Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 10:36 AM

34 posts, read 144,586 times

Advertisements

We're moving there this weekend and we are absolutely excited to escape the high taxes and crime of the mid-Atlantic region.
We lived all around the globe while I was in the military and we always wanted to find a nice area to raise kids and still be near a major city. That's what attracted us to Etown and we couldn't be happier. It has every big box store we shop at and the cost of living is great. My parents are even considering retiring to the area next year and I see the economy going strong there too.
It has a lot going for it that many would enjoy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 12:06 PM

332 posts, read 1,628,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinheitsgebot View Post
you can build a new home around $1.10 a square foot

This has to be either a typo or bad math. You can't build a doghouse (anywhere) for $1.10 a sqft. . .

Old 04-09-2008, 01:25 PM

34 posts, read 144,586 times
oops, you caught me. I meant $110.00 a square foot!
Thanks for keeping me honest.

Old 04-16-2008, 10:09 PM

21 posts, read 32,897 times
Thank you so much you guys! I really appreciate your honesty and candidness. We're still in limbo. DH is close to getting a really good job here in L.A., so we may stay here for a little while longer. The more I think of it, the more I think maybe it's not a good time to move away from family with a new baby coming in a few months. I'm sure I'll need a lot of help from my family with 3 little ones. Although, my Dad & Stepmom are currently on vacation in Nashville and they just called us to remind us how much we would love the South. I don't know what's in our future. DH talked to the Leitchfield employer today and he wants to fly DH out there next week to check it out. I'm sure that will give us more insight.

Thanks again for all of your advice/opinions!

Sasha

BTW, what is the "bug situation" like in KY? Are they really big? Are there a lot of them? I have a huge fear of bugs and seriously don't think I can live with them. Would having the house sprayed for bugs keep them away???

Last edited by sashachamp; 04-16-2008 at 10:19 PM..

Old 04-17-2008, 05:24 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,120,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sashachamp View Post
Thank you so much you guys! I really appreciate your honesty and candidness. We're still in limbo. DH is close to getting a really good job here in L.A., so we may stay here for a little while longer. The more I think of it, the more I think maybe it's not a good time to move away from family with a new baby coming in a few months. I'm sure I'll need a lot of help from my family with 3 little ones. Although, my Dad & Stepmom are currently on vacation in Nashville and they just called us to remind us how much we would love the South. I don't know what's in our future. DH talked to the Leitchfield employer today and he wants to fly DH out there next week to check it out. I'm sure that will give us more insight.

Thanks again for all of your advice/opinions!

Sasha

BTW, what is the "bug situation" like in KY? Are they really big? Are there a lot of them? I have a huge fear of bugs and seriously don't think I can live with them. Would having the house sprayed for bugs keep them away???
My mom gets her house sprayed a few times a year and it works. I dunno what you consider big but I don't think we have bugs that are "Florida big"

Old 04-17-2008, 07:13 AM

332 posts, read 1,628,030 times
The only "bug" problems we had were pretty benign . . . crickets in the basement and the yearly infestations of ladybugs.

Oh, yeah, and the japanese beetles were deadly to our garden . . . DON'T get those "hormone traps" -- they just attract even more of the little SOBs . . . so I guess they do work, but not in the way intended . . .

Old 04-17-2008, 04:47 PM

42 posts, read 117,063 times
Please...please...PLEASE don't make the move.

BEEN THERE AND DONE THAT, my friend! Moved from a mid-sized city in the North to Leitchfield (wife job offer), and hated every single minute of it. It's not quaint and pleasant by any means.

E-Town is much better, but still nothing to write home about. You would probably die from the culture shock. Night and friggin' day difference from LA. There's no Rodeo Drive in E-Town!

Old 04-17-2008, 05:07 PM

1,833 posts, read 6,437,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
Elizabethtown is in Hardin County - Pop. is near 100,000. It's not that small, plus it's close to Louisville. It's a beautiful part of the state.
Compared to the 13,000,000 in the LA metro area, it's tiny. I'm guessing you are speaking of Hardin Co, as E-Town is only around 22,000.

Old 04-17-2008, 05:42 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,590,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davart View Post
Compared to the 13,000,000 in the LA metro area, it's tiny. I'm guessing you are speaking of Hardin Co, as E-Town is only around 22,000.
Yes, notice I put Hardin County....

Old 04-20-2008, 06:39 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,829,902 times
The difference is...like, wow! Well, if you have to move to E'town/Hardin Co., then live RIGHT IN E'town. Make sure you're within two minutes of Dixie Highway (US 31W). That way, you're close to Towne Square Mall, the cinema, Barnes & Noble, Wal-Mart, Lowe's, Home Depot, Applebee's, O'Charley's, Olive Garden, a slew of car dealerships, and the two bypasses for quicker access to the parkway and interstate system should you ever decide to take a trip.

You're in for a culture shock, that's for sure. I'd recommend living in Jefferson Co. (Louisville) to you, but that's not feasible when considering the high gas prices. Make the best of it. You may come to love Kentucky, who knows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky