Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2023, 08:40 PM

966 posts, read 514,798 times

Advertisements

Lexington has almost everything I'm looking for, and my only concern is not knowing what the people will be like? I have never been to Kentucky, nor known anyone from there, which is amazing considering how much I've traveled. I spent COVID marooned in Tucson and it was awful. Not my sort of folks, so I swore I would go back to my Southern roots and moved to Little Rock, Ar.

It's been great so far, and the people are generally what I remembered from the Ms Coast. Friendly, outgoing, and while polite, are certainly not shy from speaking their minds. Politically correct? As if! But the city itself is a problem because of the huge hills and dangerous drivers that make biking almost impossible.

I can't figure out Lexington's residents though. People on the phone either have had no accent at all, or occasionally a sort of a country/Appalachian accent. They sounded friendly enough, but they did on the phone in Tucson too. Asking what the people are like in a city w/ well over 300,000 of them is crazy, but overall, what might I be encountering there? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2023, 09:05 AM

14,768 posts, read 8,093,254 times

Hi StephenMM!
Well, people from Lexington are Southerners, so yeah we are pretty much like Southerners!
But, it is an upper Southern State, so it's a little different from deep Southern states..but just a little.

Quote:
I can't figure out Lexington's residents though. People on the phone either have had no accent at all, or occasionally a sort of a country/Appalachian accent. They sounded friendly enough, but they did on the phone in Tucson too. Asking what the people are like in a city w/ well over 300,000 of them is crazy, but overall, what might I be encountering there? Thanks.
For the most part people don't have really strong accents here. (It's not that way everywhere in Kentucky though)
A lot of people in more rural parts of Kentucky move here (probably for jobs).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j48sj2pluWs&t=8s

Lexington for whatever reason (maybe it's the University or whatever) has a lot of people that moved here that aren't Lexington natives....I have had friends neighbors and co-workers here from New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania,
Texas, California, Utah, Indiana, Ohio, Minnesota, Alaska and Hawaii (and probably a few other places that I am just not recalling. Oh yeah from Great Britain, Ireland and France too.
And India, Korea and Japan too.

I was working in a store in Beaumont part of Lexington, when a co-worker and I were talking about (she had actually moved here from Texas) that she had never seen a place that had so many people come in from other states and other countries, like every day. Working with the public, you see a lot of that here.

Kentucky was voted the Kindest state in America.
There are a lot of bike trails here now too.

You should definitely come visit here first, I would always suggest that before moving.
You can watch you tube videos, see pictures and info online, and by all means use google street view to get to know the area also...but nothing is quite as good and gives you the information you will need to know if this will probably work...as just going there, and experiencing it yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Do_PtE9nvwY&t=25s

Old 09-04-2023, 05:57 PM

2,898 posts, read 1,864,185 times
Hi Stephen

Here's my take as a non resident. I've only traveled through and briefly visited. I keep tabs on this forum because I think very highly of Kentucky and it's on my short list.

It's different. And I mean that in a good way. It seems to be a cross roads of the South, Appalachia and the Midwest. It is more like the upland south than the deep south or the Carolinas. It has more in common with Cincinnati than Atlanta.

I would almost say it takes some of the best qualities of all those places and rolls them up into a unique place that I don't think is replicated elsewhere.

Just my .02 cents take it or leave it.

Old 09-05-2023, 07:41 AM

6,786 posts, read 4,224,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenMM View Post
Lexington has almost everything I'm looking for, and my only concern is not knowing what the people will be like? I have never been to Kentucky, nor known anyone from there, which is amazing considering how much I've traveled. I spent COVID marooned in Tucson and it was awful. Not my sort of folks, so I swore I would go back to my Southern roots and moved to Little Rock, Ar.

It's been great so far, and the people are generally what I remembered from the Ms Coast. Friendly, outgoing, and while polite, are certainly not shy from speaking their minds. Politically correct? As if! But the city itself is a problem because of the huge hills and dangerous drivers that make biking almost impossible.

Why not visit the place a few times to see for yourself? I get that given the huge number of possible relocation destinations in this country it seems impossible to visit all of them given the expense and time involved, but if Lexington is your top destination then it'd certainly be sensible to experience it first hand before making a decision.

Old 09-07-2023, 03:20 PM

8 posts, read 6,954 times
Kentucky is a southern state. Not sure, why this argument is getting stirred back up. The state is basically Tenneessee outside of Lexington, Louisville, and the 3 counties near Cincinnati. Due to transplants and their location right on the ohio river (Cincy counties and Louisville) they have some midwestern influence. Western and Southern Kentucky are where you find the ''deep'' southern parts. Eastern Kentucky is pretty much Eastern TN, Western NC, and SWVA rolled into one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
View detailed profiles of: