Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2022, 08:22 AM

2,898 posts, read 1,864,185 times

Advertisements

Hi guys I know that this is a bit of a vague question but are there any specific cultural differences within KY based on the part of the state?

Like comparing east KY, the I-75 corridor bluegrass area, the bowling green area etc...

I just drove through KY this weekend and really liked it a lot. Even decided to spend the night in Florence. Everyone I interacted with was really friendly and the scenery was nearly idyllic I could easily feel at home.

I've been looking to move to TN/NC but I really felt at home (albeit was a brief time) I felt really good while in your fine state.

It seems like Lexington and northern KY have a lot of really good things going on for it but in doing some of my own research there are many other small towns through the state that have a great vibe and feel at least according to google street view.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2022, 08:47 AM

14,762 posts, read 8,093,254 times
Glad to hear that you enjoyed your trip through our state and that you felt at home.

Yes, there are some big cultural difference in Kentucky in different parts of the state.
At least they feel different to me. The Appalachian Mountain culture is different that the Bluegrass region, which is different than Western Kentucky, etc.

National Geographic list six different regions of Kentucky.
https://kids.nationalgeographic.com/...ticle/kentucky

Last edited by Crazee Cat Lady; 08-08-2022 at 09:44 AM..

Old 08-08-2022, 03:12 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,081,848 times
In the event of anyone needing a refresher, this is a decent resolution map of the different regions in KY with county lines overlaid. Of course, some counties may cross or blend between regions.

If the image did not work, University of Kentucky has a good list of regional info from this page. Map is also included though it is a little harder to make out the details:

UK Physiographic Map, Links and Info

Old 08-08-2022, 04:09 PM

11,083 posts, read 17,527,537 times
According to that map, I've lived in the Jackson Purchase (Mayield and Murray), Western Coal Field (Union and Henderson Counties) and Pennyrile (Cadiz). But, everything I've ever known that western coal field is actually Pennyrile also. There are plenty of friendly and helpful people everywhere I've lived but I'm still partial to Mayfield and the Jackson Purchase area. If you're checking out the different areas, make sure you check out Paducah, Kentucky Lake and Kentucky Dam and the Land Between the Lakes National Recreation Area. Paducah has several festivals and concerts throughout the year. Quilters come to Paducah by the thousands twice a year (35,000 last April) for Quilt Week at the National Quilt Museum. The Carson Center holds many shows and concerts throughout the year. (Wish I could afford the ZZ Top concert there in November!!) There's plenty to do in the Kentucky Lake/Lake Barkley/Land Between the Lakes area. Plenty of hunting, fishing, biking, hiking, camping, animal watching, etc.
Like I've always said on here, there are 120 counties in the Commonwealth. I'm sure at least one of them has something for everybody.

Things To Do | City of Paducah
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti..._Kentucky.html
https://www.kentuckylake.com/
https://www.murraystate.edu/
https://goracers.com/
https://www.hendersonky.org/

Old 08-08-2022, 05:02 PM

Thanks kygman most appreciated.

What area is bowling green and bardstown in? Pennyrile? What does pennyrile mean?

I think I'm mostly interested in the I-75 corridor west. I've been mostly looking at the bluegrass area I haven't looked much at Paducah yet but I'll start to learn more.

Old 08-08-2022, 07:38 PM

11,083 posts, read 17,527,537 times
"... the geographic area of Kentucky named for the plant, and otherwise known as the Pennyroyal Plateau."
I had always heard it was because of the pennyroyal plant but the local accent came up with pennyrile many moons ago.
We're a big ole state so there's a lot to see and check out.
I'd say Bardstown (Nelson County) is on the edge of the Bluegrass. Never heard of that Knobs Arc before. Bowling Green (Warren County) is in the Pennyrile too.

Old 08-31-2022, 07:46 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
Very generally I'd tend to lump the state culturally into three regions: Appalachia, Bluegrass / cities / Louisville adjacent region of Pennyroyal, and Western / Southern KY. I spent half my childhood in eastern South Central KY and to me it's about the same culture and accent as far West KY. Very little different btw Dawson Springs and Russell Springs. Appalachia is a bit different and the Bluegrass region is very different ( least Southern in culture and accent, affluent, heavily influenced by OH and IN). Southern and Western KY are very Southern in accent and culture, much more like TN.

Old 08-31-2022, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
"... the geographic area of Kentucky named for the plant, and otherwise known as the Pennyroyal Plateau."
I had always heard it was because of the pennyroyal plant but the local accent came up with pennyrile many moons ago.
We're a big ole state so there's a lot to see and check out.
I'd say Bardstown (Nelson County) is on the edge of the Bluegrass. Never heard of that Knobs Arc before. Bowling Green (Warren County) is in the Pennyrile too.
Most of the Knobs region is too narrow to become it's own region in the west and in the east feels like an extensions of Appalachia. Probably only in the southern part are the Knobs wide enough to create a region somewhat different from flatter areas to north or south. Casey County is totally in the Knobs and the terrain gives it an Appalachian-esque feel. Economy more based on lumber with small farms where land is flat enough. The tallest hills in Casey are higher than much of Appalachia KY, several above 1,500 and Green River Knob is 1,780 feet asl).

Old 09-01-2022, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Very generally I'd tend to lump the state culturally into three regions: Appalachia, Bluegrass / cities / Louisville adjacent region of Pennyroyal, and Western / Southern KY. I spent half my childhood in eastern South Central KY and to me it's about the same culture and accent as far West KY. Very little different btw Dawson Springs and Russell Springs. Appalachia is a bit different and the Bluegrass region is very different ( least Southern in culture and accent, affluent, heavily influenced by OH and IN). Southern and Western KY are very Southern in accent and culture, much more like TN.
Thanks this is very helpful.

Would you say Eastern Appalachia KY feels like it has more in common with WV? Is that a fair comparison

Old 09-04-2022, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
Thanks this is very helpful.

Would you say Eastern Appalachia KY feels like it has more in common with WV? Is that a fair comparison
Yes, Appalachian KY is much more similar to WV and even parts of PA than the rest of rural KY. Almost all areas of E KY have or had a more coal / gas / timber based economy and retain an industrial grit feel. Towns are also much denser due to lack of flat land to build on. Like I was saying about Russell Spring (just west of Appalachia) being more like some town in far W KY probably Manchester or Harlan are more similar to somewhere in WV or W PA than Russell Springs despite not being that far away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky