Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2021, 07:12 AM

6 posts, read 9,667 times

Advertisements

We're relocating to the Cincinnati area, and we really like what we've learned about Union KY so far - the schools seem decent, low crime, affordable, etc. However, I'm a little concerned with the close proximity to the air port. Can anyone provide any information regarding the air pollution and air traffic noise that comes with living in Union?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2021, 07:30 PM

20,124 posts, read 16,144,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swoodn View Post
We're relocating to the Cincinnati area, and we really like what we've learned about Union KY so far - the schools seem decent, low crime, affordable, etc. However, I'm a little concerned with the close proximity to the air port. Can anyone provide any information regarding the air pollution and air traffic noise that comes with living in Union?
My niece lived near there. Air pollution wasn’t a problem at all and I don’t remember her complaining about the noise.

You might have better luck asking in the Cincinnati forum since it’s considered a Cincinnati bedroom community.

Old 09-29-2021, 08:15 PM

10 posts, read 15,233 times
For noise, it is relatively subjective.
However, you can see for yourself at https://www.cvgairport.com/flight/noise-abatement .
An distinct advantage of living at close proximity of CVG is that almost the power never fail, maybe due to the geographical infrastructure shared with CVG. Needs verification.

Old 09-30-2021, 06:48 AM

2,107 posts, read 5,081,848 times
As mentioned in the link, the current work on Runway 9/27 (east-west runway), is resulting in increased noise pollution in the Union and Florence suburbs, especially overnight. This work is expected to wrap up by the end of the year. This will then result in the return to the night-time operations running on the east-west runway. So keep that in mind when house hunting.

Otherwise, I would agree with staarklo. The noise level you experience is entirely subjective to your tolerance. I live under the westerly winds traffic flow with the final turn about 3000 feet above my condo in Wilder. There is noise, but it does not bother me particularly. I expect I will have to adjust again though when they reopen that runway.

Also, with Amazon now operating their own cargo hub complex onsite, with likely expansion of the existing building and additional buildings to come later, there will be an increasing frequency of large cargo freighter flights in and out of CVG over the next few years. DHL already operates its North American Hub at CVG, so there is already heavy aircraft traffic. Just expect the frequency of departures and arrivals to pick up.

Old 09-30-2021, 06:52 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Air quality isn't good anywhere in the Ohio Valley, but has seen substantial improvements over the past 10-15 years. Union is directly downwind from the massive Ghent coal power plant complex to the southwest on the Ohio River. Ghent could be retired in the next 10 years or less hopefully, so better air quality for the Cincinnati metro area.

Old 07-23-2022, 03:35 PM

19 posts, read 29,234 times
I am in Union... airport noise is not a problem. It is one of the fastest growing areas in Kentucky. We love here... close to an airport and the city, but still has the charm of a small town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
View detailed profiles of: