Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2016, 01:54 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,311,518 times

Advertisements

Merry Christmas to all and a very healthy and prosperous New Year, sincerely.

Home...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2016, 11:33 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,624,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Merry Christmas from a wannabe Kentuckian.
1. Buy plane ticket
2. Reserve rental car for 3 weeks
3. Do your due diligence.
4. Go home and pick one
5. Do it

And somewhere between 2 and 3, call me so i can set time aside to show you around.

And, on another note.... Merry Christmas to you and your family, Hogs. I owe you for making my Christmas a little better this year, and I'm going to tell you why.

Over the last year and a half (and especially the last year), I've begun to make more and more friends in the hills, and over the last 7 or 8 months I've been practically adopted by them - they treat me as if I were one of their own, and the first thing they ever ask me when I go visit is "when you moving up here?" or "when you buying my Uncle Lee's house?" or "If you ain't like Lee's place, what sorta house do you want us to try to find for you?" Maybe the finest people I've ever met in my life (closer than my real family), and the reason we're all friends is because when I met one of them and he first asked me for some help on something I'm good at, the first thing I thought was, "This guy seems a lot like Hogsrus sounds. I bet he's a lot like Hogs. I want to spend some time with him and get to know him."

That was a year ago, and the man is now one of my best friends in the world. I've never felt more at home in my life as I do when I visit up there. And a lot of it has to do with you just being the man you are here in these forums, to the point where I'd read enough of your posts to say to myself, "There must be a lot of people up there like that guy. I want to meet them."

And ya know what? There are a lot of people like that up there. I meet more of them every time I go up, now. And every damned time the sun goes down, and I put the lid back on the jar, shake hands and say goodbye to everyone on the porch or sitting around the fire, and get back in my car to drive back downhill, I give a little nod toward the part of the state where you live and thank you for letting me know that there were people here worth looking long and hard to make friends with. No matter where my wife and I go in this life, it will always be better for having made this group of true friends, and I really feel I owe a lot of it to you. I suspected then had to be here, you confirmed it, so I went looking. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. And have a Merry Christmas, and a Happy New Year. Thanks for being who you are, bro.

Last edited by Mr. In-Between; 12-23-2016 at 12:02 AM..

Old 12-26-2016, 07:19 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,890,406 times
Merry Second Day of Christmas from the Heart of the Bluegrass!

Old 12-28-2016, 10:32 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,723,992 times
As a former Kentuckian, hope y'all had a Merry Christmas! Thanks for treating my transplant friends who just moved there from NYC well.

Old 12-28-2016, 03:44 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,793,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. In-Between View Post
1. Buy plane ticket
2. Reserve rental car for 3 weeks
3. Do your due diligence.
4. Go home and pick one
5. Do it

And somewhere between 2 and 3, call me so i can set time aside to show you around.

And, on another note.... Merry Christmas to you and your family, Hogs. I owe you for making my Christmas a little better this year, and I'm going to tell you why.

Over the last year and a half (and especially the last year), I've begun to make more and more friends in the hills, and over the last 7 or 8 months I've been practically adopted by them - they treat me as if I were one of their own, and the first thing they ever ask me when I go visit is "when you moving up here?" or "when you buying my Uncle Lee's house?" or "If you ain't like Lee's place, what sorta house do you want us to try to find for you?" Maybe the finest people I've ever met in my life (closer than my real family), and the reason we're all friends is because when I met one of them and he first asked me for some help on something I'm good at, the first thing I thought was, "This guy seems a lot like Hogsrus sounds. I bet he's a lot like Hogs. I want to spend some time with him and get to know him."

That was a year ago, and the man is now one of my best friends in the world. I've never felt more at home in my life as I do when I visit up there. And a lot of it has to do with you just being the man you are here in these forums, to the point where I'd read enough of your posts to say to myself, "There must be a lot of people up there like that guy. I want to meet them."

And ya know what? There are a lot of people like that up there. I meet more of them every time I go up, now. And every damned time the sun goes down, and I put the lid back on the jar, shake hands and say goodbye to everyone on the porch or sitting around the fire, and get back in my car to drive back downhill, I give a little nod toward the part of the state where you live and thank you for letting me know that there were people here worth looking long and hard to make friends with. No matter where my wife and I go in this life, it will always be better for having made this group of true friends, and I really feel I owe a lot of it to you. I suspected then had to be here, you confirmed it, so I went looking. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. And have a Merry Christmas, and a Happy New Year. Thanks for being who you are, bro.
That's a very nice post, and I agree with what you've written. I spent a couple of days in the mountains before Christmas. But then, I try to make two or three trips a year, paying respects in family cemeteries, getting flowers on the graves, etc. Also meeting some of the nicest, most "real" people on the planet. My areas are Johnson and Magoffin Counties, mostly. Hope everyone has a happy, healthy and peaceful new year.

Old 01-05-2017, 11:26 AM

1,380 posts, read 2,396,840 times
I spent my Christmas hiking around the Red River Gorge. Beautiful scenery even though it was foggy. Hope I get back up that way soon. I'd love to do some exploring around the Daniel Boone National Forest. I love that there are no crowds like at the Smokies.

Old 01-05-2017, 02:26 PM

11,085 posts, read 17,530,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastmemphisguy View Post
I spent my Christmas hiking around the Red River Gorge. Beautiful scenery even though it was foggy. Hope I get back up that way soon. I'd love to do some exploring around the Daniel Boone National Forest. I love that there are no crowds like at the Smokies.
Eastmemphisguy, have you checked out the LBL? Over 500 miles of trails and over 200 miles of roads for hiking and biking.

https://www.landbetweenthelakes.us/s...e-bike-trails/

Old 01-05-2017, 10:25 PM

1,380 posts, read 2,396,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
Eastmemphisguy, have you checked out the LBL? Over 500 miles of trails and over 200 miles of roads for hiking and biking.

https://www.landbetweenthelakes.us/s...e-bike-trails/
Looks nice, but I prefer to have some mountain views. I live in the wrong part of the country.

Old 12-23-2017, 10:05 AM

1,059 posts, read 1,880,385 times
Merry Christmas to all and may you have a happy, healthy and prosperous new year.

hogs

Old 12-26-2017, 09:18 AM

11,085 posts, read 17,530,236 times
Merry Christmas, Hogs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky