Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 04:29 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,800,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raw Turkey Leg meat View Post
People came here to look for work and not to claim a spot on section 8. You know they had bridges back then too right? It's not like people made it to this end of Kentucky and stopped. There's probably an equal if not higher number of Appalachian transplants on that side of the river. Beings you've already been acknowledged as a hater you might as well make that longs list of why you prefer Cincy over NKY. Entertain us.
I'm not a hater of NKY. I don't even hate Kentucky in general. In fact, I like NKY and dislike, generally speaking, the other 117 counties. But there's something to be said about why Appalachian settlers, well, settled in the NKY towns aforementioned, as well as Ohio suburbs like St. Bernard, Cleves and Norwood; it feels rural and hilly, kind of like home.

During the winter, I find the Cincinnati/NKY hillsides to look barren and depressing. Many of these older neighborhoods have good people, charming architecture and good character, but I'm just not into the "Appalachian vibe" that exists in many of those hillside neighborhoods. In fact, I prefer to live in older, walkable, but safe neighborhoods; the neighborhood I live in meets those three requirements, but some of the clientele just came off "The Jerry Springer Show" it seems.

I do like places like Bellevue (cleaner than the other river cities), Ft. Thomas, Independence, Edgewood, and older parts of Florence (the newer parts are sterile and dull) in Kentucky. I like Hyde Park, Mt. Lookout, Clifton, Mt. Adams, and Oakley in Cincinnati. I like Mariemont, Montgomery, North College Hill (although it appears to be declining), and Milford in the Ohio suburbs. These places have more of an all-American feel rather than an all-Kentucky or -Appalachia feel; I got enough of that while living downstate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 04:52 PM

21 posts, read 69,015 times
Yeah, we kinda thought most of the people seemed like they had just come off the Jerry Springer show too! We also thought the rumors of nky in-breeding were alive and well after dining at an Italian restaurant in Crestview Hills, I think it was called Caberros? The atmosphere was nice, but the staff and other diners seemed very "jerry springer-ish".

However the more southern areas of KY seemed much nicer, although they had their share of these types of people too, it was not even close to those in northern KY. The Red River Gorge area was nice, very scenic, also liked the Daniel Boone forest. I cant understand why more northern Kentuckians do not visit these areas, being that there is nothing remotely close to recreation up in that part of the state?

Old 02-25-2010, 05:01 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,570,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mk75 View Post
Yeah, we kinda thought most of the people seemed like they had just come off the Jerry Springer show too! We also thought the rumors of nky in-breeding were alive and well after dining at an Italian restaurant in Crestview Hills, I think it was called Caberros? The atmosphere was nice, but the staff and other diners seemed very "jerry springer-ish".

However the more southern areas of KY seemed much nicer, although they had their share of these types of people too, it was not even close to those in northern KY. The Red River Gorge area was nice, very scenic, also liked the Daniel Boone forest. I cant understand why more northern Kentuckians do not visit these areas, being that there is nothing remotely close to recreation up in that part of the state?
What on earth? Some of you people scare me.

Old 02-25-2010, 05:26 PM

23 posts, read 73,685 times
woah

Old 03-07-2010, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post
You make northern KY sound like the rural south. It isn't. NKY is simply part of suburban Cincy. I don't think Confederate flags are a source of southern pride, I've yet to meet someone who flies one for anything other than a display of hatred or defiance. Futhermore, NKY was a Union strongehold, it was by no means full of Confederate sympathizers.
Part of Cincinnati????? That city is in another state entirely! Furthermore, Ohio is not considered an urban area anyway, it is a very rural state! Ive never heard of an area associating themselves with another state? That is definitely a new one. I read a post somewhere on here that said one of your public parks in northern KY has sewage water running thru its creek!!!! Is that true? OMG! From what Ive come to understand, it does not matter whether it be northern or southern KY, it is all about the same in that state.

Old 03-07-2010, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyUK View Post
Dude, have you ever been here? You are totally over exaggerating what I am saying anyway... i'm not a "hillbilly" and i'm not even really sure what that word means. The only people who use that around here are stuck up - don't be that guy. Just because we hunt, fish and go to kentucky speedway does not make us have less class than anyone else. Also, just to clarify i'm from NKY and grew up on a ranch but I also consider myself also a cincinnatian because NKY is part of cincinnati, make sense?
God, this is the fourth time Ive heard someone claim NKY is part of Cincinnati? That city is another state entirely! I always assumed Kentuckians were very proud of their "southern so to speak" roots? But I guess they are not that proud if they keep associating with another state? NKY is definitely unique! I have never been to an area like this before.

Old 03-08-2010, 04:34 AM

23 posts, read 73,685 times
Its usually only people further down in Kentucky carrying a napoleon complex who say we aren't part of Ky. It helps fill that void in their life that only being a dick can accomplish. It's true in a sense to every place that borders another so let me give you some examples. If I'm looking for something rather it be work, something I need, or just to have a good time I'm not going to limit my self to this side of the river. Neither do other people and that's why you see so many Ohio plates in NKY and vice versa. I can get to the stuff in downtown a lot faster than most Cincinnatians. If I'm explaining where I'm from to somebody saying Northern Kentucky is followed by someone assuming I live in the country half the time. Saying Cincinnati gives them a better idea of the kind of place I live in and beings most people are geographically retarded it helps them understand the area before going in to further detail. In Lamens were all Cincinnati Metro and obviously associated.

A lot of us who have roots here had family fight in both armies. Most people flying the Confederate flag now days are ignorant folks who some how associate supporting a government (republican party none the less) obsessed with oppression and being a rebel one in the same.

Old 03-08-2010, 06:00 AM

2,126 posts, read 6,802,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mk75 View Post
I read a post somewhere on here that said one of your public parks in northern KY has sewage water running thru its creek!!!! Is that true? OMG!
You are a special little troll. I can't say I've ever seen a troll reference their own troll attempt from another thread as if it was stated by another poster. Bravo young man, bravo.

Old 03-22-2010, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post
You are a special little troll. I can't say I've ever seen a troll reference their own troll attempt from another thread as if it was stated by another poster. Bravo young man, bravo.
Actually another poster mentioned that before I did, I believe it was Janett something or other? I am not the only one who finds this disgusting! There is probably many other threads about this same park, on many different forums in this area.

Old 11-10-2010, 05:38 PM

11 posts, read 29,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisanew View Post
My family is also moving to the Covington, KY area. I've been researching neighborhoods, etc. like you. Have you checked out nationalalertregistery.com. I found it very helpful if you know zip codes that you are interested in. It really narrowed our search. Hope this helps. Goodluck with your move.
If you actually want to live in the city of Covington, you might want to check out the Fort Wright area, or Park Hills. Also look at Taylor Mill. FWIW
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky