Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 10:37 PM

104 posts, read 417,501 times

Advertisements

Progressive in Western Kentucky means they serve alcohol on Sunday. Progressive in Central Kentucky means if you're gay or lesbian you will not be the center of attention everywhere you go. Progressive in Eastern Kentucky means you've got indoor plumbing. (that was a joke) You know you could live in Berea and probably get your PhD in Richmond at EKU. Bowling Green is also pretty progressive. Paducah is just wide open like New Orleans. Murray is Mayberry with a nice sized university.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2006, 06:33 AM

458 posts, read 2,290,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmanonthewall View Post
Progressive in Western Kentucky means they serve alcohol on Sunday. Progressive in Central Kentucky means if you're gay or lesbian you will not be the center of attention everywhere you go. Progressive in Eastern Kentucky means you've got indoor plumbing. (that was a joke) You know you could live in Berea and probably get your PhD in Richmond at EKU. Bowling Green is also pretty progressive. Paducah is just wide open like New Orleans. Murray is Mayberry with a nice sized university.
Thanks for the thoughts. I like the idea of living in Berea if I could still get my PhD. Of course, I do still need to visit Berea...

It's terrible but the only thing I know about Paducah has to do with the school shootings there several years ago.

Murray always comes up but since they only have Master's degrees I don't think it's my town.

Bowling Green is great, but again I hate to commute for a degree...

Old 10-30-2006, 04:58 AM

3,454 posts, read 3,378,593 times
speaking of progressive college towns, what are the towns of Richmond, Morehead, and Cambellsville like? also, i'd like info on Frankfort, and Danville, if anyone knows. also, anyone know any info about the economic condition of Owensboro, and how that town is like? (since i remember reading there was a 4 year college in town, albeit even if it isn't well known)

i'm looking to move to a smaller town or small to medium-size city after i graduate from college(as i'm expecting to do so in about 2 years), and i'd like to know any info i can find about these communities(hey, i say it probably never hurts to ask or plan too early your future plans...). i'm especially interested in learning more info about Richmond, due to it being a medium-sized town, and its proximity to Lexington. certain questions in particular i'm wondering about the towns i mentioned is how well the job opportunities are in these towns, how much variety in terms of ethnic restaurants can you find in any of these towns, and how accepting are they to newcomers? thanks very much to anyone who can help fill me in on this info.

Old 12-25-2006, 10:40 AM

5 posts, read 19,062 times
I have been an adjunct professor at some of the universities in Kentucky after moving here from Chicago about 10 years ago. When it comes to progressiveness, Lexington (University of Kentucky) is really the place to be. University of Louisville is also a great school, but I don't find the Louisville community to be as progressive as Lexington...but both are really nice communities to live. Richmond, home of EKU is just about 40 minutes (if that) down the interstate from Lexington as a nice college town (I worked for EKU for a time and still interact with the university on projects that I work now).

Old 12-26-2006, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by socialworker View Post
I have been an adjunct professor at some of the universities in Kentucky after moving here from Chicago about 10 years ago. When it comes to progressiveness, Lexington (University of Kentucky) is really the place to be. University of Louisville is also a great school, but I don't find the Louisville community to be as progressive as Lexington...but both are really nice communities to live. Richmond, home of EKU is just about 40 minutes (if that) down the interstate from Lexington as a nice college town (I worked for EKU for a time and still interact with the university on projects that I work now).
THANKS for that comment. We have settled on Lexington, KY now in our minds and are planning a visit in May. I can hardly wait to visit. We are even persuading my husbands parents to check it out and move from expensive Southern CA!

Old 12-26-2006, 07:25 AM

850 posts, read 3,159,019 times
Good for You!

I don't think you will regret the decision. And, the wonderful thing about Kentucky, the interstate system is so that you may travel from Lexington to Louisville to Elizabethtown and all points in between and further - a great way to get a feel for the culture and hit all of the art shows, festivals,ballgames, etc.

And don't forget Derby! If you are coming in May, make sure to hit Louisville before the first Saturday - so many things to do! Actually,
April would be great - "Thunder Over Louisville" cannot be beaten anywhere!

( see the site for the Kentucky Derby Festival)

Welcome!

KimmieyKY

Old 01-20-2007, 07:42 AM

9 posts, read 32,216 times
Default College towns

I'd recommend the city of Danville (Centre College). Centre is a very small (approx. 1,100 students) liberal arts college with a beautiful campus and small student/teacher ratio. Son graduated there 3 years ago so we had many opportunities to visit. One poster noted that it wasn't a typical "college town" - that may be because the campus is so small and when the kids want weekend fun, Lexington is a 25 mile drive.

Danville is a semi-wet town as of 3-4 years ago (liquor served in restaurants of a certain size). Many of the citizens are sophisticated (some would say snobbish), but overall very friendly and the town is absolutely BEAUTIFUL and full of state HISTORY.

Centre also hosts major artistic venues (we saw Smokey Robinson, ARt Garfunkle and others who have performed at the arts center on campus include the Beach Boys, world-reknown orchestras, Natalie Cole, a variety to please any tastes. And the city itself is not very large and does have a small-town feel. I know nothing of the employment/job outlooks there though (but, it is fairly close to Lexington for commuters).

Good luck with your relocation; we are in the process of moving from Paintsville to Winchester (Winchester is also within a 20 minute drive of Lex., but not a college town).

Old 01-20-2007, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by US_UK View Post
I'd recommend the city of Danville (Centre College). Centre is a very small (approx. 1,100 students) liberal arts college with a beautiful campus and small student/teacher ratio. Son graduated there 3 years ago so we had many opportunities to visit. One poster noted that it wasn't a typical "college town" - that may be because the campus is so small and when the kids want weekend fun, Lexington is a 25 mile drive.

Danville is a semi-wet town as of 3-4 years ago (liquor served in restaurants of a certain size). Many of the citizens are sophisticated (some would say snobbish), but overall very friendly and the town is absolutely BEAUTIFUL and full of state HISTORY.

Centre also hosts major artistic venues (we saw Smokey Robinson, ARt Garfunkle and others who have performed at the arts center on campus include the Beach Boys, world-reknown orchestras, Natalie Cole, a variety to please any tastes. And the city itself is not very large and does have a small-town feel. I know nothing of the employment/job outlooks there though (but, it is fairly close to Lexington for commuters).

Good luck with your relocation; we are in the process of moving from Paintsville to Winchester (Winchester is also within a 20 minute drive of Lex., but not a college town).
Thanks for the advice! I appreciate it very much.

Old 01-21-2007, 03:52 PM

6 posts, read 19,203 times
If you end up in Lexington, I seriously doubt you will have any regrets. I lived in Lexington for several yrs and worked for UK. Great town, great people. Also, Lexington is on Money magazine's top 25 smartest cities in the US.

http://money.cnn.com/2006/08/29/real...ties/index.htm

Good luck!

Old 01-21-2007, 07:31 PM

17 posts, read 48,561 times
I've lived in KY all my life and currently live in Louisville. I really like it. I have visited Lexington many times and I would rather live in Louisville. To me there is more to do and more activities. Both are great towns, however. Good luck on your decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky