Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

KY: lower-income residents, blue collar workers, progressive change, thorough research online

Old 05-12-2008, 10:46 PM

13 posts, read 38,959 times

Advertisements

Frustrating to see a forum 'FOR DISCUSSION/SHARING' with hundeds of lurkers who take the time to read but say nothing which raises my curiosity. Is KY that boring there's nothing better to do than lurk? Or, can't understand questions which is why many recur to these forums, for locals to kindly verbalize their opinion we hope to get - being reason for having the forums. Someone mentioned this is the basic mentality; non communication vs non comprehension - now THAT's scary! I size up city folk with their pithy comments, generous comment, unuseable comment - BUT THEY TOOK THE TIME TO COMMENT IF THEY TOOK THE TIME TO CLICK AND READ IT! ANYONE HOME????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2008, 12:49 AM

216 posts, read 1,187,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanna serf View Post
Frustrating to see a forum 'FOR DISCUSSION/SHARING' with hundeds of lurkers who take the time to read but say nothing which raises my curiosity. Is KY that boring there's nothing better to do than lurk? Or, can't understand questions which is why many recur to these forums, for locals to kindly verbalize their opinion we hope to get - being reason for having the forums. Someone mentioned this is the basic mentality; non communication vs non comprehension - now THAT's scary! I size up city folk with their pithy comments, generous comment, unuseable comment - BUT THEY TOOK THE TIME TO COMMENT IF THEY TOOK THE TIME TO CLICK AND READ IT! ANYONE HOME????

I look a lot at forums from many states, including the one I currently live in and the one I am moving to (KY.) I respond to the posts that speak to something that is interesting to me. But more often, I just read without responding. Ask something that interests the people you are writing to. If they don't respond, maybe it's just not that interesting to them. It's not personal...you're just asking the wrong question.

Also...I find that more people respond in the KY forum than other states.

Old 05-13-2008, 05:26 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,122,133 times
I imagine alot of the lurkers are also ones looking for information. I will admit, this tends to be a slow board but I think that is because so many people on here are busy with other things.

Old 05-16-2008, 01:00 PM

42 posts, read 136,478 times
Just moved here from California. If you are looking for a home or rental. Look for the East or North side of town. The west i understand is mostly lower-income residents, the south is blue collar workers, and a small mix of lower income workers. There is a zoo, over 16 libraries, 29 plus parks, restaurants, 4th street live, lakes, golf, etc. The Kentucky Derby that goes from April-June Louisville Kentucky - Home of the Kentucky Derby - Visitors Bureau Here you will find everything that is going on in Kentucky. Here is the Louisville, Kentucky website Check out this website: LouisvilleKy.gov - www.louisvilleky.gov - Louisville Metro Government Official Website - Louisville, Kentucky (USA) The mayor is Jerry Abramson, and the Governor is Steve Beshear. The above information is for Louisville, Kentucky.

We are about a two hour drive to Cincinnatti, Ohio, approximately three and a half hour drive to Illinois, maybe three hours to Tennessee, and about three hours Missouri, and two hours to Jefferson, Indiana. Here is another link to check out: THINGS TO DO IN KENTUCKY People here are very friendly, just a little standofish, not use to progressive change or new people. There is alot of diversity, Irish, Italian, German, French, British, India, African American, too many to name. Downtown is going to be rehabilated as soon as the economy stabilizes. We started but it has been put on hold. Welcome to Kentucky Churches Kentucky Malls - shopping malls stores storefronts online Kentucky Real Estate at RE/MAX of Kentucky- Outstanding Agents, Outstanding Results Kentucky's Schools & Districts

Here is the website for Bowling Green, KY Bowling Green, KY - Official Municipal Web site Frankport, KY Frankfort Tourist Commission > Home ( DNN 4.3.4 ) Lexington, KY Lexington, Kentucky Convention and Visitors Bureau Winchester, Kentucky, full of community pride and spirit! Winchester
I moved to Louisville, Kentucky. I will be renting while i locate a home to purchase, in about a year and a half. Homes start anywhere from 50,000 to 1,000,000,000.00. Do a thorough research online, then come and visit. If you need more information, send me a message. I will do my best to locate the information. Here is some Kentucky history: Kentucky.gov: - Facts & History (http://www.kentucky.gov/Portal/Category/FACTS - broken link) Colleges in Kentucky: Colleges and Universities in Kentucky Speaking for the Kentuckiana resident's " We Welcome You"

Last edited by Brenda88; 05-16-2008 at 01:17 PM..

Old 05-17-2008, 07:49 AM

37,819 posts, read 41,130,318 times
Quote:
Some observations:

1. Some people put terrible titles on their posts. They are either too general or have absolutely nothing to do with what they are asking. You don't know it until you view the post and find it has absolutely nothing to do with what you know or what you want to know. Examples of bad thread titles:

Relocating from X to Y
So what? A better title would be something like "Question About Home Heating Costs in ABC Town" or "Looking For a Small Town Near a Lake" or "Is there a Little League Program In XYZville?" Better titles would mean more people with something to contribute might respond or people with a similar question/concern would open the thread for information. People just cruising the board would skip it if they had nothing to share or it wasn't applicable to them. Instead, everyone will open the "Relocating from X to Y" thread because they have no idea what the poster is going to ask or say (more post views, less post responses).

"Anybody in (name a state) from XYZ State?"
No, not a single person in our state of 8 million is from XYZ State. We just don't issue passports to them.

"Are there friendly people in XYZ City"
No, none. The city government gave snarly tests to all 235,000 people who live here and they all passed with flying colors.

"Is there Too Much Snow in HotSpotsville?"
Former person from Maine responding: No, we hardly get any snow at all in HotSpotsville.
Former person from Florida responding: There's waaaay too much snow in Hotspotsville.
Better thread title: Do you get more than X inches of Snow a year in HotsSpotsville?

2. If I was in the business of selling or marketing anything, I'd read these City Data Message Boards religiously to find out what people are looking for who might want to move here or what people who are already here are saying (positive and negative) about my town/area. These people would not necessarily be people who post.

3. People are still afraid of Message Bords or the Internet, in general. They read but are afraid to post (they might break something, they might do something wrong and mess something up, they don't know how). So many people don't know how to use a search engine to get info that I don't think it's a stretch to have some people who don't know how to post.

4. They aren't allowed to post to Message Boards from a work computer but they can read posts on Message Boards at work. (This was my situation before I retired.)

5. In the forums like Politics and Entertainment/TV shows, for example, politicians and their staffs and TV producers and their staff want to know which way the wind is blowing about issues and their campaign (politicians) or about their show (producers, network, advertisers). These would not be people looking to interact.

Old 05-18-2008, 10:39 AM

431 posts, read 1,643,728 times
alot of times I will read the posts and not say anything because what i would have said had already been said so why repeat it and waste time. I also like to read what other states have to say out of curiosity (sp.)

Old 05-18-2008, 10:56 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,564,064 times
I admit it I am a State forum lurkerI read 2 other state forums mainly because of the beautiful pictures they post and for the informatiom there. I am interested in visiting those two states sometime...If I want to ask a question, I will first do a search of that forum to see if it has been answered if not, then I will post..I also try to be very mindful of what I post, especially in the Religion forums, because there are many "readers only" and non members there who are searching..I get e-mails from some of them..I do believe that the longtime posters in this Ky forum are very helpful when asked a question and do a good job promoting us..

Old 05-19-2008, 10:22 AM

18 posts, read 55,468 times
Quote:
Pretty offensive if you ask me.

Old 05-19-2008, 08:32 PM

285 posts, read 903,775 times
I love having this forum. I have a little time before I move there so I'm enjoy all the questions. Many answer questions I haven't asked yet. To all KY folks who answer our questions I THANK YOU ALL VERY MUCH
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky