Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2015, 02:53 PM

13 posts, read 27,496 times

Advertisements

Hi!
My husband and I are starting to seriously weigh a move to Kentucky from Santa Barbara, CA. I love SB (born and raised) but it is exorbitantly expensive. We had some big dreams to make it here and it doesn't seem to be working out. We are hoping to save and maybe buy a small farm property in KY. The thing that makes me saddest is leaving the ocean. I love swimming, just taking a break from my day to spend an hour taking a quick dip at the beach and going on with my day. I have read that KY has more freshwater coastline than florida. Cool. Are there places to go swim on the rivers or lakes (without needing a boat?). Is it enjoyable or are you swarmed by mosquitos or leeches or something? Anyone have suggestions or pictures of places, especially around central KY? In my ideal world I would be able to buy a few acres outside a nice town with a creek that would have a nice swimming hole. Is that far fetched?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2015, 07:52 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,890,406 times
Herrington Lake, aka Lake Herrington, is less than an hour from Lexington, to the southwest near Danville. Cave Run Lake, a much larger Army Corps of Engineers construction, is a bit farther to the east of Lexington- it has an "official" beach. Farther south is larger-yet Lake Cumberland, which offers all sorts of water sports.

As for finding property with a swimmable creek, it's possible, though many of Kentucky's creeks contain agricultural run-off and are not too safe for swimming (okay for wading if you wash your feet afterwards and don't have broken skin). But there are exceptions.

It may take some digging, but check out the lists of Kentucky's exceptional waterways, or get in touch with the state Division of Water for more information. While realtors can point you towards property with creeks, they may not know how safe they are.

Clear water is a good sign, as are crayfish (crawdads locally), water striders, and lots of small fish in shallow streams. Creeks which originate and flow through wooded areas are more likely to be clean, too. Mosquitoes do not breed in running water, and I'm unaware of any leech problems in central Kentucky. Our water comes from limestone surrounded springs - this is Karst topography - and is high in calcium and other minerals.

Old 08-29-2015, 01:12 PM

11,085 posts, read 17,530,236 times
You should check out Kentucky Lake/Lake Barkley/Land Between the Lakes area. Kenlake State Resort Park and Ky. Dam Village SRP both have beaches. They aren't officially opened any more but still have people going there. Moss Creek Day Beach, in the LBL is a nice quiet beach with picnic tables and shade to get out of the sun. Devil's Elbow, on the Barkley side of the LBL has a nice day beach also.
As far as owning property along either lake, the Corps of Engineers Craig mentioned have a lot to say on what you can put on the water. My wife's uncle wanted to put a boat dock below his house but couldn't until he had another local family go in on it with him according to the CEC.
Don't know of many creeks big enough to have a "swimming hole" in the western part of the state, but I've known some families who have put a small lake (you'd call it a pond. lol) on their property for swimming.

Old 09-11-2015, 02:37 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,943,092 times
There aren't many places to "swim" as you mean it. Very few sandy beaches (Cave Run Lake is one; a couple of the state parks have a tiny area), but none of them are very appealing. The man-made lakes are largely for boat put-in and fishing, the rivers aren't hospitable, and much creek access is privately owned land. "Shoreline" is deceptive.

Old 09-11-2015, 03:11 PM

1,059 posts, read 1,880,385 times
Laurel River Lake has a so called "Beach"...quite popular during the summer months.

Old 09-13-2015, 05:58 AM

1,012 posts, read 1,118,545 times
The cleanest lake in KY you will find is on the border with TN. Dale Hallow Lake. Shale rock bottom does a wonderful job keeping the water clean. My second cousin has a place on the water at the Land Between The Lakes and it is awesome. We just jump in from his dock all the time. Lake Cumberland is the largest lake you will find anywhere. I am sure that you can find something there to your liking.

Old 09-13-2015, 06:31 PM

11,085 posts, read 17,530,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashfearless View Post
The cleanest lake in KY you will find is on the border with TN. Dale Hallow Lake. Shale rock bottom does a wonderful job keeping the water clean. My second cousin has a place on the water at the Land Between The Lakes and it is awesome. We just jump in from his dock all the time. Lake Cumberland is the largest lake you will find anywhere. I am sure that you can find something there to your liking.
Kentucky Lake is a major navigable reservoir along the Tennessee River in Kentucky and Tennessee. Created in 1944 by the Tennessee Valley Authority's impounding of the Tennessee River by Kentucky Dam,[1] the 160,309-acre (649 km2) lake is the largest artificial lake by surface area in the United States east of the Mississippi River, with 2,064 miles of shoreline, (though not the largest by volume; Lake Cumberland holds that distinction). Kentucky Lake has a flood storage capacity of 4,008,000 acre-feet, more than 2.5 times of the next largest lake in the TVA system.

Lake Cumberland is a reservoir in Clinton, Laurel, McCreary, Pulaski, Russell, and Wayne counties in Kentucky.[1] The primary reasons for its construction were a means for flood control and the production of hydroelectric power. Its shoreline measures 1,255 miles (2,020 km) and the lake covers 65,530 acres (265 km2) at the maximum power pool elevation. The reservoir ranks 9th in the U.S. in size, with a capacity of 6,100,000 acre feet (7.5 km3) of water, enough to cover the entire Commonwealth of Kentucky with 3 inches (76 mm) of water. The main lake is 101 miles (163 km) long and over one mile (1.6 km) across at its widest point.

Either way, there's a bunch of water out there! lol

Old 02-01-2016, 09:19 PM

48 posts, read 49,449 times
Just out of curiosity, to the OP, did you move to Kentucky? I used to live near Lexington, liked it very much, but went to the Marriott there, they had a pool /health club outsiders could join. At least I got some swimming in, it was very nice. I don't know if they still let people other than hotel guests join any more.

Old 09-04-2018, 03:12 PM

13 posts, read 27,496 times
Hi! Wow I am replying late, but we did move to KY! Best decision we have ever made! We LOVE it and live on a few acres out of Versailles! We actually do have a tiny creek on the property, northing to swim in though, lol! Ok, for anyone googling Kentucky swimming holes, so far this is where we go and have enjoyed:

Favorite so far is Falling Rock Park. Quarry filled with rain water! Beautiful clear water. Keep in mind, no one under 18 allowed, no alcohol. You have to have a floatation device. Love it.

Zilpo Beach at Cave Run Lake. Clear water, very pretty, there is a parking fee. Gravel beach so wear sandals.

Renting kayaks at Grayson Lake.

Renting kayaks on elkhorn creek, although water is murky after rain.

Dog Slaughter Falls is good to swim in.

Bark Camp Creek Cascades

Swift Camp Creek in the Gorge.

Lake Cumberland if you rent a boat.

Still plan to check out lots more. I hear good thigs about all you guys mentioned as well as Buckhorn Lake, and some lake in eastern kentucky that starts with a C, I am blanking ok it at the moment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky