Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2020, 01:59 PM

14 posts, read 15,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydc View Post
We think we are pretty well narrowed down to:
Morehead
Mount Sterling
Irvine
Stanton
Berea
We are planning a trip within the next few months, but can only see so much in a week. Is there one of these areas we could eliminate (lack of jobs, drug issues, lack of mountains(Mt.Sterling?), high cost of living (Berea?) We are thinking a few days in Berea and a few days in Stanton. Are we on the right track?
Hi, kydc, did you ever get out to KY and check out the listed areas? I'm curious as to your thoughts on the different areas. We're planning on going in August, and have some of the same search criteria as you. Small difference is I'd rather be closer to the mountains (hiking/outdoors), but close-ish to Lexington, in case our remote jobs become defunct at any point in time and new employment is necessary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2020, 11:06 AM

36 posts, read 53,811 times
COHeather, we stayed in Stanton and visited RRG. We loved the Gorge but not so much the feel of Stanton for living there. Our trip ended up being rushed and we only drove through Irvine and Berea.

Old 07-15-2020, 11:46 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,893,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kydc View Post
We think we are pretty well narrowed down to:
Morehead
Mount Sterling
Irvine
Stanton
Berea
We are planning a trip within the next few months, but can only see so much in a week. Is there one of these areas we could eliminate (lack of jobs, drug issues, lack of mountains(Mt.Sterling?), high cost of living (Berea?) We are thinking a few days in Berea and a few days in Stanton. Are we on the right track?
Parts of Mt Sterling are hilly, and you can see the mountains to the east from the edge of town. It has an active, beautifully preserved downtown and lots of history. Half an hour's drive will take you to Cave Run Lake, with adjacent mountains, and the Red River Gorge is not far away, either.

Cost of living in Berea is comparable to or perhaps a little lower than Lexington. Trade-off is the very different ambiances in the two towns, with each having a lot of positives. They're just 45 minutes from each other, so residents in both can benefit from their proximity.

Old 07-21-2020, 05:45 PM

8 posts, read 8,620 times
I can give you some perspective on Berea and Lexington. I lived in Lexington for about 6 years after moving to KY from a much more populated area/state. I really enjoyed Lexington. Plenty of things to do, good access to healthcare and education, and a lot of local restaurants (I was pleasantly surprised with how many non-chain restaurants it has!).

Berea is also quite nice and is what I think would be a good match based on your "wants." It has a Walmart, yet also very unique local shops, galleries, and restaurants. It is about a 10-15 minute drive to Richmond, which has more shopping/grocery stores/hardware stores, and about 25 minutes or so to the Hamburg area of Lexington, which has just about everything. The airport is about 50 minutes from Berea, so it is also quite convenient for traveling.

Like others have said, I wouldn't worry about being a conservative family...a lot of people are and I find Bereans to be very open and respectful of others, no matter what you believe. The hiking, walking trails, and mountain views are also everywhere in town. If you want land, you might find more opportunity in Irvine/Estill County, or even Garrard County next door.

The main drawback I have about Berea is the lack of a variety of dining options, but I foresee that changing in the next few years as the city works on expanding the industrial park (more jobs) and the tourism of the town. Overall, it is a really nice town and the people are extremely friendly!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky