Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2023, 05:22 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,943,092 times

Advertisements

Any number of small towns in Kentucky (if it has to be in Kentucky) would be more conservative with less crime than Louisville. Why are you focused on Bowling Green?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2023, 06:20 PM

28,890 posts, read 30,255,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I totally agree. Before I moved I did come here to ask some very basic questions for which I am grateful, but also did a lot of research to find property values, crime rates, flooding concerns and climate, the local politics and much more. I went as far as subscribing to a couple of local newspapers online and watching some city commission meetings online in those towns I was interested in learning more about. Extreme? Maybe, but doing enough research and then visiting paid off for me.
back east we had beautiful mobile home parks, similar to the villages down in Florida....clean, well kept, nice people. I bought a new 1600 square foot double wide with a fireplace, 3 bedrooms, 2 full bathes, huge huge kitchen, dinning room and living room....loved it, but couldn't keep it any longer, which is why I moved here. I had to maintain the property it was on, and it got to be way too much

It was a 55+ community....anyway, my DIL could not believe how beautiful the homes and park was, b/c here in BG, they are terrible...drug infested, run down, meth labs. She said, please don't tell anyone in BG you lived in a trailer park b/c they will think it was a slum park....there are no decent mobile home parks here...which I also cannot believe.

I don't even know if there are 55+ communities here....also, they don't have reasonable retirement homes here that go by your income....in other words, they collect your income and charge you a percent of that....here they are all extremely expensive.

The churches here do not have suppers for the public, like say pork and sauerkraut dinners, or fried oyster dinners, turkey and stuffing dinners, ham dinner, father and son breakfasts, ....and the only firehouse that does one dinner a year, open to the public is fried fish? This community and it's churches really do not do much in the way of strawberry festivals, peach festivals...I just can't seem to wrap my head around that....my son says the same thing...back home, there were tons of churches that had these dinners, open to the public charging maybe 12.00 per person....plus the firehouses, they were considered fund raisers.

But, I love the mild winters here...the short winters...here winter doesn't usually start until January....up until then, it's pretty mild, and we don't have much in snow....lots of rain, and cloudy weather, but the temps are usually much milder then up north. Love driving on roads that are decent....up home they are not....terrible pot holes....but PA is run by corrupt politicians

Old 12-27-2023, 06:28 PM

7 posts, read 3,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Any number of small towns in Kentucky (if it has to be in Kentucky) would be more conservative with less crime than Louisville. Why are you focused on Bowling Green?
Wife wanted to be closer to Nashville. A realtor told us to stay away from eastern ky because of the flood damage. We love kentucky and the outdoors. Much more scenic here than south GA.

Old 12-27-2023, 08:04 PM

13,611 posts, read 7,915,420 times
Have you looked into Bardstown? It's very charming, one of the best towns in KY in my opinion. Beautiful surrounding countryside too.

Old 12-28-2023, 05:36 AM

You can be in any number of conservative SMALL TOWNS near Nashville that won't have much crime. Again, why Bowling Green, and what are your "must haves"? Sounds like you're looking for a big city near a bigger city. The greater the population, the more likely it is to be liberal and crime-ridden, as you discovered.

Old 12-28-2023, 09:25 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,255,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Have you looked into Bardstown? It's very charming, one of the best towns in KY in my opinion. Beautiful surrounding countryside too.
Bardstown is a lovely little community, close to BG and Nashville, there are so many nice smaller communities within those areas.....and yes, stay away from Eastern KY which I believe takes you further away from Nashville. why not check out smaller communities nearer to Nashville, there are so so many, as the drive down 65 can be very stressful at times, lots of traffic and trucks going into Nashville

Old 12-28-2023, 11:44 AM

7 posts, read 3,766 times
Quote:
You can be in any number of conservative SMALL TOWNS near Nashville that won't have much crime. Again, why Bowling Green, and what are your "must haves"? Sounds like you're looking for a big city near a bigger city. The greater the population, the more likely it is to be liberal and crime-ridden, as you discovered.
Your right. I guess it was because online it seemed like there were more options for rental homes/townhomes/ apartments. We looked on Trulia and Redfin and there weren't alot of options for rentals in the smaller towns around Bowling Green but we will keep looking. "Must haves" I guess would be low crime and conservative. We would like to be involved in a church and community service. A VA medical center is definately a must have also. Like I said before we aren't ready to buy just yet. We rushed to buy a house in GA last time and it was the worst decision we ever made. I told her we need to drive down there and just take a look around.

Old 12-28-2023, 12:52 PM

367 posts, read 584,645 times
You might want to check out Murfreesboro just south of Nashville or one of the areas surrounding it. Their is a VA hospital in Murfreesboro and one in Nashville as well.

Old 12-28-2023, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTFan View Post
You might want to check out Murfreesboro just south of Nashville or one of the areas surrounding it. Their is a VA hospital in Murfreesboro and one in Nashville as well.
And no income tax! Kentucky's very left-leaning (not to say leftist) governor was just re-elected, so there's also that to consider...

Old 12-29-2023, 05:03 PM

2,898 posts, read 1,865,132 times
Quote:
And no income tax! Kentucky's very left-leaning (not to say leftist) governor was just re-elected, so there's also that to consider...

Dumb question, I'm honestly curious trying to learn.

Kentucky by all appearances seems like a very red conservative state, how in the world did a left-ish governor get elected?

What are Kentuckys politics like at the state level?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky