Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 10:30 AM

139 posts, read 180,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal-HI View Post
Anyone visiting Kauai can always pick up dog crap. After visiting a couple weeks ago, we nicknamed it dog crap island. What is with dog owners. They go hiking and either just let their dogs crap the trails or bother to bag the crap and let it sit at the side of the trail for everyone to enjoy in its bagged state forever. Just ridiculous. Same thing happens everywhere in America these days, but it was really uncanny while I was there. So, bring a few Tamura's grocery bags (they're nice and sturdy) and some rubber gloves to help restore the Garden Isle by picking up dog crap. We went back day #2 and picked up over two miles of bagged dog turds just because it hurt to see it in such an otherwise beautiful place. Peace!
Right on! Thank you for doing something "crappy", to make the place less "crappy"! HAHA!

Where I moved from, I used to be able to take a short drive from a huge metropolis, to a Native American reservation right next to a river. Immediately there was no hint of development, noise, concrete, asphalt, etc.; except for all of the trash that would be thrown out there. Every time I visited, I spent the first 30-45 minutes picking up bottles, cans, diapers, plastic bags, and various debris. I just couldn't stand seeing it, or relaxing with it all around me. The Tribe eventually closed it off to all. It was very depressing and a real loss of peacefulness that was in such close proximity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2017, 11:16 AM

2,481 posts, read 2,236,097 times
Plantastic...who was making the mess at the Reservation, the people who were visiting or the NA tribe members?
I can't tell by the way your post is written.

thanks

Old 01-30-2017, 11:51 AM

139 posts, read 180,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.magoo View Post
Plantastic...who was making the mess at the Reservation, the people who were visiting or the NA tribe members?
I can't tell by the way your post is written.

thanks
Visitors, almost assuredly.

It was a very popular place due to its location, proximity to the water, and no cost admission. Most of the people that I ever saw out there were obviously not tribe members. It was popular for barbeques, tubing in the water, and beer drinking! haha!

Old 01-31-2017, 09:27 AM

2,481 posts, read 2,236,097 times
Thanks for clarifying..
There is beach near me at my place in Puerto Rico..same deal, touristos come, mostly young Surfers from the States, mess the place up and then blame it on the local surfers.

Old 02-01-2017, 12:59 AM

941 posts, read 1,967,460 times
Kauai made the New York Times 20 years ago for being "trashed" and polluted. That lit a fire under the local authorities and it was better for a while. But it's been getting worse again ever since. Surfrider organization just spent $1500 to rent a front loader to remove a dozen junk cars near a beach--from the same area they did it last year. Trash and litter blowing out of pickups, trash bags and mattresses dumped down dead end roads, it's bad all over the island.

And then there are the tons (literally) of plastic washing up on beaches and remote shorelines from the Pacific trash gyre, everything from fishing net tangles, buoys, and crates (from fishing boats) to trash (plastic bottles, tooth brushes, plastic toys). There is often melted chunks of plastic, so I wonder if some countries aren't dumping incinerator waste into the ocean. Anyway, just imagine how much is out in the ocean when you see how much lands on these islands. Some times I see one or two small pieces of plastic land on the beach with every wave.

But to be honest, I walk a few trails regularly and don't see that much poop. Almost none on the trails and only occasionally a "forgotten" bag of poop.

Old 02-01-2017, 01:45 PM

306 posts, read 336,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KauaiHiker View Post
Kauai made the New York Times 20 years ago for being "trashed" and polluted. That lit a fire under the local authorities and it was better for a while. But it's been getting worse again ever since. Surfrider organization just spent $1500 to rent a front loader to remove a dozen junk cars near a beach--from the same area they did it last year. Trash and litter blowing out of pickups, trash bags and mattresses dumped down dead end roads, it's bad all over the island.
What beach was that? I saw them at Donkey's not too long ago, but I don't recall seeing scrap cars there.

Old 02-01-2017, 04:27 PM

941 posts, read 1,967,460 times
Anahola, on vacant Hawaiian Home lands inland of the coast. News articles:

November 2015: Anahola

January 2017: Surfrider pays to have abandoned cars removed - Local - Mobile Adv

Old 02-02-2017, 05:52 PM

747 posts, read 840,018 times
Perhaps a bit touristy, but very fun excursion to do is the tubing trip down the sugar cane irrigation ditches. Do a search on youtube, or Kauai Adventures to see this.

I could spend an entire day sitting and walking on Polihale Beach.
Yes, you have to have a rental car. They run cheap there.

Last edited by TRlaura; 02-02-2017 at 05:54 PM.. Reason: missed a word
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai