Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2022, 04:19 PM

1,042 posts, read 873,399 times

Advertisements

I know that the minimum wage is the federal $7.25 an hour. Since we are retired that won't effect us very much. My youngest son is disabled and not able to work, but our nephew, who will be moving with us is just a tiny bit slow. He's mostly worked fast-food. In our state minimum age is somewhere around $12 an hour but he has no difficulty finding fast-food jobs for $15 or $16 an hour.

What I wanted to know, and I realize most of Kentucky is different, is if $7.25 an hour is the standard wage for fast food in Eastern Kentucky or if it's ussually $9 or $10 an hour. I know that it's less expensive to live there, but I can't figure out how someone could get by on that ammount and why people don't presure the government for a raise.

Now, my nephew is not going to be moving out there, and BOOM! be on his own. He's probably going to be living with us for a year or 2 until he gets on his feet but even with that, it seems like he'll have it rough.

So, if most fast food, etcc, only pays $7.25 an hour, how do most people paid those wages get by? We were out there late July, early August, and every home we drove by looked well maintained and had pretty flowers, etc. and we didn't see anyone who looked like they were going hungry or without decent clothing. Every person we met seemed relaxed and happy, without the stress you can often see on the faces of the homeless and near homeless in the biggest city near us, Pueblo.

So, despite the incredibly low minimum wage, how are people in Eastern Kentucky doing so well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2022, 05:18 PM

17,339 posts, read 11,266,024 times
I don't pretend to have the answer nor pretend to be an expert on this topic. I know where I live in KY, most jobs are in demand and pay higher than minimum wage even fast food workers. That said, most people working fast food, like anywhere else in the country don't pay for housing, transportation, food, utilities with just working fast food without also having another income like a working spouse for example. I think that's relatively true, no matter where you live. Eastern KY is no different. Don't discount the fact that some people have good jobs and work from home too.

I would strongly suggest your nephew learn a trade of some type if he's not interested in college. Auto mechanic, construction, heating and air service, electrician, plumber, carpenter, painter, roofer, whatever it is. Of course that would include anything in technology as well. Those jobs seem to be in high demand everywhere and usually pay a decent wage. So much so, that many have more work than they can handle.

Fast food would be fine while he's living with you so he has some income, but he needs to learn something solid and reliable for his future.

Last edited by marino760; 08-30-2022 at 05:37 PM..

Old 08-31-2022, 12:11 AM

14,767 posts, read 8,097,050 times
Is there a Target or Walmart or Amazon warehouse in or near the town you are moving to?
It is corporate policy there that pays fifteen dollars an hour at Target and I know someone who works as a grocery clerk at Walmart and makes over twenty dollars an hour, Amazon pays it's employees at 15-18 dollars an hour to start.
You could also check and see if there is a boarding house in the town, or other people who are seeking room mates.

Are you moving near Prestonburg? Here are some of the jobs available there right now.

https://www.indeed.com/l-Prestonsbur...38c263887ff835

Old 08-31-2022, 12:21 AM

^If your Nephew drives walmart is paying it's Delivery drivers up to $20 an hour
https://www.indeed.com/jobs?q&l=Pres...76821191245424

Old 08-31-2022, 12:27 AM

And I see several Apartments that he could rent for under 600 dollars a month...several for under 500 hundred a month.

https://www.apartmenthomeliving.com/prestonsburg-ky

Old 08-31-2022, 05:44 PM

1,042 posts, read 873,399 times
This all looks awesome. Thanks so much to all of you.

Old 08-31-2022, 07:33 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,464,896 times
Around Louisville metro area I commonly see signs at fast food and stores saying pay starts around $15. In rural southern KY signs are typically saying in the $12 range. Consider very cheap housing down there that's actually really good entry pay. Post covid I doubt many services workers in USA make federal min wage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky