Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 09:23 AM

329 posts, read 1,099,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
I am fine... I had overlooked the link, until after my response was past editing. I am sorry that I took offense. Bad hair day for a bald man.
Now Tom.. that was THE BEST... hands down funny and sincere apologies I've ever read. Thank you for the smile!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2007, 10:06 AM

965 posts, read 4,502,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Topic View Post
I was making a general statement about revisionists like Joe Gresham who take a few facts, omit tons of contrary facts, and then use it to make a political statement. They hit my sore point in that many of them try to persuade people the the Civil War had nothing to do with slavery. Being a history buff with the Civil War as my favorite area of history, these guys really get my goat.

As to cherry picking, Gresham portrays the "secession" session of the legislature as the will of the people. But he neglects to mention that the duly elected legislature was still in session in Franfort, that these secession legislators meet in behind Confederate lines and fled Kentucky when the southern troops retreated. Nor did he mention the two 1861 elections in Kentucky that both went overwhelming for unionists candidates. I could go on and on, but those are just two glaring examples. (Referring to his fellow citizens from the north as the "enemy" is another example of his extremism - I don't think "wacko" is too strong a word for him at all.)

As to my sources, much of it just came from my reading, but I did a quick fact check on Wikipedia. Here are two articles that discuss the situation much more fully than he or I did.

Kentucky in the American Civil War - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This one mentions the situation in the Jackson Purchase area:

Confederate government of Kentucky - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But there are literally thousands of books written by unbiased historians who would confirm what I've said. There is a good reason guys like Gresham are out on the fringe.

My goodness, OT, such knowledge! It's all I can do to answer what day is this, where am I, and who are you?! I think you may have a future conducting tours in museums when you retire!

Old 08-24-2007, 09:10 PM

1,448 posts, read 4,793,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgo View Post
My goodness, OT, such knowledge! It's all I can do to answer what day is this, where am I, and who are you?! I think you may have a future conducting tours in museums when you retire!
It's the curse of being a history major! And actually, I have thought about volunteering in museums when I retire. So it won't be enough that I bore you here; next I will be boring you in person!

Old 09-03-2007, 02:31 AM

246 posts, read 1,057,504 times
Default highliner

What a big surprise it is, to discover that Joe Gresham is still full of crap-not! If you go to Wikipedia, look at the fate of Beriah S. Magoffin, and you'll see readily enough how feeble the Confederate movement was in the Blue Grass State. While a group of idiots did convene in Frankfort to 'establish' a secessionist state, they were never representative of more than about three percent of the state's populace, and were quickly arrested and their little party dissolved. Oh, and the next time somebody tells you about how quick Tennessee was to secede, just ask them why it took FOUR statewide referendums, over two years, for the voters to pass a bill of secession for their governor to sign.

Old 09-03-2007, 05:12 PM

Default highliner

Although I cannot confirm it, my father swears that Tennessee was the last state to commit to , and carry out secession from the United States. Does anyone here know for certain if this is accurate?

Old 09-04-2007, 09:00 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,793,542 times
As usual, your father is right!

"Having ratified by popular vote its connection with the fledgling Confederacy, Tennessee became the last state to withdraw from the Union."
Tennessee in the American Civil War - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And here's an interesting quote from that article:

"The American Civil War, to a large extent, was fought in cities and farms of Tennessee—only Virginia had more battles."

Old 11-11-2007, 03:12 PM

9 posts, read 47,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Topic View Post
You cannot say it's a myth that we "leaned" towards the Union when more Kentuckians were dying for the Union than for the Confederacy.
If numbers alone were determinative, then South Carolina and Mississippi which were majority black would have been Union.

Old 04-08-2008, 12:10 PM

1 posts, read 1,482 times
I'm, well, scared to think that you are a history major. It's pitiful what they pump into malleable minds these days. Then again, you are a product of the public indoctrination centers, I am sure. Kentucky WAS, in fact, the last state to secede. Moreover, it's the ONLY state which knows what star it's represented by on the Confederate battle flag. It's the center star, making it the THIRTEENTH state to secede. Count 'em, buddy. They're all there. If Kentucky didn't secede and wasn't the TRUE Kentuckian's will to do so, why is there a 13th star? Can you answer that? No. I'm sure you cannot. (By the way, I refer to true Kentuckians because most Kentuckians moved into Tennessee and Missouri because it had, originally, been a "neutral state", and they wished to fight for the cause. Now then... with Kentucky being a neutral state, it basically was keeping the original occupants from going along with the Confederacy (as they WISHED) but allowing YANKEES to move in and become puppets in Frankfort and places alike. That is why voting went the way it did, and why the true secession was held in Russellville.) Thank you very much, sir.

Old 04-09-2008, 12:27 AM

Default highliner

Sorry(NOT!!) to bust your bubble junior, but Kentucky never seceded. Never. Never. Never. Keep posting that uneducated crap so long as you like, but you will never make it become true. We were always a state whose majority of citizens opposed the confederate movement. That is why the confederacy fared quite poorly here, and so didn't stay long. By the way, how could the secession have occurred in any city but Frankfort, our beloved capital?

Old 04-09-2008, 12:36 AM

Default highliner

Can anyone see, any substantiation of the assertions listed the revisionist's post? Most Kentuckians moved to Mo or TN? Yankees slipped in to take over the state legislature? hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaha! What insipid drivel! Say, were any of these 'Yankee infiltrators' among the civil war era legislators, who subsequently had counties named after them? Um, no, junior, they weren't. But all of them were Unionists. Care to explain away THAT little fly in the ointment? Well, no, I didn't think that you would.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky