Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2023, 10:44 AM

17 posts, read 30,037 times

Advertisements

I've been looking at this area (its beautiful) for a long distance move. My job requires high speed cable internet. Is this available in this area? My search just shows AT&T wireless and sat providers.
thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2023, 12:13 PM

14,767 posts, read 8,097,050 times
That can be a problem with more rural areas.
Where they have abundant natural beauty they lack in high speed internet and cable.

I live in Lexington, but I googled and this what I found.
(Probably just the same info you found though.)

https://broadbandnow.com/Kentucky/Elkhorn-City

The best would appear to be Optimum by Altice (cable -940Mbps). It looks to be a cable/internet company.
But compared to bigger cities....In Lexington Metronet (fiber)provides 2 Gbps and Spectrum 1 Gbps.
These numbers don't mean anything to me, so I googled it...

Quote:
Gigabit Internet service transmits data up to 1 Gigabit per second (Gbps) — or 1,000 megabits per second (Mbps).

Quote:
100 Mbps is 100 megabits per second. 1 Gbps or “a gig” is 10 times faster and equal to 1,000 Mbps. To put this into perspective, the average cable internet ...
https://www.snipinternet.com/support...100mb-and-1gb/
Is this fast enough?
I have always heard that if you want high speed internet in more rural areas, look and see if there is a University or Big College nearby, because they often need and will invest in a high speed internet and that can benefit the community.

Last edited by Crazee Cat Lady; 01-08-2023 at 12:23 PM..

Old 01-08-2023, 12:39 PM

17,340 posts, read 11,266,024 times
I would call the city and ask them what internet is available or a list of current providers and go from there.

Old 01-08-2023, 12:48 PM

Thank you both for taking your time to look

Old 01-08-2023, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
That can be a problem with more rural areas.
Where they have abundant natural beauty they lack in high speed internet and cable.

I live in Lexington, but I googled and this what I found.
(Probably just the same info you found though.)

https://broadbandnow.com/Kentucky/Elkhorn-City

The best would appear to be Optimum by Altice (cable -940Mbps). It looks to be a cable/internet company.
But compared to bigger cities....In Lexington Metronet (fiber)provides 2 Gbps and Spectrum 1 Gbps.
These numbers don't mean anything to me, so I googled it...

Is this fast enough?
I have always heard that if you want high speed internet in more rural areas, look and see if there is a University or Big College nearby, because they often need and will invest in a high speed internet and that can benefit the community.
I'm going to have to ask my company, it just states that for WAH you're required a wired internet service, doesn't get into speeds. Thank you for taking the time to look, i appreciate it!

Old 01-08-2023, 12:53 PM

14,767 posts, read 8,097,050 times
You can check your current internet speed here

https://www.speedtest.net/

^I think I am mad. It says I only have 358.61 Mbps....Spectrum charges a fortune too!
It suppose to be up to 1Gbps (We live in one of the very few spots in Lexington, where Metronet is not yet available
(to be honest though, we live way out in the suburbs, almost at the border of Fayette County.)

Last edited by Crazee Cat Lady; 01-08-2023 at 01:05 PM..

Old 01-12-2023, 08:58 AM

is Optimum really the old Cablevision? When i search them on my approved ISP's they are listed as Cablevision..

Old 02-22-2023, 03:37 PM

11,085 posts, read 17,530,236 times
My son and DIL live way out in the country outside Murray. He used to joke that their internet couldn't be any slower if he brought it in by the bucketful. lol DIL was taking nursing courses online and had to go to her mother's to get fast enough service to watch her classes. They checked with AT&T and got a card to put in their modem. That gave them fast internet. She finished all her classes at home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
View detailed profiles of: