Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2020, 03:48 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,492,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
This...It still has quite a few cities and towns in the 5-40% black range. So, some of this will depend on where in the state you are. It seems like central and Western KY have places with higher percentages than say Eastern KY, minus say a couple of places in Harlan County.
A lot of the former mining towns in E KY have significant Black populations but those towns are a small percent of the overall county population. W KY has some towns with higher Black populations near the TN border from Russellville to the MS River. But most post Civil War Blacks in KY left their small towns either for Northern cities or Louisville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2020, 07:50 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,455,624 times
ben young.

Toronto is a city, but it is also 140 neighbourhoods. I live on a residential street in the west part of midtown. This area was first developed in the 1900 era, with two story brick homes, on large lots. According to our local census returns just about 90 percent of the homes on my street are owner residents . . So hardly any renters.

The nationalities on my block are …..Italian, Greek, Polish, Russian, Brazilian, Jamaican, South African, Chinese , and Canadian. My street is called Via Italia, which recognizes the early immigrants from Italy to Toronto. The main street that is 3 blocks away from my house is Corso Italia. In one block on Corso you will find a Italian social club, a Thai café, a Jamaican roti shop, a German deli, a Hungarian butcher shop and 4 banks, all of which can serve customers in 5 or 6 languages.

Unlike some American cities, there is no black neighbourhood. That group is spread out across the city, not clustered in one place. They do have places that have stores and businesses that serve the black community, but one has to remember that in this city black can mean people who were born in many other countries. A diverse group, for sure.

Old 08-02-2020, 08:56 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,557,742 times
I've never really thought about this before, because, in the towns I've lived in, and I've lived in western Kentucky all my life, I've seen good sized black communities. There are, and have been blacks on the city councils and a black man is one of two in the running for Mayor of Paducah.
We also have a big population of Mexicans, hispanics, and Somalians who came to this area working for the chicken processing plant outside of town. A lot of people don't want them around saying they're here to take jobs from the locals. I've known quite a few locals who have said they can have those jobs processing chickens.

Old 08-02-2020, 07:38 PM

1,049 posts, read 654,792 times
Kentucky is a bit more diverse than people give it credit for. There are zones that are largely 90-98% white (mostly in the Coalfields both on the Western and Eastern end) and in general are very rural. Even a few of these counties have 4-5% Hispanic population. Probably not too dissimilar from the rural Midwest.

There are some areas that have 20-30% black populations not too dissimlar to areas further south. Counties that resemble this are Christian, Hickman, and Fulton Counties in Western KY.

Bowling Green is one of the most diverse places in the entire Upland/Upper South. At Warren Central and Bowling Green High there are 40+ languages spoken by the student body. A significant refugee population, Bowling Green is 10% Bosnian, and has a significant black population. Louisville is quite diverse like this as well.

Old 08-03-2020, 12:48 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,376,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaisonDeEtre View Post
Some numbers from Wikipedia.

Looks to me like KY is almost as diverse as California.

California
-------------
72.1% White (including Hispanic Whites)
15.3% Asian
6.5% Black or African American
1.6% Native American and Alaska Native
0.5% Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander
3.9% Two or more races

Kentucky
------------
87.8 % White
7.8% Black
1.1% Asian
0.2% Native American and Alaska Native
0.1% Native Hawaiian and other Pacific Islander
1.3% Other race
1.7% Two or more races
Diversity means a plethora of races (or other backgrounds depending on the type of diversity you are measuring). Having 96% of your population coming from only 2 races is not very diverse.

Even California, at the state level, is not very diverse. No state in the US is truly diverse in my opinion, but many cities/metro areas in many states are.

Old 08-03-2020, 02:50 PM

5,955 posts, read 2,886,067 times
Seems to BLM an area is only diverse when its 51% black and 49 % everyone else.

Old 08-09-2020, 06:29 AM

152 posts, read 104,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben young View Post
Hmm Toronto according to the Left leaning bible, Wikipedia, is 8.9 percent Black and that's all the diversity the left cares about in the US.

I have to say that this is the best description of Wikipedia that I have heard. We could also use that definition for Snopes! LOL

Old 08-09-2020, 09:22 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,768,175 times
As a black guy who lived in KY for two years, it is just not a diverse state. Yes, you have Louisville, Lexington, and the military areas around Ft Knox and Campbell which are pretty diverse. However, don’t hold your breath to see much diversity in the rest of the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky