Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2018, 06:04 PM

1,059 posts, read 1,893,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Vance comes from the perspective of the over 1 million people who left rural Kentucky after WW2 and resettled in more affluent areas, though they brought much of their baggage and positive elements of their Appalachian culture with them. I related to his book more than any I've ever read because we are about the same age, came from incredibly dysfunctional families, and both have parents from the poorest parts of rural Kentucky but spent our childhoods mostly elsewhere. Usually people from the rich parts of Kentucky are shocked when I tell them of how my parents grew up - one without electricity or indoor plumbing - or how far out of state they moved for work. Much of my family moved to Chicago, Detroit, Cincinnati, and even Sacramento CA. About half stayed. It's not things the board of tourism likes to advertise but the reality is that once you get a bit south of I-64 or east of Lexington you are leaving the 1st World and entering 3rd World America. Life expectancy declines by 10 to 15 years, rates of obesity, abuse rates of children and animals, and divorce go up exponentially. It's a cycle that's hard to overcome when the smartest and hardest working of your people move elsewhere once they graduate high school. I know many highly educated people from Eastern KY... and not a single one still lives there.
Hey mr data...I see you still have that chip on your shoulder. But what I can't figure out is, what do you hope to accomplish by enticing someone to knock it off?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky