Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 04:35 PM
V&L V&L started this thread

112 posts, read 149,876 times

Advertisements

I was told recently that the State that looks most similar to England is central Kentucky. Any thoughts? Please only respond if you have been to both places. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2015, 06:17 PM

14,767 posts, read 8,097,050 times
I haven't been to England, but I have several friends online that I have talked to from England and the UK, and they seem to think it looks like a certain part of England.

I also met a lady from Ireland, and was talking to here, I asked her why she decide to settle here in Lexington, and she said - "Well, Look at it! Look how green! Where else would I settle in America?"

I also read online that Kentucky has the highest percentage of folks that originated from the UK, than any other state, but I am not sure if that is factual or not.

Old 10-14-2015, 05:01 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,464,896 times
Inner Bluegrass Region looks a lot like the British Isles

Kentucky

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.0017...!7i3328!8i1664

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.0992...7i13312!8i6656

A random location in Ireland

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ir...dbf408!6m1!1e1

A random location in England

https://www.google.com/maps/@52.5843...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Old 10-14-2015, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post

I also read online that Kentucky has the highest percentage of folks that originated from the UK, than any other state, but I am not sure if that is factual or not.
In general the South is the most British in terms of ancestry. More industrial areas of the US recieved more immigrants later on from other areas of Europe whereas the South didn't, so the original British/ Irish / German stock maintained dominance. I've done a bit of genealgy for myself and others and Kentucky outside of Louisville and NKY areas is mostly a mix of English, Scottish / Scots Irish, and German.

Old 10-14-2015, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
In general the South is the most British in terms of ancestry. More industrial areas of the US recieved more immigrants later on from other areas of Europe whereas the South didn't, so the original British/ Irish / German stock maintained dominance. I've done a bit of genealgy for myself and others and Kentucky outside of Louisville and NKY areas is mostly a mix of English, Scottish / Scots Irish, and German.
I have been working on my genealogy and it turns out my ancestors are from England, Germany and Ireland. So what you are saying sounds about right.

Old 10-14-2015, 04:48 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,890,406 times
Yes, Central Kentucky looks a LOT like parts of England, a resemblance helped by our many drystone fences, which are identical to those found in Scotland and parts of England (I am told they are also found in Ireland, but did not see them there during a brief visit many years ago). No wonder Kentucky's stone walls look just like the Irish and British ones: the original stonemasons were of those backgrounds.

The resemblance is particularly noticeable during the late spring and early summer, I think, when the Bluegrass is most likely to be a brilliant green, just like the fields in the Old Countries.

Old 10-18-2015, 01:02 AM

I think maybe in some pictures it does....that rural, horsey part of England....the name is eluding me right now. What do you think?

I also think Bluegrass music sounds a bit like the folk music from parts of the UK, and the Bluegrass cloggers remind me of the Riverdance cloggers(?) from Ireland...not exactly, but a bit.

So no, we aren't New York City, we aren't Frisco...but I am glad that we aren't(not that they are beautiful and wonderful in their own way, just different), because I like it here the way that it is. We are much more of a rural state than what you are use to...but I don't think we lack charm or beauty.

Last edited by Crazee Cat Lady; 10-18-2015 at 01:38 AM..

Old 10-18-2015, 05:56 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,945,993 times
I haven't been to the UK or Ireland, but my brother has. In his eternal words, "It's like Kentucky, but with sheep!" Pictures speak 1,000 words. Central Kentucky is mostly rolling farms and light wooded areas. Pretty beautiful area. As for the stone fences, I was always told it was the Irish immigrants who brought the practice over.

Old 10-18-2015, 01:07 PM

I think the prevalence of stones is why Central Kentucky has British style stone fences while other British setled areas of America don't. You can gather piles of large stones if you have land in the inner Bluegrass. Large rocks literally seep up through the ground. Original ones were made by Irish but most ones you see now were made by Black Freedman.

Old 10-20-2015, 11:15 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,890,406 times
Leicestershire strongly resembles the Bluegrass region of Kentucky - similar green rolling fields, bordered by fence rows of trees and stone fences identical to those found in the Bluegrass. Cattle grazing; some horses (more in Kentucky).

Pretty places, both!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky