Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2022, 03:36 PM

1,042 posts, read 874,512 times

Advertisements

Where I live, I go to a Unitarian church and I have searched and cannot find one anywhere in Eastern Kentucky. I have heard that a good way to get to know people is to meet them at church and volunteer for church activities. At my church I ussualy wear a plain, dark, longish skirt and a blouse. At other churches in my area it's a bit of a fashion show. Among the black community, most women wear super nie outfits with a hat. some places it's blue jeans.

Would I be accepted in my ussual modest gear or should I step it up a little? Are hose neccesary because I hate hose but would be willing to wear if it helps [remember, my skirt is longish]

I wear a tiny bit of makeup and no fancy hairdo. Is that okay?

which denominations are most accepting and which ones have more pot-lucks and other acivities where I can get to know others.

I am Autistic, and like about a quarter of Autistic people I have auditoryprocessing disorder. I know the accent will be a little bit of a challenge for me because of that. When I meet people and can't understand them shall I explain my disorder or should I smile and nod when I don't understand? I was told that people there talk a little more slowly so maybe it won't be such an issue.

How long after meeting someone would it be alright to invite them to dinner? To lunch at a diner? To walk dogs with? To bake cookies with? To go to thrift sales with? To hang out on the porch with?

I am diabetic and can't drink sweet tea. How do I decline and not offend, or should I drink it and then go into a bahroom and inject more insulin?

We'll probably purchase a nice double-wide. Would most people look down on me or that.

Also, and so important to me, I have 2 nigerian dwarf goats[ miniatures] and so far I havn't found an area in Eastern Kentukky where I would be allowed to have them. We will not be buying acreage [not in budget] but a nice large yard. I am crying every day about having to give them up but maybe there is a portion of eastern Kentucky where they would be welcome without having lots of land? I know, technically that I am not allowed to have them here, but everyoe knows about them and don't care.

I'll probably [definitely] be back with more questions. This will almost surely be where I live until I die, so
I don't want to mess it up for me and my loved ones. I would like to address issues with my disabled adult son and will in another post.

`
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2022, 07:01 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
You are waaaay over thinking this.

You’ll easily be able to find a place that you can have your goats, lots of people live in double wides, and while there might not be Unitarian churches in the area there will be plenty of others to choose from that will be happy to take you as you are. I have never drank sweet tea, I only do unsweetened, and absolutely no one has ever said word one about it.

Where in Eastern Ky are you thinking about settling?

Old 12-11-2022, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
You are waaaay over thinking this.

You’ll easily be able to find a place that you can have your goats, lots of people live in double wides, and while there might not be Unitarian churches in the area there will be plenty of others to choose from that will be happy to take you as you are. I have never drank sweet tea, I only do unsweetened, and absolutely no one has ever said word one about it.

Where in Eastern Ky are you thinking about settling?
Floyd County, as that is where oldest son lives. Thank you so much or your response.

Old 12-11-2022, 02:29 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,545,902 times
I agree with Oldhag. You have nothing to worry about. As far as understanding the residents, they still speak English. The tea you drink in restaurants will be either sweet or unsweet. If somebody offers you a glass of tea and says it's sweet tea, all you have to do is tell them you're diabetic and can't drink sweet tea. That's all there is to it.
As far as what to wear to church, of course I'm at the other end of the state, but, other than the pastor sometimes, I can't think of the last time the people dressed up for church. Always plenty of jeans in the pews.
Just calm down and look for a place to live.

Old 12-12-2022, 08:15 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,747,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky3vicky View Post
Floyd County, as that is where oldest son lives. Thank you so much or your response.
The people there are very slow to accept outsiders...but when they do, you are treated like family. I experienced this in the 1980s doing service work there....my first experience in this very unusual but beautiful state!

It will take 3 years to adjust so give it time! People will be glad to know you especially if you find a nice church and are kind

Old 12-13-2022, 03:27 AM

17,344 posts, read 11,285,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
The people there are very slow to accept outsiders...but when they do, you are treated like family. I experienced this in the 1980s doing service work there....my first experience in this very unusual but beautiful state!

It will take 3 years to adjust so give it time! People will be glad to know you especially if you find a nice church and are kind
OP has a big advantage in that her adult son already lives there and is part of the community, so she's not starting from scratch, not knowing anyone.

Old 12-13-2022, 07:22 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,747,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
OP has a big advantage in that her adult son already lives there and is part of the community, so she's not starting from scratch, not knowing anyone.
yeah I personally think she will be fine. She will need 3 years to adjust though. I am not a fan of EKY culture yet even I cannot deny the natural beauty there is unparalleled.

Old 12-14-2022, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
My son actually only bought a house and moved there in March. His fiancee and her kids live there full-time but Casey has to travel for 2 weeks and then has 2 weeks off, which hasn't given him much of a chance to grow local relationships yet, though his neighbors have been awesome.

My husband, youngest disabled son and myself visited the end of July, first part of August. My son had no damage to his home during the flood, but electricity was out for a day and a half. TWO different neighbors stopped by to see if he wanted to borrow a generator. He already has one, but I was blown away at the kindness his neighbors showed to someone they only knew from waving and saying hi.

My son met Joyce on an online video game they both played [not sure how those work. I am old] He flew out to meet her [after many video chats] and came home engaged. He started looking at real estate here in Colorado, but I told him that you can't take a girl, even a 40 year old girl, far from her mother and family.
My son eventually agreed.

Now, here's the weird part, and I swear it's true.

Joyce's mother and family live in West Virginia, right near the Kentucky border. And they all loved Casey when they met him. They own a large area of land they refer to as "The Mountain" They have dozens of beautiful homes on their land. They showed Casey and Joyce the house-a cute house my son said- that they wanted my son and Joyce and her kids [Evie and Eli] to live in.

When Casey and Joyce politely declined, her mother-that day- kicked her out of her house. She stayed for 3 months, going between staying with her aunt, who lives on the mountain but kept a low profile during this time, and her father [who doesn't live on the mountain]

They purposely bought a home that was less than an hour from "The Mountain", but in Kentucky. She still refuses to talk to Joyce, has no interest in Joyce's kids now, and has made it clear that she will not attend their wedding in April.

Casey has been so fustrated. He has spoken to Joyce's mother several times and she has been, if not friendly, cordial. But she feels betrayed by Joyce.

So, it was nearly 6 months later that joyce's aunt told them the real reason she was so angry. It wasn't only because they didn't want to live on "The Mountain," but because Joyce's mother is the family matriarch. All of the family gives their money to Joyce's mother, who makes sure the homes are all maintained, needs are met, and there is spending money for everyone.

My son is by no means wealthy, but he does have a somewhat larger than average income. Joyce's family had the wrong idea that he made a huge ammount of money and were making plans on how they would use that money, for the benefit of all the family who lived on the land. And she feels that Joyce is stealing money from the family by not living on "The Mountain."

I know, it's crazy, one of those things that sound impossible in real life, but that is what's happened.

Joyce had wanted to leave for twenty years, but there was always a sick or elderly family member who needed to be cared for and Joyce was the family "caregiver."

Anyway, a very strange but true story. Joyce says she is fine living away from everyone [like I said, less than an hour away] and she has asked me if would fill in her mother's spot, and I said YES! YES! YES!

Old 12-15-2022, 01:45 PM

1,059 posts, read 1,882,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
yeah I personally think she will be fine. She will need 3 years to adjust though. I am not a fan of EKY culture yet even I cannot deny the natural beauty there is unparalleled.
Ah Peta...it won't take more than 2 1/2 years HaHaHa...bless your heart.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky