Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2022, 05:38 PM

289 posts, read 311,416 times

Advertisements

Bullet points:

1) General car/motorcycle noise around town?
2) Neighborhoods that are generally insulated from traffic noise
3) Grew up on the Puget Sound of WA but also have lived many years in Idaho and Montana
3) Bonus: Areas in and around Bowling Green that offer interesting landscape

We're curious about the areas in and around town that are relatively insulated mainly from traffic noise. The obvious would be getting away from arterial roads. However, we're more curious about how the noise generally travels in certain parts of town. Sometimes you can be in what seems like right in the middle of it all yet not actually hear much, especially before and after peak hours. But in another scenario you might be situated just right where the sounds more easily travel through mostly calm space. For instance, not being subjected to cars and motorcycles with racing engines and loud exhaust. That can carry a long ways and it can be quite frequent at our current house in an otherwise quiet neighborhood. Believe it or not somehow sport/super bikes became somewhat of a thing in a certain "big" city of Montana. Only getting worse now that lane splitting is legal.

I understand the car culture is kind of a big deal in BG and I'm not looking to change that. I would just want to make sure I plan appropriately. It doesn't bother my wife but for whatever reason those noises became the biggest nuisance for me. Even if our doors and windows are shut I can still hear them clearly more than a mile away. It gets old when it's already 11 pm on a Tuesday!

So how would you grade Bowling Green in regards to car/motorcycle noise in residential areas? What parts of town would you recommend to mitigate this concern? And if possible we'd love an area with interesting landscape, i.e. not a typical city grid. Trees would be wonderful! I grew up on the western Puget Sound of WA so we were completely surrounded by pines and firs wherever not developed.

Last edited by diceyhot; 06-12-2022 at 06:07 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2022, 09:16 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,468,595 times
Times I've been around BG they don't seem to have any sound barrier walls... so you'd need to avoid areas next to I-65 and I-165.
Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
View detailed profiles of: