Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2023, 02:47 AM

3 posts, read 2,394 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We just booked out trip to Kauai and we are pretty excited. Visiting Kauai has been our dream for many years. We will be arriving towards mid-June for 10 nights. We are 2 adults and have no set agenda. We just want to unwind and relax, spend time at beaches (of course), a little bit of snorkeling, and a little bit of hiking. We are travelling on a budget so we will limit eating/drinking outside, paid activities, and shopping. Hence, restaurants/shopping are not much of a consequence for our trip planning. We want to stay in the best area possible to experience the "postcard Kauai".

We ended up booking a place in Princeville for all 10 days. We did this based on recommendation from my colleague who was born and brought up in Kauai and moved to mainland a few years ago for work. However, after watching a bunch of videos and reading blogs, I am starting to regret that decision a little bit. Should I have booked a few nights in Poipu as well? Is Poipu is really a "resort town" or is that an exaggeration?

We were initially planning to do 2 day trips to the south coast - One day to go to Waimea Canyon State Park and second day to see Poipu and surroundings. Do I really need more than 2 days to see the south shore? Other than drive time and gas, is there any advantage to staying for a few days in south? We got a good deal for accommodation in Princeville, so we did not think much before booking. Some of the youtubers are saying that Princeville has gotten over-crowded to an extent where they now prefer staying in Poipu instead. Also, I don't want to end up driving more than 2 days to south shore.

Did I do a mistake by booking my entire stay in Princeville? Should I try to change my booking and spend a few nights in south shore?

Mahalo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2023, 06:22 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,665,015 times
Kauai receives a lot of rain. We had to cut short one of our trips to Princeville due to rain. The island is small so you can always spend days on the other side.

Old 01-17-2023, 08:59 AM

6,384 posts, read 4,831,112 times
I've never been to Princeville when it wasn't raining. Glad I stayed at Poipu each time.

If it were me, I'd spend 5 days at each location, and enjoy both areas at a leisurely pace.

Old 01-17-2023, 12:11 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
Princeville should not be rainy in June. With that said, I'd break up the trip given a 10 day trip.

Old 01-17-2023, 11:45 PM

483 posts, read 624,414 times
You will love the Princeville area and North shore in June. Kauai is a small Island, no worry about seeing the rest of Kauai. If you were here now through April/May I would say rebook to Poipu area.

I wouldn't worry about too much rain in June. Might get a little here and there, usually at night. And 2 days is enough to see what's on the South and West side of the Island.

Just get on the road early to avoid traffic. We usually try to get through Wailua on the East side before 11am on weekdays. The county puts up contra flow cones, so 2 lanes heading South. They start taking away the contra flow at 11am. Then we have 2 lanes heading North up to Kapaa.

Local schools will be out so between visitors and locals some places will get crowded, but it's not hard to find your own quiet spot o venture or relax.

Enjoy your stay...aloha!

Old 01-18-2023, 01:06 AM

3 posts, read 2,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kauailover View Post
You will love the Princeville area and North shore in June. Kauai is a small Island, no worry about seeing the rest of Kauai. If you were here now through April/May I would say rebook to Poipu area.

I wouldn't worry about too much rain in June. Might get a little here and there, usually at night. And 2 days is enough to see what's on the South and West side of the Island.

Just get on the road early to avoid traffic. We usually try to get through Wailua on the East side before 11am on weekdays. The county puts up contra flow cones, so 2 lanes heading South. They start taking away the contra flow at 11am. Then we have 2 lanes heading North up to Kapaa.

Local schools will be out so between visitors and locals some places will get crowded, but it's not hard to find your own quiet spot o venture or relax.

Enjoy your stay...aloha!
Thank you. Do you recommend taking the bypass road during any particular times?

Old 01-25-2023, 09:30 PM

483 posts, read 624,414 times
If your heading South and don't need to make any stops in Kapaa, it usually is best to take the bypass road no matter what time of day. But today due to road work, we spent 40 minutes in traffic on the bypass in bumper to bumper crawling traffic.
You just have to roll with things and not be in a hurry here.
Aloha

Old 04-05-2023, 08:53 PM

45 posts, read 67,717 times
The rainy season ends in April. June will be lovely on the north shore. if you surf or want to, you are more likely to find it southside in the summer.

Otherwise, the canyon or swamp trail is a must-see and a one-day event. I would stay on the north shore for the whole trip myself. Boat trips down the Napali leaving out of the north shore are more scenic as well.

If you stay southside for a few nights, 2-3 is enough, then also do the Mahaulepu Heritage trail that starts at shipwrecks. It's stunning, sandy and windy so no mosquitos or mud. It's like the wind softened counter on the opposite side of the rugged Napali. The blowhole is neat at sunset. I would do a dinner at the Beach House, leave early for cocktails and pupus on the lawn while watching the surfers and sunset. A helicopter tour will not disappoint. They all leave out of Lihue or Southside.

If you plan to do the Napali trail, you need to reserve permits ahead of time.

The Northshore is all about the mountain mana..........geez...........just............wow.. .........

Snorkel at Tunnels, do the Nepali boat trip, make advanced resos at Baracuda for dinner and another early dinner at AMA for the view. Spend a morning in Hanalei town just chillin' watching time stand still; pure magic. Hanalei Bay/beach is out of this world with the waterfall mountain backdrop. Get a shave ice and try a food truck. Paddle up the River, and another day hike the stone dam trail.

Be kind, expect a slow pace and enjoy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai