Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2021, 05:29 PM

771 posts, read 624,457 times

Advertisements

I'd say Kentucky is more southern than Virginia, but not as southern as North Carolina.

Rural North Carolina is essentially just as "southern" as any area in the South, especially in the eastern part of the state. Also, North Carolina is comfortably located in the South, geographically. You have to go four hours north of Raleigh to reach the southern tip of the Bos-Wash corridor, for example. This makes North Carolina feel more southern than peripheral areas of the South.

While I view Kentucky as a southern state, it's hard to argue against the fact that it's close to the Midwest, and the bulk of Kentucky's population lives near Indiana and Ohio. One can easily argue that the Cincinnati suburbs are not southern at all, even though some people like to joke that Cincinnati might as well be in Kentucky. In my opinion, the Ohio River is a good dividing line. Southern Ohio has Appalachian flavor, but it's not "southern."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2021, 03:41 PM

124 posts, read 108,380 times
Kentucky (lived in Lexington for 17 years) and Virginia are virtually multiple states in of themselves. Western Kentucky is different than the Eastern part, while both are completely different than Northern Kentucky. Virginia is the same way. Northern Virginia (where I grew up) and southwest Virginia are on opposite sides of the spectrum in numerous categories. The cultural differences are remarkably different from one end of the state to the other in both Kentucky and Virginia. Even the dialects are different.

Old 06-16-2021, 10:23 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,266,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinque View Post
Western KY is most similar to rural Middle Tennessee and Southeast Missouri. Eastern KY is most similar to West Virginia, Southeast Ohio, Southwest Virginia, Western/Upstate Carolinas, and Northern Georgia.

The northern and western portions of Arkansas are pretty much a mix of Western and Eastern KY culturally with a little bit of their own flavor to add to it.

No one in rural KY is similar to Northern Virginia or the academic triangles of North Carolina, but those areas are not similar to most areas of their own state as well.

It should be noted that increasingly major metros are really beginning to diverge from their cultures of their respective states, which is one of the main reasons for the divides we see today. Is East Nashville the same as most of Tennessee for instance at least culturally?
Personally, I think eastern KY, southwest VA, and extreme southern WV can all be lumped together as "core Appalachia." TN north and east of Knoxville isn't that far culturally removed, but is just more heavily populated.

For the most part, outside the Smoky Mountain tourist area, there isn't much in the way of outside interest in these areas. The economy is mostly local/regional. Coal is a significant influence everywhere but TN. We don't get the tourist or out of area money that western NC/Asheville get.

Old 06-17-2021, 06:39 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,719,555 times
To my delight, Kentucky seemed more culturally Southern than Florida, Texas and Virginia — combined.

Old 06-22-2021, 03:55 AM

811 posts, read 887,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
To my delight, Kentucky seemed more culturally Southern than Florida, Texas and Virginia — combined.
I’ve been saying this for years, Lol. People really have no idea how Southern Kentucky really is as many people have never been there and experienced what it truly is like. I lived all over the Bluegrass State among other Southern States to include Tennessee and Florida, travelled across every Southern State countless times and Kentucky is still one of the most Southern feeling States regardless how far North it is and bordering the lower Midwest.

Old 06-22-2021, 04:06 PM

124 posts, read 108,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinque View Post
Western KY is most similar to rural Middle Tennessee and Southeast Missouri. Eastern KY is most similar to West Virginia, Southeast Ohio, Southwest Virginia, Western/Upstate Carolinas, and Northern Georgia.

The northern and western portions of Arkansas are pretty much a mix of Western and Eastern KY culturally with a little bit of their own flavor to add to it.

No one in rural KY is similar to Northern Virginia or the academic triangles of North Carolina, but those areas are not similar to most areas of their own state as well.

It should be noted that increasingly major metros are really beginning to diverge from their cultures of their respective states, which is one of the main reasons for the divides we see today. Is East Nashville the same as most of Tennessee for instance at least culturally?

NoVa. is a circus of all to its own.

Old 06-23-2021, 08:23 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
This type of disaster wouldn't be a "delight."

https://nypost.com/2021/06/22/mans-t...-redneck-rave/

Old 06-24-2021, 04:24 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,891,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
This type of disaster wouldn't be a "delight."

https://nypost.com/2021/06/22/mans-t...-redneck-rave/
Please don't lump all Kentuckians into that "redneck rave" embarrassment. It was aimed at a rather specific group of individuals, and was attended by people from at least five states - at least, people from five states had "encounters" with the local police and/or medics.

I don't think the guy who "organized it" (loosely speaking) is a native Kentuckian, either. The business which hosted it did nothing to endear themselves to the locals, who are used to tourists and other out-of-state visitors, since this is right next to Mammoth Cave National Park. Tourism is a big business locally, with many other family-friendly local attractions which add to the area, just as most visitors to the area add to the economy rather than being a drain on local police and first responder resources, unlike these self-proclaimed "rednecks".

I thought the local authorities managed to keep their cool remarkably well under extremely trying circumstances.

Aside: as with the January 6 invasion of the Capitol, I noticed that a LOT of the "redneck rave" guys look a great deal alike, and it's not just the popular bearded baseball cap tattooed thing. They have broad faces, tend to be tubby and short-limbed, and many are fair skinned (and sunburned, at this event). What gives?? Is there a correlation, or is this just a coincidence? I'm sure diet plays a role with the tubbiness, but not the rest. Very few lanky, thin-faced guys in this crowd that I saw.

No one seems to wear prescription glasses, either, and they don't strike me as contact lens types. Maybe the common sunglasses had prescription lenses.

I won't touch on the ladies present. Although the broad-faced, short-limbed thing was going on with many of them as well.

For the record, I also have a rather full face - but I wouldn't be caught dead or alive at a redneck rave! Not my thing.

Last edited by CraigCreek; 06-24-2021 at 04:37 PM..

Old 06-24-2021, 05:25 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Please don't lump all Kentuckians into that "redneck rave" embarrassment. It was aimed at a rather specific group of individuals, and was attended by people from at least five states - at least, people from five states had "encounters" with the local police and/or medics.

I don't think the guy who "organized it" (loosely speaking) is a native Kentuckian, either. The business which hosted it did nothing to endear themselves to the locals, who are used to tourists and other out-of-state visitors, since this is right next to Mammoth Cave National Park. Tourism is a big business locally, with many other family-friendly local attractions which add to the area, just as most visitors to the area add to the economy rather than being a drain on local police and first responder resources, unlike these self-proclaimed "rednecks".

I thought the local authorities managed to keep their cool remarkably well under extremely trying circumstances.

Aside: as with the January 6 invasion of the Capitol, I noticed that a LOT of the "redneck rave" guys look a great deal alike, and it's not just the popular bearded baseball cap tattooed thing. They have broad faces, tend to be tubby and short-limbed, and many are fair skinned (and sunburned, at this event). What gives?? Is there a correlation, or is this just a coincidence? I'm sure diet plays a role with the tubbiness, but not the rest. Very few lanky, thin-faced guys in this crowd that I saw.

No one seems to wear prescription glasses, either, and they don't strike me as contact lens types. Maybe the common sunglasses had prescription lenses.

I won't touch on the ladies present. Although the broad-faced, short-limbed thing was going on with many of them as well.

For the record, I also have a rather full face - but I wouldn't be caught dead or alive at a redneck rave! Not my thing.
It wasn't my implication at all to lump people into only one category, just countering the poster Bert_from_back_East with a small reality check. There are pros and cons to any place that one lives. This type of event feeds into the very unfortunate Kentucky stereotypes, even if it is applicable to a very small percentage. I spend plenty of money in the state, so it is in everyone's best interests economically for the state to improve and attract more newcomers and positive investments.

Old 06-25-2021, 06:31 AM

811 posts, read 887,708 times
Yes, that redneck rave event was pretty embarrassing but doubt it represents majority of Kentucky. On the other hand, the event does perpetuate the negative stereotypes of Kentucky that many people, even other Southerners hold. When I bring up that I used to live in KY to people from other States I am met with questions regarding whether people wear shoes, have teeth, do meth all day and other negative stereotypes. Kentucky’s reputation across the region is not very good, sadly, because it is such an incredibly beautiful place with friendly people.

West Virginia also gets pumped in with negative “hillbilly” stereotypes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky