Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2021, 03:48 PM

181 posts, read 159,495 times

Advertisements

Hello Kentuckians! Our family of four (kids 2 & 4) are moving for a few months to the area. We bounce around every few months due to my line of work, which until now has been between Texas and Louisiana; so this is our first foray into Kentucky.

I'd like to see if anyone here can help out with some tips on where to rent a house, and resources that are available.

- Location - I'll be working near Bremen. A coworker recommends staying in Owensboro; and that quite a few people working in the area do that. However, that would be 45 min each way in good driving conditions, 6 days a week. Ideally I'd like to be within 20 minutes. I've looked at Livermore, Central City, and Madisonville. My wife and kids are happy if there's a good sized grocery store, playground, and library within about 20min.

- Rentals - The triangle area I've been searching in using google searches isn't pulling much; especially since I'm trying to find a newer or at least a well maintained home with a garage. Any local tips/resources? I'm starting to consider trying to find a home for sale and offering to rent it from the owner.

- Any areas to avoid? - My wife and kids will be spending a lot of time on their own while I'm at work. Are there any areas that should be avoided?

- Less important, but are there any slightly mountainous areas in that region? Seems like more hills than anything from what I can tell. But coming from the flatlands of Texas and LA, it would be great to be in or near an area with some elevation changes.

We're pretty excited to spend some time there, and looking forward to some trips to Boling Green too.

I appreciate ya'lls time and advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2021, 05:20 PM

20,123 posts, read 16,144,906 times
All of these places are part of the mostly former Western Coal Fields. Madisonville, the county seat of Hopkins County, will by far have the most amenities - it even has a community college. Central City, part of Muhlenberg County, is smaller but is that county’s largest city. Also in Muhlenberg County is Greensville, which is not that much smaller and probably will have more available cheap housing because it used to have the larger population. Livermore is tiny. McClean County itself is teeny, tiny and the entire county doesn’t even have 10,000 people.

In case this matters to you, McClean County is a bone dry county. Hopkins County is a dry county with three moist cities, including Madisonville. Muhlenberg is a dry county with only one moist city - Central City.

All three cities have libraries, grocery stores, and parks - it’s a matter of how large. All three counties, by the way, have additional tiny cities that will be easily with 20 minutes of their county “big” city. What are actually considered the big cities nearby will be Owensboro and Bowling Green, both within an easy commute - but big is a relative term. Most of Kentucky is considered very safe with little stranger crime, and this area is no exception.

Old 04-01-2021, 07:49 PM

11,083 posts, read 17,527,537 times
My son lives in Madisonville with his wife and 4 kids aged from 6 to 14. His work is in another nearby town but they chose to stay in Madisonville to have something to do. It's unusual to find them at home on weekends. They're either at their church, the YMCA, playing soccer or softball, riding bikes, two of them are in the middle and high school bands, archery teams and also into Boy Scouts, which keeps them busy in the summer. Madisonville is within an hour or so of Kentucky Lake, Lake Barkley, and the Land Between the Lakes National Recreation Area.

Old 04-02-2021, 09:35 AM

Great info @Oldhag1. I hadn't even thought of the possibility of dry counties. Not a major issue for us, as we only drink occasionally; but good to know.

@kygman, your post along with Oldhag1 is starting to push Madisonville towards the front of the pack. Thanks!

Old 04-02-2021, 04:01 PM

11,083 posts, read 17,527,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAF84 View Post
Great info @Oldhag1. I hadn't even thought of the possibility of dry counties. Not a major issue for us, as we only drink occasionally; but good to know.

@kygman, your post along with Oldhag1 is starting to push Madisonville towards the front of the pack. Thanks!
No charge!

Old 04-06-2021, 09:56 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,277,221 times
Maybe your experience will be different, but I thought Madisonville was pretty run down when I lived in Kentucky. Owensboro is the nicest town in that part of Kentucky along with Henderson, and it is not close.

Old 04-07-2021, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Maybe your experience will be different, but I thought Madisonville was pretty run down when I lived in Kentucky. Owensboro is the nicest town in that part of Kentucky along with Henderson, and it is not close.
The OP said in the first post that Owensboro was too long a commute, and based on the places he’s looking at, Henderson probably will be also. Commute times are a true quality of life issue that for most people is the very first consideration in choosing where to live.

Old 04-08-2021, 06:24 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,277,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
The OP said in the first post that Owensboro was too long a commute, and based on the places he’s looking at, Henderson probably will be also. Commute times are a true quality of life issue that for most people is the very first consideration in choosing where to live.
OP cited a 45 minute drive from Owensboro as too far. However, the fringes of Owensboro where Target is would be closer to 30 minutes, not 45. That depends where exactly "near Bremen" is, but to me, that extra 10 minutes to be in Owensboro over Madisonville is well worth it. OP is going to make their own life choice, but 45 minutes may be off as a guess depending on where in Owensboro and where near Bremen.

Old 04-09-2021, 12:46 PM

Oldhag1 pretty much nailed it there. Thing is, if I can be 15 minutes away, I can see my kids when they wake up before heading to work, go home to eat lunch with the family, and not be too far if I work late. If we're based in Owensboro, I'll be out before the kids wake up, will miss lunch with the wife and kids, and then if I work late (which is fairly frequent), I'll miss dinner with them. Not to mention, we typically work 6 days, but most the time a half day on the sixth. It'd be a 1.5 hr drive for 4-5 hrs of work. My daily driver is 3/4 ton truck, not the most efficient for commuting either.

Don't get me wrong, Owensboro would be much nicer; but I'm hoping to find something that works, closer to the job site.

Last edited by VAF84; 04-09-2021 at 01:05 PM..

Old 04-09-2021, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAF84 View Post
Oldhag1 pretty much nailed it there. Thing is, if I can be 15 minutes away, I can see my kids when they wake up before heading to work, go home to eat lunch with the family, and not be too far if I work late. If we're based in Owensboro, I'll be out before the kids wake up, will miss lunch with the wife and kids, and then if I work late (which is fairly frequent), I'll miss dinner with them. Not to mention, we typically work 6 days, but most the time a half day on the sixth. It'd be a 1.5 hr drive for 4-5 hrs of work. My daily driver is 3/4 ton truck, not the most efficient for commuting either.

Don't get me wrong, Owensboro would be much nicer; but I'm hoping to find something that works, closer to the job site.
I don’t blame you. Being able to see and interact with your little people is priceless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky