Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2017, 06:45 PM

5 posts, read 7,563 times

Advertisements

Hello, I have recently accepted a teaching job on the west side of Kauai - Waimea. We are moving from the southeast coast. I have no idea where to even start and time is drawing near. I need to be in Kauai by Jul 15. PLease share any suggestions, referrals, tips on housing, shipping, furniture to bring or buy on island, schools for children, etc. I am reaching out to as many people as possible to get a good idea of where to go and how to get started. I am not bringing any pets, my car is a Kia, we are a family of three - one child. I appreciate anything you can share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2017, 10:12 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,106,558 times
Check Craig's List for housing and mention to the landlords that you've got a teaching job at the school. Teachers are well respected in Hawaii and you'll be considered a community resource and a good tenant. Find housing close to the school since you'll possibly be doing a lot of after school activities. Also, the closer you get to the school you'll be teaching at, the more likely your new landlord's kids are either going there or graduated from there so they will think kindly on you since you'll be teaching there.

Ship the car (you can't ship things in it, though). Check Craig's List to see what sorts of furniture are available. If you could only bring suitcases and things shipped via USPS, it would be the least expensive way to relocate. They do have a 'book rate' or 'media rate' which is really inexpensive, but it can only contain books or media. Anything else and they charge you the higher rate when it gets here. You can ship them via "Your Name, General Delivery, Name of Town postoffice, zipcode".

You won't need a lot of dress up clothes, but one or two might be useful at some point. Sorta what you'd wear to church. Teachers are respectable folks and it's a small island that soon everyone will know you're the teacher. Teaching will be in casual clothes, no need for much dress up, but nice casual clothes is good. Make up and nylons aren't really required, most times they're kinda miserable in the humidity.

Natural fibers are good, cottons, silks, linen, etc. Polyester is sheer misery, don't even bother to bring it. Leather items have a tendency to mildew if you're on the windward side or the wet side of any of the islands.

If you have family treasures you want to keep, if you'd be able to box them up and store them in a relative's attic, it would save on shipping them over until you know you're gonna stay in the islands.

Old 05-24-2017, 10:26 AM

227 posts, read 920,950 times
Be prepared when you come because where you are staying is the hottest part of the island...I have never lived on that side of the island. Are you teaching at the high school? Of the 4 on the island it has a reputation of being a little on the rough side. And the smallest of the 3 public schools. The families there have gone to school there for generations so a lot of community pride.

Old 05-24-2017, 10:40 AM

Hello,
No I am teaching at the middle school. Where I live, we can sometimes get into the 90 degrees weather for many days/weeks. How hot is hot? What is the humidity like? I love the idea of community pride.

Old 05-24-2017, 12:49 PM

28 posts, read 39,402 times
Depending on where in the southeast you're coming from, there's a good chance that you won't mind Kauai's humidity at all. I lived in Houston for a few years and its summers are much worse, both in temperature and humidity, than here.

Old 05-24-2017, 01:06 PM

1,178 posts, read 5,949,632 times
Here's rainfall and temperature information for Kauai. Look at the info for Kekaha, which is right next to Waimea:

Hawaii Weather Guide with Maui, Oahu, Big Island and Kauai Rainfall Maps

Old 05-24-2017, 08:17 PM

Thank you so much for the link!

Old 05-24-2017, 08:20 PM

Thank you so much for all of the tips. Yeah, downsizing my closet is definitely going to be an issue. I love clothes but also looking forward to being in an environment where the need for 35 pairs of shoes does not exist.

Old 05-26-2017, 12:36 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,464,580 times
The west side can get in the 90s but usually there are some trade winds to help cool things off. Still lots of places don't have AC and on a hot day, you can feel the heat.

Waimea is about 45 mins to Lihue and that ride can feel long. You might want to think about living in Hanapepe or Eleele but housing is usually less in Waimea or Kekaha. The west side is also more local. It's my favorite part of the island.

Depending on how old your car is, you might want to sell it.cars take a beating in the salt air and its not hard to get a used car. Best wishes with everything!

Old 05-26-2017, 02:21 PM

Thank you so much for your advice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai
View detailed profiles of: