Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2019, 05:26 PM

26,431 posts, read 46,625,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Louisville really isn't hardly any colder than TN. Due to global warming, Louisville in 2050 will be as warm as Nashville today:

https://www.courier-journal.com/stor...ds/1732597001/

If you read that article you will see. It's pretty mild here, and like TX, the summers are the same hot and humid with a small chance of scattered storms. You need to keep in mind the warming and Louisville and particularly Floyds Knobs IN may be a good place to look. These places are well kept secrets!
One of the reasons I moved out of the river valley were the horridly warm overnight temperatures in the hot/warm seasons. The Louisville urban heat island cannot be overstated. However, Floyds Knobs region and anywhere at 800-1,000 ft elevation is a solid 5-7 degrees cooler than Louisville, particularly low temperatures. There are breaks in the heat occasionally during the summer, OP. The low temperature tomorrow night here will be 55 degrees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2019, 05:41 PM

7,892 posts, read 11,421,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Louisville really isn't hardly any colder than TN. Due to global warming, Louisville in 2050 will be as warm as Nashville today:

https://www.courier-journal.com/stor...ds/1732597001/

If you read that article you will see. It's pretty mild here, and like TX, the summers are the same hot and humid with a small chance of scattered storms. You need to keep in mind the warming and Louisville and particularly Floyds Knobs IN may be a good place to look. These places are well kept secrets!
Why the Indiana side not the KY side? Is the tax situation for a retiree different in Indiana vs Ky? I did not see many homes for sale in my price range on the Indiana side

With this warming wont the sea coast land flood running those pecky citizens inland to higher ground like Ky and In?

Last edited by Johnhw2; 07-22-2019 at 06:41 PM..

Old 07-23-2019, 07:52 AM

Lexington is about 9 degrees cooler than where I am now that is about as cold as my wife can handle with her RA etc. That is a huge difference me too which is a good thing as I prefer cooler places but not Pittsburgh temperatures

Old 07-23-2019, 08:18 AM

14,785 posts, read 8,123,845 times
Well, whether you move to Lexington, or somewhere else, or just stay put, I hope you find yourself on the right path,
and wish you and your wife the best. (Moving at times can be such a fun adventure, but at other times it's a tiring burden, depending on the circumstances.)

The Internet has changed life so much, you can find out about all kinds of places, homes and travel, just from your chair at your desk.

I don't have RA, but have had bouts of Arthritis on and off, through the years, and it is painful and can be crippling at times. It sounds like you are doing a good job, of providing her with excellent Medical Care though.
From your posts it sounds like you have lived in many different places, and have had a lot of interesting experiences...
You should write a book! Seriously, it sounds like you might have a really interesting Biography.

Old 07-23-2019, 10:18 AM

Thanks for the good wishes. We have been blessed to live in a lot of interesting places. I learned more about my self each new place we lived. We traveled a lot too when younger and before my wife's health condition was as debilitating as it is now so we do not need a big airport.

I just checked state and local taxes for Indiana. While KY is considered one of the best states for retirees tax wise, Indiana is at the opposite end of the spectrum as one of worst for retirees. Ky you are doing a lot of things right, I still want to see Lexington on the ground when we get up to middle Tn, which will be when my wife's health permits

Old 07-25-2019, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
Well, whether you move to Lexington, or somewhere else, or just stay put, I hope you find yourself on the right path,
and wish you and your wife the best. (Moving at times can be such a fun adventure, but at other times it's a tiring burden, depending on the circumstances.)

The Internet has changed life so much, you can find out about all kinds of places, homes and travel, just from your chair at your desk.

I don't have RA, but have had bouts of Arthritis on and off, through the years, and it is painful and can be crippling at times. It sounds like you are doing a good job, of providing her with excellent Medical Care though.
From your posts it sounds like you have lived in many different places, and have had a lot of interesting experiences...
You should write a book! Seriously, it sounds like you might have a really interesting Biography.
Thanks, we are facing a change in the major medicine my wife takes for her RA. It has flared significantly this week so we are looking at options. RA Dr says there are four meds remaining wife has not been on. With most of these it takes a few months on them to get a good gage on how they are working in her system. The RA Dr here wrote the RA handbook, a reference all RA docs use to better understand the different meds and side effects and how they interact with other meds etc. So I would guess we will be stuck here a while as we find a new med that works better for her. So arm chair research for me a while.

I love to make a move, learning a new area, meeting new people learning the trickLs and hidden secrets of a new part of the world is something I enjoy.My wife not so much with her RA flaring. Thanks for your commens. I have ruled out Louisville.

Old 07-25-2019, 11:15 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,557,742 times
Once you find a place and get settled, you'll have to drive to western Kentucky to the town where Randy Galloway (ESPN Radio) was born. LOL
I didn't put in a plug for western Kentucky since, if Bowling Green is too small, there's nothing you'd like further west. But, as I said while ago, once you get settled, get out and check out the entire state. There's plenty to see and do!
Good luck in finding what you're looking for.

Old 07-26-2019, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
Once you find a place and get settled, you'll have to drive to western Kentucky to the town where Randy Galloway (ESPN Radio) was born. LOL
I didn't put in a plug for western Kentucky since, if Bowling Green is too small, there's nothing you'd like further west. But, as I said while ago, once you get settled, get out and check out the entire state. There's plenty to see and do!
Good luck in finding what you're looking for.
Thanks I sure plan to do so. Wife's health makes a driving trip one of the few activities she can do so will check out the whole area from Tn, to Ky and into AL too

Old 07-27-2019, 04:41 PM

1,049 posts, read 654,792 times
As far as cold concerns go, we can sometimes get cold in Kentucky and even get some snow/ice but the wicked cold, for the most part, is restricted to areas north of Interstate 70. Louisville and Lexington do get a decent deal more winter weather versus Nashville and points south (12 to 15 inches versus like 6 inches of snow) but still pales in comparison to anything you would see north of I-70 or in the higher elevation locations in Appalachia, temperature-wise there isn't all that much of a difference. Typically if it is like 45F on a Nashville January Day it is typically in the low 40s in Louisville and Lexington unless you have a sharp cold front in between.

I would definitely check out Lexington and Louisville (especially the East Side of the city over into Oldham County). I would also check out Sumner County in Tennessee (Gallatin to Hendersonville) as it is close enough to the country but also close enough to a variety of shopping options, and it isn't quite as crowded as Williamson County.

Old 07-29-2019, 08:19 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,909,919 times
I live in Lexington and recently spent a week in Nashville, which has changed enormously in recent years due to extremely rapid growth and a great deal of new development downtown. It is still a pretty place, with lots of shady suburbs, but traffic - even outside of rush hour and on weekdays - is heavy in places where it used to be light to moderate, I found (I spent a year in Nashville several decades ago and have visited there almost annually in more recent years). On my most recent visit, Nashville reminded me of a child who is growing so rapidly that he or she is wearing outgrown clothing - it's uncomfortable.

Lexington, thus far, has not been cursed with such unwieldy growth (and I hope it never will be). While there are numerous apartment complexes and a good many newer housing developments, more focus is being given to urban infill these days, and many of the older neighborhoods retain their value and desirability, with architecturally interesting houses being respectfully updated rather than "remuddled", barring a few distressing exceptions.

As Lexington is in the fabled but lightly wooded Bluegrass region of Kentucky, with its pastoral rolling meadows, historic drystone walls, and manicured thoroughbred horse farms, expansion can be destructive. Because of this, Lexington-Fayette County has some legal restrictions on acreage for new rural construction, and additional incentives designed to help preserve this unique and historic landscape.

In regard to medical care, Vanderbilt University Hospital in Nashville is a noted regional health center with a number of specialties. In Lexington, the University of Kentucky Hospital offers similar care. There are additional rheumatologists at the Lexington Arthritis Center, and most of them have their own areas of expertise.

Nashville's weather is milder than that in Lexington - winter comes later and leaves earlier by a couple of weeks, most years. Both cities do have their share of gray winter days and hot summers, but severe weather is fairly uncommon, though tornados do occasionally visit, and Nashville had a bad flood several years ago. Lexington has had a couple of notably awful ice storms (awful if you had to live through them, as most of us here did) in the last 15 years - but one per decade isn't a bad ratio. I do keep a good supply of firewood and batteries on hand nowadays, though.

I hope your wife's health will improve so you can visit both cities soon. Fall is probably a more comfortable time to visit, which would also give you time to learn more about the possibilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky