming? What are the major pros and cons of living in Bowling Green? I know Louisville is getting a new VA hospital but how is the one in Bowling Green?Thank you all for your input.
Have you thought about the Hardin County area, which includes Fort Knox, Elizabethtown, Radcliff, and some other small towns? There is a large military community so you might find it more to your liking.

Old 12-27-2023, 09:40 AM

We looked in that area, but my wife wants somewhere more quiet and away from Louisville altogether.

Old 12-27-2023, 10:42 AM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
Quote:
We looked in that area, but my wife wants somewhere more quiet and away from Louisville altogether.
The elephant in the room is that Bowling Green is growing quickly with it being close enough to Nashville that Nashville is influencing the city and not necessarily in a good way from my understanding. I don't live in Bowling Green but I know people that have lived there until recently and moved out to get away from there. There is a poster here as well that has complained about what the town has become but she hasn't chimed in.
I'm sure some people love Bowling Green for many reasons but maybe it's not the best choice for you considering your criteria.

I'm just saying if you want a place that's quieter, affordable, friendlier, there are lots of other options that might be a better choice than Bowling Green. Just for example, there are some very nice affordable towns around Lexington, but not in Fayette County. You would be within easy driving distance of Lexington for what it has to offer while enjoying a more peaceful and friendlier existence.

Last edited by marino760; 12-27-2023 at 11:05 AM..

Old 12-27-2023, 12:15 PM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times
Quote:
Bowling Green is certainly not less conjested, the traffic is really bad here, lots of people have been relocating here from all around the country....rent prices are sky high...

You probably have more to pick from in store items in Louisville, reason being, some people of BG are so antiquated, still a whole lot of people who refuse change....plus there are only 4 dinners here, and two of them are only open until 2 p.m., the rest of the restaurants are pretty high end that open after 5 p.m. but expensive and they serve good food, but you couldn't afford to eat there even once a week. We've got some really good steak houses...

Then of course you have your fast food chains, like McDonalds, Arbys, Chic Filet, and I am not at all impressed with the restaurants, most people cooking never went to culinary school, so basically all you get is prefrozen fried foods, fried chicken and fried fish. I hear the restaurants in Louisville are much better....

A dinner to me is an O'Charleys, or Cheddars
High End Restaurants are Bistro, Anna's, Montana Grill, Rafferty's, etc.
Fast food places are the chains like McDonalds.....Olive Garden, Arby's, etc.

Some people call all of these restaurants, but they are not.

I believe for the most part, people are very friendly, however, you have rude people also, especially in the Walmart....it's the same all over the country though, But you go to Kroger and Meijer and people are different. Very polite, talkative and friendly

I believe the educational system here has dropped considerably, they certainly do not teach our kids well here, not like they used to years ago....and I see it online, as their use of common everyday language is very poor....they write how they speak...."I seen" or "I ain't got none" I mean the school systms, lack. My grand daugher when she graduated has no sense of North east, south or west, didn't know how to write a check, and lots of other everyday things they should be teaching in school...

Crime is getting worse here...with more people moving in and open borders, and a system that lets people out of prisons, it's not any better then other places. My son is a police officer, and they are constantly busy, actually overly busy.....they put their lives on the line, only to have the judges leave criminals out of jail or give them light sentences. Terrible corrupt judicial system and not just here but all over the U.S.

It is basically conservative and there are very nice apartments to rent, but your going to pay through the nose and deal with a whole lot of traffic and there is only so much they can do with the roads, without building roads over top of roads...but one thing I gotta say, is they maintain their roads beautifully, not many pot holes, while up north in PA, they don't....so no matter where you live there are always trade offs.

I believe while Louiseville is congested, you have more going for you up there, as far as restaurants, educational system, crime is probably the same....there are a whole lot of smart arse young college people, who think and believe anything goes...and they can do no wrong, just ask any police officer. This is a college town, need I say more?

I lived in an apartment community that was once considered the best....well manicured, really nice people, considerate and quiet, friendly...then it was sold to a corporation, and they were letting all kinds of people move in, and these people were inconsiderate, loud and there was a lot of theft in the cars going on. There was also irresponsible dog owners there, dog poo all over the place, and I mean you couldn't walk in the grass, sidewalks or streets, Yes, it was that bad. I have friends that still live there, and it has gotten a little better, but not much and the people are loud. One poor construction man, had his van broken into and all his tools were taken, and he had it pad locked.

There is also a whole lot of pan handeling going on here....by people who do it for a living, and are not hungry and down on their luck....but actually make a living off of doing so. LOL

Several cars of friends have been stolen out of very nice communities....so the crime is the same all over and will only get worse with open borders....I have a friend who lives in Texas and they are coming thru in droves, and they are not all nice people. They break into homes and steal everything...people down there have had to arm themselves, and it is coming this way if they don't soon do something. She says she wishes people from up north would come down there and see how bad it is...thousands comeing thru each day, undereducated people who have been forced to live their lives by crime...drugs, raping, taking what they want, without a blink of an eye...and you are not hearing about it.

Best bet is, if your going to move, call the local police department (Here its BG Police Dept. or Warren County Sheriff Dept.) and inquire which apartment complexes are the best to live in, as far as very little crime....or the better areas to live in to rent homes...they will assist you with that. (that goes for any area you move into) When I first moved here, my son tolk me they had very few calls if any in the complex that I lived it, but that changed quickly in a matter of 3 years.

your not going to find an apartment for less then 1200.00 unless it's a one bedroom and houses for rent are very high....

don't get me wrong, there are good, decent law abiding people here....however, the accident rate is very high, as people here do not know how to drive and that is not an exaggeration (its bad) ....they are really bad drivers and you've got to drive defensively.

If I were you, I wouldn't target BG but perhaps surrounding areas....I used to talk to a lot of mail service people, and postal service people and they preferred not to live in town....there are wonderful less populated areas, but then you will most likely not have privy to close stores and such without a 20 minute drive...you would have to research that, depending on your needs.

Downtown Bowling Green is beautiful, and we just had a new Italian Restaurant move in which is excellent, but, you cannot park your car near there...it is a walk, from the parking garage to the restaurant...but they did an outstanding job with the Holiday lights downtown, they are gorgeous...and you've got a whole lot of great people who are friendly, kind and well educated....so, it's like anywhere else...we are the 3rd largest growing town in KY....

A lot of people from here go down to Nashville to eat and shop, but it is also very expensive, but the restaurants are terrific in TN....you also might want to look into the beautiful areas around Pigon Forge, TN, or Puducah KY? Beautiful areas. Honestly, I believe there are much better places to live then BG....but that's just me...it's gone down hill big time in the past 20 years...it used to be a very quiet lovely community.

Don't buy a home right away, rent until you get to know an area, or travel and vacation to different areas for week end get aways....

Good Luck

Last edited by cremebrulee; 12-27-2023 at 12:36 PM..

Old 12-27-2023, 12:36 PM

Thank you all for letting me know this. Prior to moving to Louisville we didn't research anything and just moved on a whim. We never experienced crime until moving to Louisville. I know no place is crime free, but we definitely want out of Louisville. We have no family up here they are all down in GA. Her grandfather used to live in Bowling Green but that was over 40 years ago and I'm sure it's changed dramatically. We plan to take a trip out there soon to explore the area. My wife just ask me to ask about Paducah?

Old 12-27-2023, 12:42 PM

Also we are looking to rent a 2br home or townhome for less than 1500 if possible until we buy a home. How are the prices for rental homes in and around Bowling Green. We don't want to live in an apartment complex ever again.

Old 12-27-2023, 02:15 PM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times
Quote:
Also we are looking to rent a 2br home or townhome for less than 1500 if possible until we buy a home. How are the prices for rental homes in and around Bowling Green. We don't want to live in an apartment complex ever again.
as I explained, homes are even more expensive to rent, up near 2 grand a month....very high....here anyway....

Your going to have to research yourself...do your homework....

Rental homes in Bowling Green Kentucky
Rental homes in Puducah Kentucky

Go online and start researching....don't take anyone's word for it...if you come to Bowling Green or anywhere for that matter, visit on a weekend, so you can see how the traffic is....in that area
Talk to people, go into Real Estate companies, sometimes they are given homes to rent....and they can show you what they have....

There is a rental agency in Bowling Green on Cave Mill Rd. called Chandler Rental something or others....but again, you can find all this information online....google crime in Bowling Green, or whatever area your moving to....but the main thing is, to visit these areas and talk to people, walk up to someone in a grocery store and ask them questions....and not a walmart....

I will say this, we are in the northern tip of Tornado Alley and we've had several tornadoes in the past few years, the one was devestating....so that would be something to look into

While your looking, study low lying areas for flooding and rain water run offs.....

If your going to rent, then knock on someone's door, introduce yourself, and explain to them your thinking about moving into the area, and ask them what they like and don't like about the area and the people.....the restaurants, shopping, and things to do.....do your homework, diligently, b/c this is a ilfe investment...and there is nothing more miserable then having bad neighbors....so same thing when you buy, go and talk to the neighbors...ask them if they know why the house is up for sale, etc.

Quote:
This was posted to you by Old Hag
Have you thought about the Hardin County area, which includes Fort Knox, Elizabethtown, Radcliff, and some other small towns? There is a large military community so you might find it more to your liking.
Research and visit....b/c what I like and you like are two different perceptions according to our needs....don't take anyone's word for it.

And yes, BG has changed dramatically....I've been coming here for 30 years...once a year.....
and its my opinon that the food and restaurants are horrible here for the most part, here....but I'm from the east....NYC, PA and NJ, which are some of the finest food restaurants in the U.S. These locals have no idea, professional people who have moved here from the east will tell you the same thing, there is much room here for improvement, and the locals who have never left this city or state, have no idea what they are missing....a lot of people go to Nashville to eat, and I've had a lot of people tell me they love vacation to get out of town and get some good food. My kids love to go home, just for the food...and my DIL gets overwhelmed when she goes to diners or restaurants back home b/c the menus are so divers....here is all fried food, I kid you not.

Old 12-27-2023, 03:28 PM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
as I explained, homes are even more expensive to rent, up near 2 grand a month....very high....here anyway....

Your going to have to research yourself...do your homework....

Rental homes in Bowling Green Kentucky
Rental homes in Puducah Kentucky

Go online and start researching....don't take anyone's word for it...if you come to Bowling Green or anywhere for that matter, visit on a weekend, so you can see how the traffic is....in that area
Talk to people, go into Real Estate companies, sometimes they are given homes to rent....and they can show you what they have....

There is a rental agency in Bowling Green on Cave Mill Rd. called Chandler Rental something or others....but again, you can find all this information online....google crime in Bowling Green, or whatever area your moving to....but the main thing is, to visit these areas and talk to people, walk up to someone in a grocery store and ask them questions....and not a walmart....

I will say this, we are in the northern tip of Tornado Alley and we've had several tornadoes in the past few years, the one was devestating....so that would be something to look into

While your looking, study low lying areas for flooding and rain water run offs.....

If your going to rent, then knock on someone's door, introduce yourself, and explain to them your thinking about moving into the area, and ask them what they like and don't like about the area and the people.....the restaurants, shopping, and things to do.....do your homework, diligently, b/c this is a ilfe investment...and there is nothing more miserable then having bad neighbors....so same thing when you buy, go and talk to the neighbors...ask them if they know why the house is up for sale, etc.

Research and visit....b/c what I like and you like are two different perceptions according to our needs....don't take anyone's word for it.

And yes, BG has changed dramatically....I've been coming here for 30 years...once a year.....
and its my opinon that the food and restaurants are horrible here for the most part, here....but I'm from the east....NYC, PA and NJ, which are some of the finest food restaurants in the U.S. These locals have no idea, professional people who have moved here from the east will tell you the same thing, there is much room here for improvement, and the locals who have never left this city or state, have no idea what they are missing....a lot of people go to Nashville to eat, and I've had a lot of people tell me they love vacation to get out of town and get some good food. My kids love to go home, just for the food...and my DIL gets overwhelmed when she goes to diners or restaurants back home b/c the menus are so divers....here is all fried food, I kid you not.
I totally agree. Before I moved I did come here to ask some very basic questions for which I am grateful, but also did a lot of research to find property values, crime rates, flooding concerns and climate, the local politics and much more. I went as far as subscribing to a couple of local newspapers online and watching some city commission meetings online in those towns I was interested in learning more about. Extreme? Maybe, but doing enough research and then visiting paid off for me.

Last edited by marino760; 12-27-2023 at 04:04 PM..

Old 12-27-2023, 04:13 PM

4,502 posts, read 4,607,884 times
Sounds like you probably should have moved to the Indiana side of Louisville. I'm hearing it's actually more Southern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky