Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 01:59 PM

1,178 posts, read 5,943,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasualEntrepreneur View Post
HankDfrmSD, Fantastic post, Exactly what I was hoping for – Thank you sir!

Curious, why the switch from vacation to long-term rental?

What would you say your top three challenges/problems are operating as a vacation rental?

Based on the figures you mentioned, what would you budget for taxes, insurance, and utilities?

Would love to see The house, what keywords would you recommend to Google?

Thank you so much for sharing !!
Considering switching because my son will soon retire, wants to travel, and you can't when you have to cover every turnover.

Finding the right place to advertise. Finding the right place to advertise. Finding the right ..............

Here are actual expense figures 2016:

Advertising
Association Fees
Cleaning and Maintenance
Member fees (Costco and Hawaii Visitors Bureau)
Repairs
Supplies
Taxes (Hawaii GET and TAT)
Telephone
Cable
Electric
Gas
Water
Insurance
Prop tax

Keywords:
HankDfrmSD
VisitPrinceville
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2017, 04:36 PM

941 posts, read 1,967,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasualEntrepreneur View Post
Discovering the VDA rules helps since that would be a huge deciding factor in how you could rent out your property. Yet it seems that there are still investors actively looking to purchase pre-classified VDA to rent out. I wonder what they see...
Just a quick note:

VDA = visitor destination area, like a zoning category where vacation rentals are allowed.

TVR = transient vacation rental, the special permit needed to operate a vacation rental outside the VDA. The TVR # must appear in all advertising for the property and also posted outside the property I believe. And like I said, I think you still need a TVR permit inside the VDAs, just there's no problem receiving it. When people talk about TVRs, they are usually talking about all the issues and regulations around the ones outside the VDA.

The laws around issuing TVRs were vague, changed, loopholed, loosely enforced, and then changed again. I don't know the exact situation now and how existing TVR permits are grandfathered. It is possible some are transferable with a property and others are not, as conditions of issuance under different laws. Don't expect real-estate agents to know the details and laws that apply to any given property (same goes for building additional dwellings), it seems their ads always tout all the theoretical uses, not the actually legal ones.

Hank, welcome back and thanks for those numbers. The striking one is the 1.2 million current value. You can't purchase at that now and cover that mortgage with 83K gross and 35K net.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai