Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2022, 02:49 PM

1,042 posts, read 873,813 times

Advertisements

When we move to Eastern Kentucky I want to make friends. Part of the reason we picked Kentucky is because it has been rated the friendliest state. Iplan to bake hundreds of cookies and drop them off at neighbors homes as I introduce myself. I am a liberal but I know to keep that private. I'm noy sure what to talk about if I'M invited into someones home. I know there is a 6 week longer growing season in EASTERN kentucky and would love to hear about that. Like, can I actually grow a full-grown watermelon there truly have a couple months of ripe tomatoes. Hopefully people will share wih me how o get my soil right for gardenig there.

What are other ways I can start friendships as a senior citizen in Eastern KenuckY? And what are some things to stay away from, other than politics?

Thank you so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2022, 09:44 PM

14,772 posts, read 8,103,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky3vicky View Post
When we move to Eastern Kentucky I want to make friends. Part of the reason we picked Kentucky is because it has been rated the friendliest state. Iplan to bake hundreds of cookies and drop them off at neighbors homes as I introduce myself. I am a liberal but I know to keep that private. I'm noy sure what to talk about if I'M invited into someones home. I know there is a 6 week longer growing season in EASTERN kentucky and would love to hear about that. Like, can I actually grow a full-grown watermelon there truly have a couple months of ripe tomatoes. Hopefully people will share wih me how o get my soil right for gardenig there.

What are other ways I can start friendships as a senior citizen in Eastern KenuckY? And what are some things to stay away from, other than politics?

Thank you so much
The best gardening tip that I can you is one my Dad gave me, don't plant your tomatoes until after Derby Day,(because no matter how hot or warm it might seem, there might be a frost)yes you can have tomatoes for several months....nothing is as good as home grown tomatoes! I don't think we did much with the soil to be honest (but it was my Dad growing stuff then now my Husband)..

You can check and see if there is a Senior Center in your area.

You could try Church or Libraries also. Or maybe take a class or two.
It's always best to avoid Political discussions...politics can be so divisive nowadays....I couldn't tell you
My neighbors political views and I have lived here for almost 20 years. We just don't go there!

Old 12-06-2022, 02:07 AM

17,341 posts, read 11,274,075 times
I live in NE Kentucky on the Ohio River almost halfway between Cincinnati and West Virginia so I'm certain it's colder here than where you are. People grow everything to full size. I go to the local farmers market weekly in summer and purchase full grown watermelons and cantaloupe. Tomatoes of every shape and size are overwhelmingly abundant including heirlooms. There are so many tomatoes, it's not unusual for people to give them away and leave baskets of them on their doorsteps free for the taking. There are all types of squashes, lettuce, onions, eggplant, green beans, root vegetables and almost everything else locally grown as well as the very best honey from local bee keepers.

I've been here about a year and a half and have met all kinds of really nice people. People here are polite and friendly, even most teenagers. Making friends will depend on you of course and getting to know people in your neighborhood and in town. Don't be shy and say hello and smile. Get involved in things such as church, food bank, clubs, local animal shelter and whatever else is available in your area and volunteer if you are interested in helping. Give it time and don't expect to become best friends with someone in just a couple of weeks. People need time to get to know you.

As far as politics, people in general aren't going to ask you where you stand on issues. Don't wear your personal politics on your sleeve. I've never had anyone ask me if I'm a Dem or Rep and what my politics are. I've met the mayor and all but one city council members and politics is never brought up and discussed openly even with them. Most probably assume I'm a Dem because of where I came from but in reality I'm more conservative on many issues than they are. I've had various politicians knock on my door and ask for my vote and one city counsel member asked if she could place her campaign sign for reelection in front of my house. It's all good and I am polite and accommodating to everyone. I even recently met Daniel Cameron who is the current attorney general and is running for governor.

I can't think of anything you need to stay away from. Smile, be polite and patient and I think you'll see everything else will fall into place.

Last edited by marino760; 12-06-2022 at 02:16 AM..

Old 12-10-2022, 03:17 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,537,039 times
OP, I've seen the same thing in both of your threads. All you need to do is be yourself. Don't worry about everything. Sometimes trying too hard to get along with people does more harm than good. Say hi to your neighbors and introduce yourself and your family. Nothing like standing out in the yard talking to a neighbor.
As far as gardening, have you considered a raised bed garden? I fixed a couple up with landscape timbers and bought some bags of good topsoil to grow things in. Must have done good because all the squirrels and other critters in the neighborhood devoured everything! lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky