Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2022, 05:11 PM

14,776 posts, read 8,112,224 times

Advertisements

Like I said, I don't think there is one right answer. Some people are happiest in larger cities and some people are the happiest in smaller or medium sized cities. What would be the best or right choice for one person, might be totally different from another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2022, 05:21 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,976,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
Like I said, I don't think there is one right answer. Some people are happiest in larger cities and some people are the happiest in smaller or medium sized cities. What would be the best or right choice for one person, might be totally different from another.
Well, there are an awful lot of city comparisons on City-Data, so some of us obviously find these threads helpful.

Old 05-13-2022, 07:26 PM

14,776 posts, read 8,112,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Well, there are an awful lot of city comparisons on City-Data, so some of us obviously find these threads helpful.

That is true. I am sure this thread would be very helpful for someone wanting to move to Kentucky and trying to decide between the two. First hand knowledge by people who have visited or lived in both could be quite helpful.

Old 06-20-2022, 10:13 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,747,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
That is true. I am sure this thread would be very helpful for someone wanting to move to Kentucky and trying to decide between the two. First hand knowledge by people who have visited or lived in both could be quite helpful.
I'm sorry, as I have said time and again..there's literally zero comparison in Louisville and Lex. Louisville is a major, top 50 city. Lex is a quaint, college and horse town. apples and oranges quite literally. People don't realize Louisville has SUBURBS in Indiana alone nearly as big as the entire Lex metro area! That's how much of a difference it is. If you truly understand the expanse, areas, and districts of Louisville, you'd understand the comparison is just not fair.

As I have said time and again, you just don't see Louisville compare itself to MSAs three times bigger like Denver. Yes, there's a few things in common, but not much. Lex is a really cute college town though. In many ways, if you like a smaller and much less diverse town, some would like it better.

Old 06-23-2022, 08:42 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,976,511 times
TBH, Lexington is kind of growing on me... I have always loved Louisville, but there IS the crime. And, outside two or three neighborhoods, it's not really that attractive. And it's kind of big and unwieldy and also VERY far away from what the central part of the state has to offer. Actually, Lexington seems fairly "diverse" at least in terms of the population; you run into people from every part of the world there, thanks to the universities. I know I need to move to a condo in a larger city, but which one? I'm really torn...

Old 06-24-2022, 05:28 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
I'm sorry, as I have said time and again..there's literally zero comparison in Louisville and Lex. Louisville is a major, top 50 city. Lex is a quaint, college and horse town. apples and oranges quite literally. People don't realize Louisville has SUBURBS in Indiana alone nearly as big as the entire Lex metro area! That's how much of a difference it is. If you truly understand the expanse, areas, and districts of Louisville, you'd understand the comparison is just not fair.

As I have said time and again, you just don't see Louisville compare itself to MSAs three times bigger like Denver. Yes, there's a few things in common, but not much. Lex is a really cute college town though. In many ways, if you like a smaller and much less diverse town, some would like it better.
Not everyone wants to live in a big metro area or places with urban vibes. Quite a few people, as a matter of fact, are specifically seeking to avoid places considered area mega cities. For many, many people visiting large cities for shopping or special entertainment is a wonderful adventure but only because they are returning to their more low key large city (Lexington) or average size city (my nearby E’town) or smaller town (Columbia) or mostly isolated rural community (Big Clifty) where they feel life operates at a pace they feel comfortable with.

Both Lexington and Louisville are hosts to city areas, suburbs, multiple bedroom communities, and satellite commuter cities. Both are very large cities for this state and both have amenities not available in most of the state’s other cities. They are compared, particularly by people thinking of moving to the state, because those are the two places in this state MOST people categorize as comparable when wanting access to certain amenities.

Old 06-24-2022, 10:39 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,747,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
TBH, Lexington is kind of growing on me... I have always loved Louisville, but there IS the crime. And, outside two or three neighborhoods, it's not really that attractive. And it's kind of big and unwieldy and also VERY far away from what the central part of the state has to offer. Actually, Lexington seems fairly "diverse" at least in terms of the population; you run into people from every part of the world there, thanks to the universities. I know I need to move to a condo in a larger city, but which one? I'm really torn...
What crime? Seriously. Please don't let the news fool you! Overall, Louisville is a MAJOR city. It's gonna have crime and it's now about average. Louisville news may as well be Bowling Green...they report like a small town. You think Tampa reports EVERY shooting. Heck no! It's just accepted that in a major city like Tampa, most days there will be a shooting or two.

two or three good neighborhoods? That sure seems like hyperbole. There's three good neighborhoods JUST in IN suburbs. I could name more good neighborhoods inside the Watterson than there is in the entire state....Nulu, Irish Hill, Butchertown, Clifton, Crescent Hill, Highlands, Germantown, Audubon Park, ST Matthews, Indian Hills, the list goes on and on. Honestly this forum considers Old Lou and Shelby Park "dangerous" yet those neighborhoods routinely sell 500k plus homes....it's all sterotypes, again based on race and a very shotty news. Shelby Park alone has so many trendy restuarants that it alone would be among the most trendy in the whole state....how many KY neighborhoods have places like Breeze Wine Bar, Trouble Bar, Toasty's, Logan Street Market, the list could go on for DAYS! And this is an area considered "bad and dangerous" by this board lol...are people really so naive as to pay 300k for a 1000 sq foot home in a "crime ridden area?" Seriously. Shelby Park is considered dangerous in Louisville yet Lexington has a similar very smaller version of that area with a few breweries in a warehouse and it's considered so amazing? I don;t get it....

I'd encourage you to move....you will find the grass is NOT always greener. Louisville is a really attractive small major city. It offers most everything that does a major top 20 city with half the price and hassle.
Lexington is not diverse at all. It's just not. Louisville has one of the fastest growing immigrant populations in the USA.

https://www.wdrb.com/news/louisville...a12ed9e79.html

I blame the negative news media for your perception...if you are clicking the articles on social media, they will keep feeding you the same negative stuff.
There's nothing wrong with Lex. Please don't take offense to it. Look, I get Fischer is horrible. Louisville has had a rough two years (we are no longer top ten safest top 50 city as we were in 2010), but let's please see big picture.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 06-25-2022 at 05:00 AM.. Reason: See DM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky