Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2022, 03:00 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,085,754 times

Advertisements

The geographic term for such places is an Oxbow Lake, and there are many of them along the course of the Mississippi River in the Southern states. There is actually a part of IOWA called Carter Lake thats totally inside the large city of Omaha, Nebraska.

For something even stranger, on Wikipedia, google the towns of Point Roberts, WA....Northwest Angle, MN,... and Estcourt Station, ME.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2022, 03:26 PM

1,059 posts, read 1,884,169 times
It is rumored that the New Madrid Earthquakes of 1811/1812 separated that little piece of Kentucky when the Mississippi river flowed "backwards" for a period of time. Reelfoot Lake(in Tennessee)was formed at the same time. Reelfoot lake is a swamp for the most part with some deeper spots, complete with Cyprus trees and all.

Old 11-29-2022, 06:24 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,564,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
It's actually almost surrounded by the Mississippi River, not the Ohio. Here's pic of what it looks like. I found some info on it from Wikipedia. It's called the Kentucky bend or New Madrid bend. There's some interesting history including TN disputing that it belongs to KY.
I know it's surrounded by the Mississippi, but I was talking about the river moving the silt like the Ohio did.

If you're a Civil War buff, you should check out Columbus Belmont State Park, a Civil War Battlefield overlooking the Mississippi River. The Confederates tried stretching a huge chain across the river to stop the Union supply boats so they could fire on them. But the chain was too heavy for anything to hold it off the bottom of the river. The huge anchor and a good section of chain was uncovered off the banks and is one of the main sights of the park.

https://parks.ky.gov/columbus/parks/...ont-state-park

https://parks.ky.gov/sites/default/f...ktbrochure.pdf

Old 11-30-2022, 09:21 AM

17,349 posts, read 11,309,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
I know it's surrounded by the Mississippi, but I was talking about the river moving the silt like the Ohio did.

If you're a Civil War buff, you should check out Columbus Belmont State Park, a Civil War Battlefield overlooking the Mississippi River. The Confederates tried stretching a huge chain across the river to stop the Union supply boats so they could fire on them. But the chain was too heavy for anything to hold it off the bottom of the river. The huge anchor and a good section of chain was uncovered off the banks and is one of the main sights of the park.

https://parks.ky.gov/columbus/parks/...ont-state-park

https://parks.ky.gov/sites/default/f...ktbrochure.pdf
Thanks for the links. There's certainly some great history in this state. I never realized KY was a county of Virginia at the time of the American Revolution or just afterwards.
The Blue Licks Battlefield state park is about 30 miles from where I live and claims to be the place where the last battle/skirmish of the American Revolution took place. Daniel Boone's son lost his life there at this battle.

Old 11-30-2022, 02:14 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,564,880 times
Did you know Alben Barkley, Harry Truman's Vice President, was born here in Graves County? He lived in Paducah.
Also, with tensions building up before the Civil War, Abraham Lincoln didn't receive a single vote in Mayfield.

Old 11-30-2022, 08:14 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,499,887 times
The KY / TN border was incorrectly surveyed giving TN tons of land at KY's expense. If you took the southernmost border of far SW KY all the way across that would be close to accurate.

The New Madrid bend enclave is because KY claims all last east of the river and in that are that includes the westermost possible part of the river north of the TN border.

Old 11-30-2022, 08:15 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,499,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Thanks for the links. There's certainly some great history in this state. I never realized KY was a county of Virginia at the time of the American Revolution or just afterwards.
The Blue Licks Battlefield state park is about 30 miles from where I live and claims to be the place where the last battle/skirmish of the American Revolution took place. Daniel Boone's son lost his life there at this battle.
The earliest Euro settlements in KY were in Central KY due to SE KY being so rugged. I had ancestors at Ruddles Mill (near Paris KY) pre statehood whose fort was attacked by a British / Shawnee army for being an illegal settlement west of the mountains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky