Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2020, 11:04 AM

1,651 posts, read 1,302,471 times

Advertisements

I was watching a video, and the blogger says "if you are interested in buying a home in Kentucky and leaving it to your kids, read up on the Kentucky inheritance laws..." Blogger did not further elaborate.

So it seems there is something unique about KY's inheritance laws relating to houses. What is it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2020, 01:51 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,152,106 times
Kentucky is a Dower and Curtsey state - one of the few left. That means a spouse must sign away their right to any real property, you don’t just get to decide to only leave it to your kids. Even if you write a will specifically saying they can’t inherit the property, but are not legally divorced from them, the spouse can renounce the will and request their dower rights or can charge “fraud on the dower” if manipulations are done to hide the assets.

It’s really complicated and if you seriously need to understand it, rather than just being curious, you need to talk to an actual lawyer.

Old 08-15-2020, 06:53 PM

13 posts, read 24,982 times
I would suggest that you go to the KENTUCKY DEPARTMENT OF REVENUE website and search for INHERITANCE TAX.

Old 08-15-2020, 07:23 PM

1,651 posts, read 1,302,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moreyhead View Post
I would suggest that you go to the KENTUCKY DEPARTMENT OF REVENUE website and search for INHERITANCE TAX.
I did do a rough scan on the inheritance laws; seems quite normal -- 1/2 goes to spouse, the rest goes to descendants or parents. This is consistent with what's reasonable.

The vlogger made it seem like there is some weird policy worth digging out.

Old 08-16-2020, 06:24 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,152,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
I did do a rough scan on the inheritance laws; seems quite normal -- 1/2 goes to spouse, the rest goes to descendants or parents. This is consistent with what's reasonable.

The vlogger made it seem like there is some weird policy worth digging out.
What makes it different is that even with a will you can not give your property just to your children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky