Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2023, 03:27 PM

7 posts, read 7,060 times

Advertisements

I've been reading these boards for a few years now while trying to determine an affordable, safe, and pretty place to retire to, narrow down a couple of locations and then visit during my vacation time. I will probably be moving alone within the next five years, and as a single woman safety is a big consideration, as is affordability. My children will likely remain in Arizona and California so hopefully will come to visit. A small home (even a 1 bedroom 500 sq ft home) would work for me, in a safe/pretty area with a little space for a small (or large) garden. It's important that I can make some nice friends so somewhere that's friendly open to new people would be great. I love the natural beauty of Tennessee and was considering the Cookeville or Sparta areas but hoping to see if there are similarly beautiful and friendly places that are a bit more affordable. I've been hesitant to pipe up since there are so many threads with a variety of information, but decided to throw my request out there. I thank you for any helpful input you may be able to provide. <3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2023, 05:30 PM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
The challenge here as I see it is that you have a lot to choose from. I would make a list of priorities, things along with safety and affordability that are important to you.
Here are some things that you might consider.

-distance to major airport
-size of town
-hilly or flat topography
-medical needs
-access to major shopping like a Costco
-access to restaurants, festivals, things to do

I chose a small/med town on the Ohio River between the Blue Grass and Appalachia. The river is a huge beautiful water feature that I enjoy having. I feel like I have the best of both worlds here. The population is less than 9000 people. Cincinnati and Lexington are a little over an hours drive away, but I only venture to those cities to use the airport. There's a Walmart, Kroger, Lowes, as well as a bunch of small stores and restaurants. I personally couldn't care less about Costco or Trader Joe's but you might.
People have been very welcoming and I'm very happy I chose this town. I couldn't have found a better place for me personally but that doesn't mean the next person will feel the same way.
No place is perfect but KY has a lot of beautiful small towns and small cities that are more affordable than what you'll find in TN. Think about what you want to have and need to have close by. As far as safety, most of Ky is very safe, just stay away from Louisville and parts of Lexington if you're concerned about safety. If I forget to lock the doors and close the window here when I leave the house, I don't even worry about it.

Do your research and narrow it down. If you think you're very interested in a town, subscribe to a local newspaper. Watch city counsel meetings online. Virtually walk the town with google maps and take a look before you visit. I did all of these things when picking a town and this is where I decided to buy a house and spend my retirement years. 2 years later and I've been appointed to the Architectural Review Board for the historic districts, am a member of the historical society and museum and I just applied to volunteer at the animal shelter. I've made friends that I can go out to eat, go to the movies, and enjoy local plays with at the opera house. People here and throughout Ky as a rule are very welcoming.
Good luck in your search.

https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/kent...town-kentucky/

Last edited by marino760; 08-21-2023 at 06:48 PM..

Old 08-22-2023, 07:11 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,255,037 times
Kentucky and TN are both very beautiful and from my experience, they both have very kind, hospitable and considerate people, but if I had a choice, and I don't, I'd probably pick some where in TN....
Keep in mind, the farther out you are, the less hospital and doctor pics....so as others have suggested I would stay close to an area that has just about everything....and TN has traffic in Nashville, but Nashville, has an abundance of Hospitals, doctors, entertainment, restaurants and shopping areas....

I live in Bowling Green, and while it's a plus we do not have access to all that Nashville has to offer...and the traffic here is bad.

If you move in around Pigon Forge, you will have lots of traffic as well with all the tourists, but it is a gorgeous area....but there are many smaller towns inbetween, I would continue doing your research and when you find a few areas that you like, call the local police department, explain to them that you are looking for retirement in their area and ask them if it's safe....no matter where you go, you will have problems, and before you buy anywhere I would suggest living in an apartment for a year or so, until you find an area where you'd really love to live...and not just pic something off the internet.

But as far as the arts is concerned, entertainment, and restaurants, and medical care, I would say close to Nashville...

A whole lot of people here in BG travel to Nashville for shopping, medical care, restaurants....etc...
I hear the younger generation complain about clothes shopping here in BG, they say there is nothing....
so they travel to Nashville.

Good Luck and have fun....

Last edited by cremebrulee; 08-22-2023 at 08:11 AM..

Old 08-22-2023, 07:15 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,735,867 times
We have tons of CA transplants here in Louisville! Especially Old Lou! KY much cheaper than TN....

Old 08-22-2023, 07:41 AM

14,768 posts, read 8,093,254 times
Hi! Welcome to the Kentucky forums here at City Data!

Were you wanting to live in a big city, small city, small town or a rural area?
Do you want to live in or near the Mountains, by a lake or a river, or close to a larger city?

How close do you wish to be from shopping and hospitals, Air Ports and Medical?

There are lots of nice towns and cities in Kentucky. And each has it's own personality.

Old 08-22-2023, 06:45 PM

3,037 posts, read 3,304,919 times
I live in Bowling Green, and while it's a plus we do not have access to all that Nashville has to offer...and the traffic here is bad.

From Bowling Green to state line 6 lane I-65 is complete. Maybe depends how far you drive to I-65.

TN is busy expending I-65 to 6 lanes from the state line to Nashville. An alternative could be to use TN 109 becomes 4 lane south of Portland then use TN 386 (Vietnam Vets Highway) to get back to I-65. Or stay on TN 109 to I-40. (make stop for new Whataburger). Not that far of a distance depending what you want to do. Less than 2 hrs to BNA.

Old 08-23-2023, 01:44 AM

14,768 posts, read 8,093,254 times
There is a small city (Fulton) whose in both Kentucky and Tennessee.
https://fultonsouthfultonchamber.com/
You could live in one and take a walk every day and end up in the other!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Do_PtE9nvwY

Old 08-23-2023, 08:51 AM

Wow, thank you CD folks for your responses, I really appreciate it! I did keep my post somewhat brief as to avoid putting out a confusion of too much information. I hope to be either retired or working part time so not in the rat-race so to speak. I've lived in only a few places in my life (populations between 15-80K and prefer the smaller towns so long as necessary amenities are near-ish) and am honestly not well-traveled so I appreciate all your opinions and ideas, thanks!

Old 08-23-2023, 01:04 PM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 805gardengal View Post
Wow, thank you CD folks for your responses, I really appreciate it! I did keep my post somewhat brief as to avoid putting out a confusion of too much information. I hope to be either retired or working part time so not in the rat-race so to speak. I've lived in only a few places in my life (populations between 15-80K and prefer the smaller towns so long as necessary amenities are near-ish) and am honestly not well-traveled so I appreciate all your opinions and ideas, thanks!
Glad this has been of some help. I began my search 5 years before retiring and glad I did. I didn't feel rushed, had plenty of time to do my research, visited if I wanted to. I probably went overboard, but didn't want to feel like I made a mistake when I chose where I did.

Researching actually became a fun hobby that I would work on after work some days and on weekends as time allowed. There's almost nothing you can't find out about a city or town if you're interested in doing the detective work including water and air quality, traffic, crime and types of crime, flood zones, how well the police are funded, popular restaurants, churches, public transportation and taxi services, clubs. I could go on and on. When I was done, I felt like I knew more about some towns than the people that lived there

Last edited by marino760; 08-23-2023 at 01:13 PM..

Old 08-23-2023, 02:36 PM

Good point Marino -- I can definitely be an overboard researcher myself and turn myself in circles LOL. Factoring in my lack of previous travel experience it has gotten overwhelming, so I'm really grateful for all the pointers! I know there are just some places that look great 'on paper' but which don't suit your 'gut' feeling when you arrive in person. I kept my parameters fairly brief as with my budget I'm realistic though my wishlist is of course bigger (trees, green, water/rivers/lakes... nearby the kind of place one might want to take a restorative vacation!)... however safety/affordability/nice people are on the top of my must-haves I tried to keep it concise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky