Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2011, 10:15 AM

2 posts, read 2,589 times

Advertisements

Hi, my name is Jamie

My husband works for GE up here in Minnesota and he has taken a job down at Appliance Park. He leaves at the end of April, the kids and I will stay until June so they can finish school

We are looking for a good place to live, we look at Mt. Washington and Shelbyville (online) and like those areas, but would also like a little bit more information on Louisville

I read on another forum that if you have kids in school in Louisville that they can be transferred to any school at any time in the district. Is this the case? The kids will be in 3rd and kindergarten starting in September 2011

Are there any areas to avoid?

Any other information would be great

Just saw this:

-Where you are working--Appliance Park--GE
-How much you are willing to spend on housing--We are looking to rent right now, need 4 bedrooms, up to $1700 a month
-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate--40 minutes or under unless it's a fab house or city
-If you have kids: Private school or public school? --Public
-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight?--Doesn't matter as long as crime is low and schools are good
-Community amenities important to you--stores somewhat nearby
-Pie or cake?--Pie--Banana Cream all the way
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 03:52 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,308,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbraun008 View Post
Hi, my name is Jamie

My husband works for GE up here in Minnesota and he has taken a job down at Appliance Park. He leaves at the end of April, the kids and I will stay until June so they can finish school

We are looking for a good place to live, we look at Mt. Washington and Shelbyville (online) and like those areas, but would also like a little bit more information on Louisville

I read on another forum that if you have kids in school in Louisville that they can be transferred to any school at any time in the district. Is this the case? The kids will be in 3rd and kindergarten starting in September 2011

Are there any areas to avoid?

Any other information would be great

Just saw this:

-Where you are working--Appliance Park--GE
-How much you are willing to spend on housing--We are looking to rent right now, need 4 bedrooms, up to $1700 a month
-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate--40 minutes or under unless it's a fab house or city
-If you have kids: Private school or public school? --Public
-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight?--Doesn't matter as long as crime is low and schools are good
-Community amenities important to you--stores somewhat nearby
-Pie or cake?--Pie--Banana Cream all the way
You will be at the low end of the Jefferson County pecking order. Jefferson County Public Schools (JCPS) is a political disaster at this moment. The racism is rampant (not my words), the travel from one end of the county to the far end is common, and teachers, who would be some of the best nationally are daily challenged with disciplinary issues and politics, politics, politics.

You will find living in the Mt. Washington area convenient to GE, but the Bullitt County Schools are struggling as an entity due to poverty and "they ain't never done it that way before" mentality.

You should find many nice homes in eastern Bullitt County within your rental budget.

Old 04-09-2011, 09:50 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,797,555 times
Suck it up and live in Oldham County.

It still has more affordable housing than the only other great school district in the area, Anchorage. Oldham Co. may have higher property taxes than Louisville-Jefferson County (and especially Anchorage), but the difference won't be significant. Anywhere you all live in the Louisville area won't break the back as far as buying a house goes, just find a community (in Oldham Co.) that best suits your lifestyle needs.

Furthermore, w/ Oldham Co., your DH can easily take US 42, I-71, KY 22 or KY 146 to the Gene Snyder Freeway (I-265) to Smyrna Road. Also, there are ample shopping opportunities just inside the Jefferson Co. line at The Summit (KY 22) and Springhurst (KY 1447). The Snyder Freeway will take DH to the AP; from the Oldham-Jefferson County line it would be about a 25 minute commute.

JCPS in Louisville has had ongoing districting and busing issues for the last 35 years. Shelby, Spencer and Bullitt Counties have your typical Kentucky school systems: rural and lousy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky