Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2014, 10:16 PM

182 posts, read 357,791 times

Advertisements

We arrived on Kaua'i just a little over two months ago, and so far I can say that it gets better every day that we're here. We've had an easy transition so far and are enjoying our life here. The move itself went very smoothly, thanks to Royal Hawaiian and Matson. We had absolutely NO issues shipping our household items and car. They were both worth every penny we paid. Drivers licences, car registration, etc. were all a snap. We brought just the right amount of stuff. Less is more definitely works when deciding what to bring with you to Hawai'i.

We feel incredibly fortunate to have gotten the house we did (we came one month before our actual move on a house-hunting trip, which turned out to be a smart move). It's one of the main reasons we feel so good about being here. Love, love, love having all the utilities included in our rent. The house is located on the second level, and it feels like we live in a treehouse - we have views of palm trees from every window, as well as great views of Sleeping Giant and other mountains. No A/C needed - we get breezes all day long. We have wonderful neighbors, and have a great, responsive landlord. The house is and has been well maintained, and is very clean. The refrigerator was working, but on its last legs when we moved in, but when we mentioned it, it was replaced promptly. Because the new fridge doesn't have an in-door water feature, the owner had also a high-end filtered water spigot installed at the sink for us - a nice surprise (we were planning to buy a Brita pitcher). The oven gave out last week (burners are still OK), but instead of repairing it, the owner decided again to replace it, and we will be getting a new range next week. We have learned to be patient though - nothing happens very quickly around here, even repairs. But it all gets done eventually, and you just have to work around the problem until it does get fixed. Haven't missed having a dishwasher.

Amazon Prime was a godsend the first month we were here - we used it to get all sorts of things that we hadn't moved or had forgotten to move or couldn't find here (cleaning supplies, toilet brushes, etc.). Drugstore.com also ships items free if you spend over $35; their shipping was faster than Amazon. We do shop at Walmart occasionally, something I never did on the mainland, but it's still my least favorite place to go, and I've never been inside K Mart. We went to Cost U Less and found several things at good prices there, but buy the most at Costco (the house has lots of storage space, and we brought a small chest freezer with us). We go to farmer's markets at least two times per week, sometimes three, for produce. Lilikoi is my new favorite fruit . We haven't done any clothes shopping since we arrived, so am not sure how that will go when the time comes.

We fortunately over-budgeted before we came for what our expenses would be here. Our rent is at the lower end of what we expected to pay, we have no utility costs, and gas for the car has been less than half of what we thought it would cost. Other expenses have been what we imagined or a bit less. Our food budget the last couple of months has been what we budgeted ($1000/month for 5), but some of that has gone to replacing pantry items we didn't bring and need (i.e. vinegar, sugar, etc.), and for buying some beach gear, so we'll see how it goes in the next couple of months. Food IS expensive here, but with careful shopping it can be manageable. I feel like we are eating better here than we did on the mainland. Anyway, we have a bit more disposable income than we thought we might, which is always nice. For those who are thinking of coming, do your research on what things cost and then add more (we added 30% - 50% more) - better to err on the side of budgeting too much than too little. CDH has lots of good information on the costs of daily living in Hawai'i for each of the islands.

Two of our daughters are attending the local high school, and so far so good. They find their classes challenging for the most part (mostly taking AP and honors classes), and other students have been friendly and helpful. They still haven't made any close friends yet, something they miss greatly from the mainland. They know it will happen though, but that it might take some time. Our oldest daughter found a fun, full-time job right away. She was going to go back to the mainland for college, but now is thinking of staying here for a year and saving up some more money.

Our toughest issue has been health care. My husband and I are still looking for a doctor (internist or family practice), but we did just find a pediatric clinic up in Kilauea that will take our two youngest daughters - they needed a local doctor to sign off on health forms to participate in school sports. According to what we've heard, several health providers left the island this summer, so these places aren't taking on new patients right now. Almost all said though that there have been new physician hires. They won't start until after Labor Day, so we should call back after that to see if we will be accepted. In the meantime, we are in good health, and our prescriptions will fill automatically (via mail) until sometime next year, so hopefully we will find a doctor before then.

If I had to complain about something, it would have been the humidity. It seemed oppressive, especially compared to Portland. But, I just got back from two weeks in Tokyo, and Hawaii's humidity isn't even farm league compared to the humidity there. It was brutal, like walking around in a hot sauna all the time. Now that I'm back home, the humidity here seems pleasant, and I love the way my skin feels. I constantly suffered from dry skin in Portland, but all that's gone here. Bugs have been minimal up in our house, although when we're at ground level the mosquitos can be intense at times.

So far it's all been good. I love seeing the ocean every day, and getting to the beach when we can. I love the slower, calmer pace of the island. I love saying I live here and getting the kama'aina discount! There's so much aloha here, and so many friendly, helpful people. Still, there is much to learn and experience - we are excited about the future here.

Last edited by ChezAloha; 08-15-2014 at 10:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2014, 09:10 AM

31 posts, read 62,593 times
So happy to hear you are having a great experience. Sounds like everything has fit into place for you. Thank you for the positive update! Hope to hear back from you from time to time.

Old 08-17-2014, 11:29 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,796,993 times
@ChezAloha

Mahalo i was hoping and praying you would have the experience you wantted and did. Good for you, you deserve it. You did the hard work or research and planning. Welcome to paradise lol.

Old 08-18-2014, 02:49 PM

198 posts, read 388,610 times
Wonderful. Please keep us updated. The utilities included in the rent is awesome. Most could never swing that. I would imagine that it is because there is only one meter at the house and it would be difficult to apportion and pay.

Just be careful not to abuse it (electricity) or you might get a rent increase.

Aloha and all my best

Old 09-03-2014, 06:47 PM

2 posts, read 3,762 times
Agreed....LOVE the great update thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai