Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2022, 11:43 AM

2,903 posts, read 1,876,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
The truth is, KY is filled with counties and towns which meet your criteria. I moved to Maysville in Mason county last June and couldn't be happier. Being farther north, temps are often times just a few degrees cooler than in the western and southern part of the state.
Maysville is a very quaint historic old river town with a lot going for it nestled on the border of the blue grass and Appalachia. I think it's the best of both worlds. Mason county is chock full of old farms and farmland on beautiful gently rolling hills dotted with forests and streams. People here are friendly, courteous and have been very kind to me being a new comer from another state. It's what America used to be like decades ago yet with modern conveniences including high speed internet, and a good 100 room hospital. If and when you need a larger or large city for whatever reason including an airport, both Lexington and Cincinnati are a little over an hour's drive.
The population of Maysville is about 8,800 with the population of Mason County at about 17,000. Here are a couple of pics I've taken recently at the "Maysville Uncorked" festival a couple of weeks ago. Once outside of town, it's quite rural with farms and acreage.

Good luck to you finding your own spot in the wonderful state.

This pic was taken by me about 3 years ago. I now live down down the street from here.

Love it. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2022, 05:30 PM

20,129 posts, read 16,186,419 times
Quote:
The truth is, KY is filled with counties and towns which meet your criteria. I moved to Maysville in Mason county last June and couldn't be happier. Being farther north, temps are often times just a few degrees cooler than in the western and southern part of the state.
Maysville is a very quaint historic old river town with a lot going for it nestled on the border of the blue grass and Appalachia. I think it's the best of both worlds. Mason county is chock full of old farms and farmland on beautiful gently rolling hills dotted with forests and streams. People here are friendly, courteous and have been very kind to me being a new comer from another state. It's what America used to be like decades ago yet with modern conveniences including high speed internet, and a good 100 room hospital. If and when you need a larger or large city for whatever reason including an airport, both Lexington and Cincinnati are a little over an hour's drive.
The population of Maysville is about 8,800 with the population of Mason County at about 17,000. Here are a couple of pics I've taken recently at the "Maysville Uncorked" festival a couple of weeks ago. Once outside of town, it's quite rural with farms and acreage.

Good luck to you finding your own spot in the wonderful state.

This pic was taken by me about 3 years ago. I now live down down the street from here.
I am so glad you are enjoying your new hometown. Your pictures are quite inviting and paint a lovely portrait of the town.

Old 06-29-2022, 07:16 PM

I may be somewhat ignorant but I don't understand why Kentucky doesn't get more praise and love. It's beautiful, the people seem great, mild climate, lots of nice little towns and country, it has a little of anything you could want.

Certain job markets are the only real concerns I have. I am trying to get a virtual job so that would take care of that. If not oh well.

What are the drugs and crime like? Are there any areas to avoid or any tell tale signs to be observant for? I understand meth can be a major problem in some rural areas.

Old 06-30-2022, 06:16 AM

32,960 posts, read 36,425,299 times
Marino, is everything pretty much back to normal after the December tornado?

Old 06-30-2022, 06:41 AM

17,351 posts, read 11,312,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Marino, is everything pretty much back to normal after the December tornado?
I'm in Maysville in NE part of the state. Mayfield which had major tornado damage is in the far west. The towns are over 300 miles apart. Kygman I'm certain can give you an update but I doubt things there are back to normal.

Old 06-30-2022, 05:11 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,564,880 times
Quote:
I'm in Maysville in NE part of the state. Mayfield which had major tornado damage is in the far west. The towns are over 300 miles apart. Kygman I'm certain can give you an update but I doubt things there are back to normal.
There's a lot of work going on, but it will be a long long time before things are back to normal. There are several groups, including Mennonites, who are coming in and building homes for families with little or no insurance. Had another school group come to town last week just to help people clean up their yards.

Old 06-30-2022, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
There's a lot of work going on, but it will be a long long time before things are back to normal. There are several groups, including Mennonites, who are coming in and building homes for families with little or no insurance. Had another school group come to town last week just to help people clean up their yards.

That's really inspiring to read.

As an outsider looking in, these are the type of people I want to be around.

Old 06-30-2022, 07:42 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,564,880 times
Just a little funny story in this thread for a minute. With Marino living in Maysville I had to tell this one. Back in the mid-1960s everybody at the Mayfield High School Junior/Senior Prom were on the dance floor, but no band. The school got a phone call about an hour later from the band...in Maysville! Needless to say the local radio station brought a lot of records over for the night.

Old 07-02-2022, 02:27 PM

33 posts, read 20,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
I may be somewhat ignorant but I don't understand why Kentucky doesn't get more praise and love. It's beautiful, the people seem great, mild climate, lots of nice little towns and country, it has a little of anything you could want.

Certain job markets are the only real concerns I have. I am trying to get a virtual job so that would take care of that. If not oh well.

What are the drugs and crime like? Are there any areas to avoid or any tell tale signs to be observant for? I understand meth can be a major problem in some rural areas.
Kentucky has a State Income Tax, most people and businesses are moving too states WITHOUT a state income tax. It’s ridiculous paying taxes on your car yearly etc. Kentucky/Indiana etc. have very high utility prices, mainly due too them being very rural and regulated states. I now live in an unregulated state and my utility prices are literally half. As for crime there is crime everywhere. But Kentucky has a very high crime rate in both the rural and bigger areas. Highest female incarceration rate in the nation, highest animal abuse rate in the nation, highest domestic abuse rate in the nation, meth/fentanyl abuse in top five in the nation. The job market in Kentucky is average too below average at best. Very little work outside of Louisville or Lexington. The rural areas and so called bigger towns offer nothing but $15-$18 factory jobs that are constantly laying off/closing/hiring. Pay in Kentucky is not very high, and good luck with finding much in the way of benefits worth mentioning. One International Airport in the entire State, it’s very expensive to fly out of and the service isn’t very good. Basically have to drive to Nashville or St.Louis for good Air Service. The Ohio River is the most polluted river in the nation, and very muddy. It has some cool history but it’s just dirty. Just telling it like it is. Met some really nice people there, and there are some really pretty areas. But a lot of really rundown and dying areas as well. Much better off in places like Tennessee/Texas/Arizona etc. They are booming and have tons of well paying jobs available. They have much lower taxes and no State Income Tax. Even the rural areas are doing very well in those places. And much closer to beaches, larger mountains, better airports, much more amenities and mid/larger cities if needed. Along with a much more and larger diversified economies. Not knocking anyplace, just speaking from experience.

Old 07-02-2022, 05:59 PM

17,351 posts, read 11,312,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DillyDilly97 View Post
Kentucky has a State Income Tax, most people and businesses are moving too states WITHOUT a state income tax. It’s ridiculous paying taxes on your car yearly etc. Kentucky/Indiana etc. have very high utility prices, mainly due too them being very rural and regulated states. I now live in an unregulated state and my utility prices are literally half. As for crime there is crime everywhere. But Kentucky has a very high crime rate in both the rural and bigger areas. Highest female incarceration rate in the nation, highest animal abuse rate in the nation, highest domestic abuse rate in the nation, meth/fentanyl abuse in top five in the nation. The job market in Kentucky is average too below average at best. Very little work outside of Louisville or Lexington. The rural areas and so called bigger towns offer nothing but $15-$18 factory jobs that are constantly laying off/closing/hiring. Pay in Kentucky is not very high, and good luck with finding much in the way of benefits worth mentioning. One International Airport in the entire State, it’s very expensive to fly out of and the service isn’t very good. Basically have to drive to Nashville or St.Louis for good Air Service. The Ohio River is the most polluted river in the nation, and very muddy. It has some cool history but it’s just dirty. Just telling it like it is. Met some really nice people there, and there are some really pretty areas. But a lot of really rundown and dying areas as well. Much better off in places like Tennessee/Texas/Arizona etc. They are booming and have tons of well paying jobs available. They have much lower taxes and no State Income Tax. Even the rural areas are doing very well in those places. And much closer to beaches, larger mountains, better airports, much more amenities and mid/larger cities if needed. Along with a much more and larger diversified economies. Not knocking anyplace, just speaking from experience.
There are irons in the fire by the state legislature in KY to get rid of the state income tax opening up KY to more people moving here although KY is a tax friendly state already and most utilities are among the least expensive in the nation including automobile gas prices. Average gas prices in KY are always below the national average.

Just a few decades ago, TN had a reputation much like KY. What many people knew about TN came from watching the Beverly Hillbillies on TV which just reinforced bad stereotypes.
TN turned the corner when they eliminated the state income tax making it desirable in the minds of many retirees and higher income people. With more people came better infrastructure, businesses, jobs and so on. TN left KY in the dust.
I also say to be careful what you wish for though. With all of that comes higher crime, much more congestion and traffic, less open space and farmland, and out of control home prices, so pick your poison.

Last edited by marino760; 07-02-2022 at 06:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky